Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 207625 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 07:38:34 pm »
There is another famous quote on the subject...

''he who establishes himself as the guardian of all knowledge,is a paranoid and insecure toss-pot''

I think you can guess who uttered this gem.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 07:47:43 pm »
Hi Fester,

The Business Plan was discussed at Cabinet on the 7th December:
http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=171&MId=2284&Ver=4

But it was an exempt item and hence the detail is unavailble. I belive the item was exempt as it was in essense the internal bid for the tender for the Management team. Hence it included financial and other information that could give other tenders an advantage should they bid or challange the decision that the tendering process was closed down.
This should now become a public document, or at least parts of it so that people can see the direction the management team want to move the Venue.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »
Thanks Jason.

Indeed it should become public information now.  (I can feel a FOI request coming on)

I am not interested in the detail of any bids or tenders,  what I am more interested in is,

1, What are the management's targets and objectives for performance improvement at VC
2, What strategy have the management devised to meet these objectives.
3, What consequences will be faced if the management fail to acheive their objectives.

Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 10:45:46 pm »
I've just said about this in another topic, they just never have anything I want to see, the last time I went was to see Jethro in October 2009 and he was very funny (and chatted to us for 20mins before the show, great bloke!)   _))*

Ah Jethro. I always preffered his Sister Ellie May myself.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:56 pm »
The End of Market Test report on Venue Cymru has been published:
http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=22201

It is mainly the usually nonsense you expect from CCBC reports but this bit stood out:

"Another issue raised was regarding the state of the Venue Cymru building. It became clear that many issues relating to its initial construction are unresolved and that its ongoing maintenance budget is not sufficient to cover the indicative maintenance costs."

Sounds like another big chunk of taxpayers money is heading down the drain!

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »
It could always be turned into another swimming pool
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
 :o Manic st Preachers playing the Arena may 18,heard that on Ken Bruce show this morning'so there was some free publicity for the town,unfortunatley this should be mentioned once a week not once every six months.All we hear is how much the complex loses every year but its no surprise when the management can only find one gig to hold in the arena every 3 months,what a waste of a fecility and what a shame for the local youngsters that the Arena is under used. :weeping:

Offline Paddy

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:38 pm »
Couldn't agree more Wrex. Think of all the acts that play arenas in Liverpol/Manchester without realising there's a great venue just an hour down the road (roadworks permitting)!

Why aren't these acts being enticed to Llandudno?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 05:45:43 pm »
They don't want to come to Llandudno...is the main answer.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »
I disagree DaveR. Why would they not want to come if they're on a UK tour? I think it's much more likely that they don't know about Llandudno.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 05:58:03 pm »
Fester and I have spoken to VC management about this very point...and that is the answer we were given.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 06:19:21 pm »
I'm seriously confused, bordering on angry, on a couple of points DaveR!

Firstly. How do they know that big acts don't want to come to Llandudno? What research did they do when they were devising a business plan for The Venue?

Secondly. If they had a business plan before they started work on The Venue how was the spending of our money ever approved if they knew that the big acts wouldn't be interested in coming?

I can feel a "Wrex" coming on here!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »
It is indeed confusing....and I didn't 100% accept what the VC management gave as the reason.... but it is definitely what they said.

I do think that more could be done, and a big shake up is required....but it is a very good point.  WHY weren't these reasons known before spending so muh public money.

3 key reasons we were given for major acts not coming to Llandudno.

1, If there is a token Welsh date on the tour.... it will be in Cardiff.   (Ridiculous I know, but thats the mentality)
2, Major acts are signed up with major agents / promoters, who have a closed-shop type arrangement with ''favoured venues''
3, Major acts that DID play Llandudn, didn't like the experience.   Acoustics are deemed to be poor!

Reason 3 is a major design problem, like others which should have been known BEFORE spending vast sums.

Once again,  its a mis-management issue.
Fester...

Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »
We should also know about the many conferences and conventions that have given up coming to Llandudno.   Someone must know why!     ΒΆΒΆ##

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:02 pm »
It's true that I can think of a few bands that I have only played once and never returned. Super Furry Animals, Levellers, Status Quo, Stereophonics, Catatonia, Space, Morrissey and many more I've probably forgotten! So maybe it's true the acoustics are a bit crap - and the crowd too impassive. I remember the Manics slating the crowd last time they were down, so suprised that they came back!! I also notice in Llandudno (compared to arenas like Manchester and Liverpool where I often go) much less people watch the support bands. It's really odd.

For Ocean Colour Scene recently for example the room was dead when poor Mike Peters was on. I think Llandudno struggles with the live music culture, people seem more interested in wanting to get p****d up first.

There is a massive punk scene around at the moment - if VC management got wise and booked some of these bands, I guarantee they would seel out fast -bands like Less than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Dropkick Murphys, NOFX, Good Charlotte, Whitmore, Zebrahead etc have all sold out similiar sized venues in Liverpool and Manchester recently.