Author Topic: John Bright Grammar School  (Read 41398 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: John Bright Grammar School - Houses
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 11:05:07 pm »
Hugo, it is interesting you still have the JBGS mags for 1959 and 1960.

By coincidence, I still have the mags for 1961-1966 in pristine condition.

Btw, Richie Jones from Conway Road is still local and lives over in Deganwy.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
Bri: I've suggested to Hugo that he lends me his copy so I can scan it and post the entire mag in the gallery.  If you'd be agreeable I can send you details of how to pass the mags to me so I can do it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:24 am »
Thanks Bri,  that's the same Richie that was in our team. He is in the centre of the back row in the photo.  I'm at the end of the players on the right at the back row.
The last time I saw Richie was in Tesco's many years ago

I'm afraid that my JBGS magazines are the worse for wear but I only look at them on the odd occassion

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:28 am »
That is a great photo, Hugo.

I would never have known that was Richie.

Together with Allan the Milk, the three of us went and sat together at Old Trafford for the period that Mr Ferguson was in charge.

However, I can easily recognise a few of your team mates.

Ian, to do what you want to do will it involve splitting up the pages of the magazines because I am not too keen on that, if it does?

They truly are pristine.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 01:37:07 pm »
Not at all, Bri.  I would simply scan them in position as part of the booklet and do everything else in post processing. The originals wouldn't be harmed in any way.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 03:31:46 pm »
No problem, Ian.

Normally, I bring them down from the loft every Xmas together with my collection of old football programmes.

They stay down until it is time for me to put the Xmas decs back up.

Will it be alright to leave them until then or would you like to make an early start on them?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 04:12:35 pm »
I'll send you a PM, Bri.

Offline George

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 10:27:15 am »
Hi Hugo, many, many thanks for the photos of our school magazine, what a trip down memory lane they are for me.  I'm going to pass them onto all of my classmates that I am in contact with, they will be blown away. You mentioned Richard Jones, well he was, and still is, one of my best mates.  Unfortunately he is not in the best of health, he has been suffering from COPD for the last 10 years and is struggling a bit.  He lives at (address removed by admin).  On another rather sad note the magazine mentions Hallam Lees well I'm sorry to say that he has passed away along with another nine members of our class, that we know off.  I'm happy to say though that all the girls mentioned in the magazine are still alive and kicking!  Nery's however, never did get to be an Air Hostess, she owns the Warwick Hotel in Church Walks in Llandudno.  If you'd like to carry on chatting about times past in JBGS it may be easier by email.  You can get me at popsatforbeshill@gmail.com, if you want.  By the way, I walked out of JBGS early as well, just like you.  Cheers for now, George
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:51:42 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 10:53:39 am »
George: sorry I had to remove the address.  I can still let Hugo know it, but this is a completely open forum so it's not wise to post contact details of any sort in the open.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 05:11:31 pm »
Hi George and Ian,   I am going to take up Ian's kind offer of scanning the books as they may  be of interest to other former pupils of JBGS.
Bri Roberts has the ones from 1961 to 1966 so if they are scanned also, then you'll be able to follow your class up to the time that you left school.
Richie was the old fashioned type of centre forward and very effective too, I don't keep in touch with anyone from my JBGS days but saw Ritchie at a funeral when Jeff Berrington died some years ago and the last time I saw him after that was at Tesco's.   I'm sorry to hear that he's in bad health now.
I can't say that I remember a lot of names from the school that were ahead of me other than those who played football. I remember Anne Hare and here brother Dudley who was in another football team with me

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 12:49:50 pm »
Hugo, I played in the Maggie Murphys football team with Dudley during the early seventies and didn’t realise he also played in another team, unless you also played for Maggies?  ;)

P.S - I have also agreed with Ian to lend him my school mags.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »
It was much earlier when Dudley played for the Llandudno Youth Centre.     This photo was taken at the Borough United's old ground when we played Maesgeirchen in the final of the North Wales Youth Clubs. I think that it was C1961  and I was about 14 years old then and the youngest player in the team.
We beat Maes G   2-1   and Roy Babbs scored the winning goal

Dudley is third from the left in the back row of the photo and I am next to him ( 2nd left back row )    I think that he was centre half in that game and he was a good strong player, in fact he seemed to be good at all sports.

I haven't seen him for about 50 years and I haven't seen Anne for about that long either although I believe that they both still live in the area

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 01:34:49 pm »
Nice pic, Hugo.

Apart from Dudley, I only recognise Begsy and Mr Lister.

I had an uncle over in the Jct who once told me he helped to pay for that grandstand and also helped bring it to Nantycoed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 02:30:47 pm »
Borough United have had some really good teams over the years and deserved a grandstand like that.  For your info Bri  the team in the photo is made up of the following players:-

Back row left to right     Joe Jones,  Brian Hughes, Dudley Hare, Elias Williams,  Glyn Lister,  Alan McElroy
Front row left to right    Derek Williams, Jeff Berrington, Roy Babbs,  David Rawling, Simon Hughes

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 02:42:35 pm »
A photo from the 1960 JBGS magazine.   Is that Hallam in the back row second from the left?