Author Topic: John Bright Grammar School  (Read 41358 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: John Bright Grammar School - Houses
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2018, 07:43:01 am »
It's probably statistically normal but I was surprised at the number of children who had died in JB. Not in the school of course, but in different ways.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2018, 03:26:27 pm »
The 1963 Magazine is now scanned and uploaded to the usual destination.

An interesting feature of this one is the mildly satirical tone which has started to creep into reports and articles, possibly inspired by the rash of satirical programming on BBC, led by Frosts's That Was The Week That Was.

Some excellent items, as always, but each magazine treated the type setting differently.  In the 1962 mag the spacing was wider and the page printing  format smaller than the 1960 and 1963 magazines.  One interesting aspect is that quite a few of the pages are not set square, which had me thinking for a while that it was my scanning.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2018, 03:56:03 pm »
Thanks Ian,  I've had a look at the article on 5 Gamma and apparently Mr Rogers used to wait  patiently for my homework!   That's escaped my memory but it must have been true.       ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:48 pm »
I suspect they may simple have forgotten to include your for the previous issue  If so, that's unforgivable.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2018, 08:07:30 pm »
The 1964 JBGS Magazine is now uploaded and available to view.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2018, 07:31:52 am »
I suspect they may simple have forgotten to include your for the previous issue  If so, that's unforgivable.

It's strange why our class wasn't on the list but it's not important and was probably just an oversight on someone's part.  I've got a couple more memories of my time involving the head Mr S O Rees but I'll save them for another time.     

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2018, 01:22:56 pm »
The 1965 magazine is now in place.  I should finish the 1966 one today after which I'll open a new album for the adverts - they're as much of a social commentary as the magazines themselves.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2018, 02:13:25 pm »
I can remember some of the adverts were from parents whose children were in JBGS and it was an eye opener to see how the town has changed over the years.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: John Bright Grammar School
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2018, 04:27:05 pm »
The 1966 magazine is now uploaded and tomorrow I'll make a start on the final one, the 1959 magazine.  Thanks again to both Bri and Hugo for their generosity in lending them to me to scan.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2018, 07:04:51 pm »
You are very welcome, Ian.

Am I now in a position to call and collect my seven mags from where I dropped them off?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2018, 08:26:48 am »
Not yet, Bri; I still need to check I've got all the adverts - which should be done today - and then I'll PM you with the info as to when they'll be back.  Thanks again, though; fascinating stuff.

Offline George

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2018, 10:14:14 am »
Hi Hugo, yes I'm afraid that you are quite right about Ian Butler, he died of cancer in his neck,  A very good friend of mine and I'll always remember he used to call my mum 'Mrs Lady'.  He was a real wit and is sadly missed by all of his classmates

Offline George

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2018, 10:28:25 am »
Hi Ian, I can't thank you enough for all the trouble that you have gone to to upload all of the JBGS School Magazines onto the forum.  What a fantastic job!  So many memories.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2018, 10:46:25 am »
You're welcome, George.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2018, 11:11:43 am »
The 1959 magazine is now being uploaded. I'll then create another album specifically for the adverts.  In particular, look out for the Baxters Meat ads, which changed each year and some of which would attract a fair number of complaints, nowadays, if they weren't actually illegal.