Author Topic: Crosswords  (Read 7979 times)

Offline squigglev2

Crosswords
« on: September 29, 2017, 12:22:28 am »
The usual daily ones I try are the Guardian Quick, the Concise in the I and the cryptics in our local EDP.

I also usually (hoping it's Rufus) try the Guardian cryptic on a Monday as well as their Quiptic. And Everyman on Sunday.

I have managed to complete Araucaria (RIP) in the Guardian a couple of times but would usually consider that and plenty of others above my level. I sometimes toy with trying to improve but maybe I'm too lazy or maybe I'm happy as I am...

Anyone else?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Crosswords
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:51:21 am »
My better half is a crossword addict and does the lot. But I find them either a bit unchallenging or far too obtuse;  there doesn't seem to be a middle course.

Good new topic, this; perhaps we could discuss the tricky cryptic ones?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 08:52:54 am »
I know lots of cross words, better not repeat them here!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:36 am »
My better half is a crossword addict and does the lot. But I find them either a bit unchallenging or far too obtuse;  there doesn't seem to be a middle course.

Good new topic, this; perhaps we could discuss the tricky cryptic ones?
OK a little on difficulty from my perspective. Of some of the cryptics I try:

I can still  fail on or take a while over the odd clue but allowing for that, I rarely find the local EDP ones take more than 2 or 3 passes. They can turn an odd one up were I get totally stuck but I’d imagine the really serious cryptic solvers would find the far too boring.

Monday’s Guardian cryptic can be regarded by some as the gentle start to the week. Rufus, the usual setter is sometimes suggested as a good introduction to cryptic crosswords. He is very fair and tries to avoid the really obtuse/contrived. Again, some will find it too easy but he provides a nice challenge for my level and can come up it some nice clues that give a chuckle – wish I could think of an example.

I’m not sure were to go from there with the Guardian daily cryptics.  They can turn up ones where I could look at the puzzle for an hour without being able to make a start.  Alternatively, I might get some clues and see a few others just by the definition part of the clue.  I don’t mind too much if that happens a couple of times in a puzzle but it’s no fun if I’m putting a number of answers in where I can’t understand the cryptic part to know why the solution is correct.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:21:49 am »
I have to admit to an addiction to General Knowledge Crosswords. If I can't finish the large one in the Saturday Telegraph I feel really put out ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:28:39 am »
I have to admit to an addiction to General Knowledge Crosswords. If I can't finish the large one in the Saturday Telegraph I feel really put out ! :o
Hmm. I sometimes win or mostly win on one in The Puzzler magazine or some similar publication my mother can pick up but I have to admit my general knowledge is rarely good enough for those ones. The EDP (Eastern Daily Press, I think our region’s sort of equivalent of the Daily Post) does publish one on Saturdays and Mondays but it’s unusual for me to get more than say 10 answers, at least without having to resort to Google or other resources.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
I can usually manage at least 3/4 of the Sat Telegraph, but I could stare at a cryptic one for hours and not get anywhere. Have you tried that strange thing in the Daily Mail which is a mixture of picture clues ( Rebus?) and other types.? Some days I can sail through that and others I can't do more than a couple.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »
I like crosswords.
But I never do any crosswords.
I think I'll go and do a crossword.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »
Have you tried that strange thing in the Daily Mail which is a mixture of picture clues ( Rebus?) and other types.? Some days I can sail through that and others I can't do more than a couple.

I don't know that one. Is there an online example to look at?  Other things I sometimes do are arrow words (I think really a crossword with a different type of grid), word ladders where you have to get from one word to another, changing one letter to make a new word in so many steps and codewords where each letter has a number.  I've not had much joy with the codeword the i in a while...

I  do find the sometimes just do with several things.  Eg. I have had a run of about a week on the Guardian Quick that were more or less straight write ins. I might start thinking (actually experience has taught me otherwise) that I'm getting really good at these and then you hit a couple tat bring you back down to earth... Others like the ladder word, I tend to ind a route fairly quickly or not at all.  Codewords, I can wind up making a guess, often at a vowel - it might work but I can also cross the puzzle out as it's clear I've made a mess....

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 02:18:25 pm »
I think cryptics btw, provided the ones you try are within your level and we are not talking about the really tough stuff that only experts tackle, can actually be easier than straight ones. The reasons being that with most clues having a cryptic part and a definition, you have 2 chances and a means of confirming the answer is the right one.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
perhaps we could discuss the tricky cryptic ones?

As mentioned before, really tricky would be beyond me.  I meant to look up Mondays Rufus but accidentaly clicked on today's Tramp and unusually for me found 2 in the first few accrosses
I  got straight away.  They could be tricky for some and too obvious for others but for the fun of it:

Portion of tandoori cottage cheese (7)
Virgin male getting relief (4)

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »

I'm afraid I've bored everyone with this but having let it go a few hours, just for completion, here are the solutions.

1. "Portion of" indicates the answer may be hidden.  If we look in the text we find tandoori cottage.  Which gives a cheese.

2.  Abbreviation or male is m and relief is aid so the virgin is a maid.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:13 am »
Now I remember why I don't do crosswords
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 08:07:20 am »

I'm afraid I've bored everyone with this but having let it go a few hours, just for completion, here are the solutions.

Far from it; I suspect my better half will be reading this as I type. But in any case this topic - as new as it is - has already been read 360 times, so please don't assume anyone's bored by it. Those who aren't interested in crosswords simply won't read it, so carry on the good work :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 08:26:39 am »
OK a couple more taken from a recent Guardian cryptic. Again chosen as I found these easy to solve.

Bared tum? Could be for a tattoo! 8
Embellish trouble with the navy (5)

I'll also give this link which may be of interest to those considering trying cryptic crosswords. http://bestforpuzzles.com/cryptic-crossword-tutorial/index.html