Author Topic: llangwstennin quarry  (Read 5796 times)

Offline llionllan

Re: llangwstennin quarry
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 11:32:04 am »
I can remember a couple of old lorries in the 50s and 60s - possibly ex army WW2 - with "Llangwstennin Lime" on the cabs.  I guess they must have had a kiln somewhere to produce the lime which was then spread on fields. The actual quarry can't be seen unless you walk up the hill and look down into it.

There's a film on You Tube of people exploring the tunnels which seemed to be more extensive than I had thought.  Remains of small railway trucks as well as the conveyor belt which succeeded them.

Have seen a map on line lately that shows 2 or 3 lime kilns were just below the road in the field by the fork down to Pen y Bont...but cant find it now, grr. Went looking for the kilns a couple of weeks ago, vegetation has died down, but there are no traces  :'( :'(
Interesting site at the quarry itself, I have been trying to piece it all together since moving to Mochdre..when I have time off from child duties, was the first time I took my 4yr old daughter underground..and she loved it  ;D ;D was there the other night with her, she is 6 now, taking pics of her reading a book on one of the old tipper chassis for a school competition.
Cant find pics of the buildings, conveyor etc anywhere...can someone help ? please  8) 8)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 04:48:19 pm »
Have a look under Times Past on the forum and under the heading Llangwstennin Quarries you might find some info

Offline llionllan

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 10:07:55 pm »

I did, nothing there  :( :(    thanks though  :)