Author Topic: John Bright Grammar School  (Read 41462 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: John Bright Grammar School
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2018, 06:13:16 pm »
I collected my magazines from Adam this afternoon Ian and thanks for going to so much trouble scanning them.   I've enjoyed looking at them and expect that many others will find them interesting.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
You're welcome, Hugo. I hope they provide as much pleasure for our members as they did for me.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2018, 04:19:31 pm »
Thank you all so much for supplying and scanning the JB Magazines  :) I really have enjoyed looking through them and found quite a few photographs of my brother and his friends, in various soccer & hockey teams, which I will pass on.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »
FACT OR FICTION

Over the years you often hear stories about places and wonder if they are true or not and Penrhyn Old Hall is no exception.   I've heard stories of ghosts and also the Priests hidden room in the chimney, I know the Priests story is true but the ghosts one, I'm not sure about.
Another story I was told years ago that there was a secret passage from Penrhyn Old Hall to some place on the Little Orme and I've never looked into that but if you are interested in such things then there is an article in the 1960 JBGS magazine at pg 043 and it's an interesting short story written by Susan Leah ( 4 Alpha ) that's worth a read

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2018, 07:30:16 am »
Hugo

The late Norman Tucker said that a tunnel discovered when the tramway was being constructed on Penrhyn Hill was an old lead mine.  He thought the existence of the tunnel gave rise to the suggestions there was a passage from the hall to the Little Orme.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2018, 08:32:38 am »
Thanks Cambrian,  I did read that bit many years ago but didn't realise that Norman Tucker wrote it, I think that because the Pugh family from Penrhyn Old Hall were Catholics and were persecuted the suggestion of a passage was an escape route for the family if needed.

A similar story existed in Rhuddlan where there is an old banqueting hall in Princess Street. It was said that a passage led from the hall to the castle and was used when the Banqueting Hall was threatened.  It remained just that until I read an article in the local paper many years ago confirming the existence of a passage there

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2018, 05:05:18 pm »
I,be just been reading about Beckham and Kane. whilst at Grammar Scool being told that they had to play Rugby, Football not being allowed. I remember when Rugby was first introduced at John Bright Grammar school. I wasn’ interested, so remained in the changing room. The new Rugby teacher found me and ordered me to put on my kit and join the others on the field saying “ That it was a great game for fitness and character “. I looked up at his cauliflower ear, broken nose and scarred face and replied that it hadn’ Done much for him. From then on I was Persona non Grata and never did play Rugby. I left shortly after to take an Apprenticeship as  Tool Maker. Best decision I ever made, gave me a career for life.  :)
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »
If it's the same Rugby teacher as I think it could be, I remember when I was travelling on the school bus to Holywell  he gave me a rollocking because I wasn't wearing the regulation school trousers.

When we arrived at Holywell he then found out that the first team for Rugby was one player short and asked me to make up the numbers.   I very politely refused to play as I didn't like rugby either and I didn't like the teacher too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2018, 02:34:17 pm »
Looking through the 1963 magazine reminded me of our form teacher Mr H H Hughes or "woody" as we called him.    He was a good teacher and a very nice guy but we did play a few tricks on him but he had obviously forgiven me for it because we used to see each other years later when we played golf at Maesdu Golf Course.
I was talking to my friends and fellow classmates Kenneth Jackson and Mervyn Roberts in recent years and we had a laugh about Mr Hughes and detention after school.
Mr Hughes had a wicked sense of humour and our detention was until 5 o'clock, I had no problem with that as I just lived around the corner but Ken and Merv both lived in Llandudno Junction and their train left at 5 o'clock sharp.   Woody could see them squirm when it was near 5 o'clock but a few minutes before the time he would let them out and off they would run as fast as they could to catch the train
Sadly both Ken and Merv died recently both aged 71, two nice guys

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2018, 07:57:11 pm »
JB (comp then). I got sent to Joe Butler (head master for the junior block – I think it was a Mr Garfield Rees at the main block) for fiddling with the innards of a water pistol in the canteen and squirting water.  I got 1 week lunch and evening detentions for that but my form mistress (the generally kindly CM Jones – she was a nice old school [geography] teacher) persuaded me to go back and ask for two weeks lunch time because of Pydew and transport.

The grammar I went to afer then had Saturday morning detentions of which I picked up about 2 or there did YJB ever do them?

Thought I’d once got away with one of my offences in that school as HM and I had a good chat but it ended with the nice “btw, you’d better take a week of detentions” but I guess in those days, there, you just say “thank you sir”...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:11 am »
I remember Saturday Morning detentions.  I suspect they were popular in Grammar schools in the late '50s / early '60s.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2020, 04:52:42 pm »
Hi. I was in JBGS until 3a in 1953. I engineered my departure (hated what I felt was the snob ethos there) when I was 15. My real fame was as the owner of a wire haired fox terrier called Paddy who had the habit of following me to school and appearing in assembly from whence I was ordered to take him home. But no matter what collection of security arrangements were tried, Paddy always managed to subvert them!  He was featured in the (I think) 1952 mag. I'm sure when I was there, rugby was introduced to the school by a new teacher, Hoppy. I played briefly, until I was thrown out, and enjoyed it.
Micox