Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 207534 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »
The Management at VC have most likely never heard of those bands you quote B2R.

The Manager was quoted as saying that Quo's Francis Rossi hates playing The Arena (and will only play the theatre) because of crap acoustics.

Motorhead's Lemmy said to me directly that he thought that the sound was ''Not bad, but certainly not good'' 

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 11:23:15 pm »
The Management at VC have most likely never heard of those bands you quote B2R.

The Manager was quoted as saying that Quo's Francis Rossi hates playing The Arena (and will only play the theatre) because of crap acoustics.

Motorhead's Lemmy said to me directly that he thought that the sound was ''Not bad, but certainly not good''  

I saw the only Quo gig there and thought it sounded great, louder than usual actually (though I was near the front) The crowd however was pretty poor, the front was full of rody individuals and a few fights broke out (I remember the bass player jumping in to try and sort one out) and afterwords in the weekly news there was a load of complaints from the fans. Truth is I think the fans couldn't hack the standing up at their age - I always stand at the theatre and looking around it seems to be nearer the the end of the show every year that the crowd irritate them! That aint rock n roll to me  :twoface:

Thought the sound was pretty good last time I went for Ocean Colour Scene as well. But again I wasn't standing at the back I was front row and it should sound good up there.

If they want to fill that arena then forgotten 90s indie bands and dinosour rock is not what they need, they have to get something the kids will like. A populour punk, hip hop (N Dubz) for example or Nu Metal band would fill that place with youngsters (as long as tickets were under (£20)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:13:14 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 08:17:10 am »
I've edited your post, B2R, to change a couple of the references. We're a public forum, and with the exception of one of the jokes topics this entire site is open to everyone of all ages. While what you wrote wasn't that bad, we need to keep the forum as a whole free of references that have the potential to offend, or - more particularly - that might concern parents if they thought their younger kids were reading it.

Hope you understand  :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:25 am »
The problem with the Arena as a concert venue is that it wasn't designed as one, it was intended to be a conference room. Hence, the acoustics are not too good and the ceiling is too low for more sophisticated lighting rigs.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 02:24:21 pm »
  ;)Having seen The Manics,Stereoponics,Kooks,Paul Weller,Saw Doctors,and a few others i have never heard any one complain and i certainly enjoyed so there seems to be some cover up here because it was built for concerts and with the promise of filling hotels on a regular basis not just once every 3 months,something very wrong with the whole Venue if you ask me.Why you never hear Hoteliers complaining about the way CCBC run this town is unbelievable. :roll:

brumbob

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »
the ceiling is too low for more sophisticated lighting rigs.
Damn right, I saw half of the Australian Pink Floyd show at Venue Cymru a couple of years ago.
I made the mistake of booking front circle seats (which incidentally aren't at the front but are at the side)
The huge speakers that I imagine the band supplied blocked out half of the stage,
I never even saw the drummer or the second guitarist and when the singer ventured towards the back /left he also disappeared from view.
The sound though wasn't too bad but seeing the band a month later at a proper concert venue just showed how bad the failings are of this second class joke of a venue.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 03:38:33 pm »
 Brumbob we have crossed wires ,we are talking about the Arena not the Theatre,the arena can hold 2,500 standing ,so you can see it could bring in a lot of buisness into the town run properly. ZXZ

brumbob

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:14 pm »
Thanks wrex, didn't realize the band had booked the wrong place :laugh:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »
I like Pink Floyd - But standing up for 2.5 hours for their show is not my idea of fun, that's one you do have to sit down for!!
I wonder how much they make on Beer sales? Must be a fortune, I'm suprised that alone doesn't entice them to put a lot more shows on.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 07:57:13 pm »
What should be remembered is that VC management dont decide who puts the shows on, the Promoter does. When he plans a tour, he contacts venues around the country and negotiates a price to rent their building for the night.

Unless there is a Promoter willing to put on a show at Llandudno, then it simply won't happen. The cost of putting on a show with any sort of name band or performer will reach £30,000 very quickly - that's a big gamble to take in a town like Llandudno.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:23 pm »
  ??? So Dave you think the vc are asking to much to put the gigs on so the town stays quiet and the Arena unused,It must be better to break even ,have the town busy and the local people enjoying live gigs rather than leaving the Arena empty because of expensive rents. :'(

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 10:55:18 pm »
VC should rent the place out free - the money they make on booze will cover the overheads.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 01:56:50 am »
Llandudno can still pull a decent crowd though, if given a decent act, as these photos illustrate:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 07:43:20 am »
VC should rent the place out free - the money they make on booze will cover the overheads.

There's a precedent for that - although not locally.  But it's similar to the approach taken by some of the hotels that remain open throughout the winter; rather than close down, they stay open, but charge very little for rooms, hoping to make it back on bar and restaurant services.   

I don't think running VC to make money is an easy task by a country mile, but I suspect a more flexible approach to their hiring policy might be needed.  For instance, suppose it were hired out one night a week across the summer season for an Old Time Music Hall-type of production, which could be achieved through a great deal of local involvement. You couldn't charge visitors much more than £10 per head, and you couldn't' guarantee a weekly show would be packed out, so the VC management would have to come to an arrangement about their take.

There's a fair bit of local talent, and it's of the type that could interest our visitor profile, but organising it and running the show would be no easy task. Apart from organising the talent, auditioning, hiring of audition facilities, insurance, programme planning, photocopying, publicity, disc duplication, printing and so on, there would be the actual show itself, which would demand a weekly commitment from the performers - not an easy thing to get - in addition to the not insubstantial costs of insurance, performing rights' fees, performers' expenses, compliance fees, safety officer fees and ensuring that you covered the ticket office, stewards, in-town publicity, newspapers and 'internet, and all that's before the show opens for the first time.

In principle, you might get a fair number of folk willing to give their time on a voluntary basis; that's exactly how the Extravaganza began and ran for many years. But the Extravaganza - a concept which shares many similarities with the above proposal - also suffered from the same issues which afflict all voluntary societies: those involved are volunteers, so managing them is extremely difficult, as they don't feel they 'have' to do anything, and a curious tendency for most of the volunteers to evaporate during the event, leaving just one or two holding the baby.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 07:52:40 am »
  ??? So Dave you think the vc are asking to much to put the gigs on so the town stays quiet and the Arena unused,It must be better to break even ,have the town busy and the local people enjoying live gigs rather than leaving the Arena empty because of expensive rents. :'(
It's about £5,000 to hire the VC Arena for the night. Would a cheaper rent attract more promoters to stage concerts/shows there - maybe?