Author Topic: Llandudno Rotary - any members?  (Read 515 times)

mondie

Llandudno Rotary - any members?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »
I am considering joining Rotary and wondered if there are any members on the forum. I am keen to donate some of my time to helping the local community and to help to get to know people as a newcomer. Have had a good read through the local Rotary website and was surprised at how active the group is and to see they meet weekly. I would love to be able to commit fully but weekly meetings are going to be pretty difficult and I wondered what the typical time commitment is?

Cheers,
Simon

Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Rotary - any members?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
Rotary is a pretty good organisation for community help, but does insist - as you say - on weekly meetings.  The thinking behind that is the idea of friendship; meeting and eating together on a regular basis has been found to improve bonds between members and Rotary is all about altruistic teamwork . You'll also need a sponsor, but that can be arranged if you contact the secretary of the club. 
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

mondie

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
Thanks, Ian, they are pretty insistent on weekly attendance? I travel with my job and would miss at least one meeting a month. I intend going to a meeting in the new year so we will see what they have to say, I cant be unique in this respect. I certainly agree with their reasoning for weekly meetings.

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
As an alternative, you may wish to consider joining the Lions Club of Llandudno, who are also a well-respected organisation and carry out excellent work within our community.

At first glance, it looks as if they tend to only meet monthly.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:27:45 PM »
Thanks, Ian, they are pretty insistent on weekly attendance? I travel with my job and would miss at least one meeting a month. I intend going to a meeting in the new year so we will see what they have to say, I cant be unique in this respect. I certainly agree with their reasoning for weekly meetings.

If it was only one meeting a month you were missing, I suspect they would be happy to extend that latitude.
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

mondie

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
As an alternative, you may wish to consider joining the Lions Club of Llandudno, who are also a well-respected organisation and carry out excellent work within our community.

At first glance, it looks as if they tend to only meet monthly.

Thanks Bri, I will have a look at them too. Apex was quite an active volunteer organisation in Australia but I am not sure if that is an oz thing only.

Cheers

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »
mondie, I believe the Maelgwn Male Voice Choir are also looking for new members.