Members' Lounge > Science and Technology

Plastic is on the Menu

(1/4) > >>

Fester:
Plastic is on the menu was a phrase used by HRH Prince Charles last week.
It was in reference to the countless pieces of micro plastics which are turning our seas into a plastic broth.
I watched a documentary about the subject on Sky Atlantic over the weekend, and I was in shock.
I had no idea it had got so bad.
Everything from a little village on a tidal Loch in Scotland, which on a daily basis receives a beachful of plastic debris from around the world, to a CT scan of a mussel, showing the extent of micro plastics in the seafood we eat.
I couldn't get it out of my mind.
So, earlier today I set off to West Shore in Llandudno armed with a black sack, and I even forgot my gloves!
In only 30 minutes, this is what I picked up from a tiny area along the waterfront as the tide was ebbing, and the high tide watermark where the seaweed lies.
It's absolutely sickening and frightening in equal measure. 

Hugo:
Well done for doing that Fester, good on you and I wish that others would do the same.   Those white plastic bags that go into the sea look like jellyfish to the Turtles and as jellyfish are a staple diet for Turtles it has resulted in the deaths of many of these marine creatures.

A programme I saw, highlighted a bay in Sweden which because of its location with the Gulf Stream became a dumping ground for drifting plastic.     Around one square metre of plastic rubbish arrived in the bay every HOUR.   :o

Fester:
I'm so aware of it now, it could become an obsession.
No matter where the seafood I eat comes from, it's tissues are infused with micro plastic elements, which I then ingest.
Later, I was on Beaumaris Pier, and as I walked off, I looked down onto the little stony beach ... I was blown away by how many plastic bottles were bobbing about down there.

DaveR:
Well done, mate!  $good$

Nemesis:
Good for you Fester. I just wish people would be more careful where they deposit any of their unwanted things. We have now been informed that another property in the road has been left with needles and other debris outside. People walk along at night eating their takeaway and the remains and packaging tend to either land where they are dropped or be lobbed over the nearest hedge. :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version