Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 207422 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:32 am »
While I would love to see VC utilised to its full potential, Ian's idea of an Old Style Music Hall show, IMHO, is not the answer.  Already these type of shows along with music from the musicals type shows are put on throughout the Summer season at the Town Hall, Trinity Church, United Reformed Church and male voice choirs at the Church between M & S.  These small venues charge £100+ per night which is valuable income for their coffers and in turn alot of money can be raised for local good causes.  Also as these places are more central they appeal to many of the older folk as it is a very short walk back to their hotels.  VC is quite a long walk down the promenade for many people especially if its raining back to their hotels, and a taxi fare is an expense that many on limited budgets are just not prepared to make.

brumbob

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 10:46:08 am »
Couldn't agree more with you Jack

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 11:05:22 am »
Ian's idea of an Old Style Music Hall show, IMHO, is not the answer.

Actually, it wasn't my idea as such, Jack;  I merely offered a 'what if' scenario to stimulate discussion about how the VC could and might be utilised. And you may well be right, except that what we're looking for is positive ideas, not simply negativism.  Unfortunately, Llandudno is full of people who are only too happy to say something won't work and can't be done - ask Wrex - but the real point I was making if you read my post carefully is that it's the other type of people - the go getters, movers, shakers and makers - that we're short of here. We need folk with new ideas, willing to have a go and try things out and we need those who are ready, able and willing to give of their time and energy to try and improve Llandudno.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 12:00:12 pm »
What lets us down (in the winter) is that Llandudno only has a population of 20k - to fill the arena locally youd need 10% of that!
So we obviously need out of towners coming in to watch shows. The problem with that is that there is NO decent public transport available. Especially for young people who are the type who most frequent stand up music shows, and its the young people who are more likely not to be able to drive (Not many kids bother taking their cars to uni) So if somebody from Bangor Uni for example wanted to watch Ocean Colour Scene and couldn't drive they'd have no chance of getting here.

A Bi-Weekly or monthly student orientated event would be great, especially done on a Friday night - with a populour headline band people would pay around £15 to watch. (Buckley does it better in a Nightclub! They've had Hayseed Dixie, Fun Lovin Criminals. Ash, Stranglers amongst others recently.)  and support from local bands (who'd do it for free for the publicity) and set up a coach scheme picking people up from Bangor, Pen, Conwy - and another route from Rhyl, Abergele and the Bay and I think you'd have it busy every time. Importantly these students would drink (could even keep it open after, as they do at the 02 academys) and they'd make a massive profit on the drinks.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:59 pm »
I wonder if Bangor Student Uni would have any thoughts on that? It's normally the union that organises this type of show, so if the right deal was proposed they may be interested.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Paddy

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 01:42:09 pm »
Wow! This thread is becoming fascinating. There are obviously lots of local people with lots of great ideas for VC. What intrigues me most, and I'm returning to a previous comment I made on this topic, is why the people who came up with the idea for this excellent venue didn't consider what they would do with it when it was built.

Reading between the lines of Ian's comment I think he's suggesting they should just put "something" on and that's really not a bad idea. I wonder how much it costs to keep the Venue closed. Surely doing something that loses less money is preferable to doing nothing?

As for b2b's concerns about transport links, here's a quote from one of the books I was supposed to read at Uni.

"If you build a better mousetrap, even if you live in the forrest people will beat a path to your door"

Let's get some quality acts here and build a reputation for this excellent, under utilised, facility.

ps. Can someone please put the quote on the "quiz" thread and see if anyone knows who said it?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 01:58:08 pm »
Reading between the lines of Ian's comment I think he's suggesting they should just put "something" on and that's really not a bad idea.

The idea is really B2R's;  from their posting:

VC should rent the place out free - the money they make on booze will cover the overheads.

Offline Jack

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 02:42:45 pm »

VC should rent the place out free - the money they make on booze will cover the overheads.
[/quote]

How much money would VC make from the sale of drinks?  SMG Europe is responsible for all catering and bars at VC.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 03:45:08 pm »
Surely SMG Europe cannot be happy with the amount of buisness the VC is producing for them.There must be a way we can find out how many days of the year the Arena is used,i know they do have the snooker in there,the youth theatre used it for their show, so i do know it is used for a variety of things.What would;nt suprise me is if the VC management tried not to have two sellout shows on the same night because they cannot cope with 4,000 people on one night. Z**

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »
 $walesJust been on the  Venue Cymru website and logged in LIVE GIGS IN ARENA and one came up,i do hope that someone grasps this lack of use and starts the VENUE CYMRU making money and delivering some decent entertainment for the youth who are left in this town. :rage:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »
 >>> I am still baffled by the lack of gigs in the empty Arena,why build such a venue then not have somebody in place to fill,once a month at least. I bet they have trouble finding firms to take on the franchise for the whole venue when it is so badly run $good$

Yorkie

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »
When you have senior members of the council who prefer to spend their time quaffing large amounts of alcoholic beverage, what do you expect? Z**   Z**   Z**

They have no one with the neccessary experience in the Theatrical World to go out and get the business.  They play a waiting game - waiting for the business to come to them, and we all know the results of that attitude!  ZILCH!    It would be funny if it were not so tragic.   
 $angry$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 12:07:00 am »
 ZXZ ZXZ Sounds like I am eminently qualified for a position on The Town Council   Z** Z**

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »
Venue Cymru in 2009/10 had a turnover of £4.75m and expenditure of £6.11m, leading to a loss of £1.36m.

Expenditure equals to spending of £117,615 a WEEK. How?  :o

All figures from:
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/430/200910_Statement_of_Accounts_postaudit.pdf

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:55 pm »
Expenditure equals to spending of £117,615 a WEEK. How?

Heating, Lighting, Cleaning, Maintenance, Rates, insurance, depreciation, Wages and tea bags, probably.