Author Topic: llangwstennin quarry  (Read 5797 times)

Offline gaztrucker

llangwstennin quarry
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »
hi anyone have any memories of the quarry on pabo lane in the 70s i believe it was a limestone quarry. the upper workings were on the top level and stone was passed down a hole into the crushing plant on the lower level. in my schooldays in the 70s my mates dad was a rock blaster who was in partnership with dennis rennie and they operated the quarry from a large caravan next to the weighbridge going further back i remember being in the old brickworks scrapyard in junction with my dad in the days when you had to climb over the old motors to get the part you wanted and there was  a very battered bedford tk rock dumper lorry there signwritten "Quarden ltd llangwstennin limestone"  looking forward to seeing to  your memories to this one thanks gaz

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: llangwstennin quarry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:54:36 pm »
I can remember a couple of old lorries in the 50s and 60s - possibly ex army WW2 - with "Llangwstennin Lime" on the cabs.  I guess they must have had a kiln somewhere to produce the lime which was then spread on fields. The actual quarry can't be seen unless you walk up the hill and look down into it.

There's a film on You Tube of people exploring the tunnels which seemed to be more extensive than I had thought.  Remains of small railway trucks as well as the conveyor belt which succeeded them.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:03 am »
No there's longer one with three people doing the exploring. I you put Llangwstennin in the You Tube search it should come up.  The group are called "Dark Arts Paranormal" and the tunnel is referred to as a "spider infested cave".

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:35:14 am »
I did see that other one when I was looking at You Tube but as it was over 30 minutes long I didn't post it on here.   I'll have a look at that video in full over the weekend.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
That's the one Hugo. I speeded through it at various points as they are a bit slow and go back on themselves a couple of times.  Interesting though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »
ME,  was it you that visited this place some time ago and later posted a photo for the Quiz on here?

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 01:40:23 pm »
hi anyone have any memories of the quarry on pabo lane in the 70s i believe it was a limestone quarry. the upper workings were on the top level and stone was passed down a hole into the crushing plant on the lower level. in my schooldays in the 70s my mates dad was a rock blaster who was in partnership with dennis rennie and they operated the quarry from a large caravan next to the weighbridge going further back i remember being in the old brickworks scrapyard in junction with my dad in the days when you had to climb over the old motors to get the part you wanted and there was  a very battered bedford tk rock dumper lorry there signwritten "Quarden ltd llangwstennin limestone"  looking forward to seeing to  your memories to this one thanks gaz
Pabo Lane or Cystenin Road?  The one I’m thinking of had one entrance near the fork for Bryn Pydew and Pen Y Bont roads. I remember Dennis Rennie. I’ve some vague memory of cars getting stopped there sometimes when they were blasting but I’m not placing whether that was my first of second time round in Pydew or both.  I could be wrong on this but I’ve a feeling the place stopped sometime between say 66-73 and was reopened by Dennis before 78???

Mostly though, when I think of “the quarry”, it’s really just the cut away bit that’s used as a turning round place – and given that both the school taxi for the younger kids to Glanwydden school and the M25 bus went that way between Pydew and Glanwydden, I’ve turned round there a number of times...

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 03:12:42 pm »
The quarry loading bay was in Cystenin Road.  Pabo Lane becomes Garth Road which in turn becomes Cystennin Road at its junction with Station Road (Mochdre). 

Interesting recollection about the bus (M25).  Crosville had also operated a Wednesdays and Saturdays service from/to Colwyn Bay station.  It went via Mochdre, St Cwstennin's Church and Penybont.  On all but one service (5 Weds; 6 Sats) you had to change at Penybont to the Llandudno bus.  The service ceased with the outbreak of war and never reinstated although it was mentioned in the timetables until the early 1950s as "Discontinued until further notice".

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 08:30:49 am »
I remember exploring the place just after it closed down (late 80s?). All of the big quarry equipment was left in situ and the various buildings on site were still packed full of spare parts & paperwork - it was just like they had gone home for the day and never come back. Fascinating place for a look round.

I see from this page that the quarry is actually called 'Pen Y Bont Quarry':
https://www.companysearchesmadesimple.com/company/uk/01550016/llangwstenin-quarries-limited/#summary

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:37:19 am »
Bit more info. According to the link below, Quarden Ltd went bust in 1979:
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/47811/page/4548/data.pdf

Llangwstenin Quarries Ltd took over in 1981.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:51 pm »
Bit more info. According to the link below, Quarden Ltd went bust in 1979:
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/47811/page/4548/data.pdf

Llangwstenin Quarries Ltd took over in 1981.

Thanks Dave.  It certainly seems my own memory/feeling had got a bit mangled on this...

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »
Does anyone remember another quarry in Llangwstennin It was between the old Rectory and Garth Farm it had a railway track ,incline under the road and down to the main railway line it was there until they started on the A55 .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 08:22:55 am »
Does anyone remember another quarry in Llangwstennin It was between the old Rectory and Garth Farm it had a railway track ,incline under the road and down to the main railway line it was there until they started on the A55 .
Is that the one in the centre of this aerial photo?