Author Topic: Llangystennin Hall  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Llangystennin Hall
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:52 pm »
Am I missing something here but won't the original birth certificate show the name of the mother and possibly the father of the male child?   Who exactly are we looking for?
I would imagine that the adopted parents would rename the child but they couldn't legally register the birth in the name of the adopted  parents or could they?

As regards the 1911 Census, I'm only guessing but that looks like a Census of the employees working at the Hall.   Have you tried scrolling either side of that entry to see if there is 1 or more entries for other people living there

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »
I agree with Hugo.  There were several limestone quarries within walking distance of the Hall so the occupations of the men are not unusual for the locality.  Early OS maps show properties opposite the Hall as well as the coach houses etc which are still extant.  Possibly the quarry at Llangwstennin formed part of the estate and essentially the people listed were part of the wider "family" living in tied accommodation.  As Hugo says, a look either side of the entry might be informative.

At some stage the hall was a small hotel until the 1950s.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:36:41 am »
Have you tried scrolling either side of that entry to see if there is 1 or more entries for other people living there
I tried that, nothing came up sadly.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 01:23:22 pm »
That's strange Dave but thanks for looking it up.

At the moment it's like looking for a needle in a haystack,  Vermillion's posting said that they had the original Birth Certificate so there should be some info on it to give us a lead in the search.
Info like the name of the grandfather, his date of birth and the birth mother's name it all helps.

If the Grandfather was born in Llangystennin Hall then the birth would be registered in the office of the Registrar of Births, marriages and deaths at Conwy District.

Those same records would now be held in the Town Hall at Llandudno and they are very helpful at that office.

Offline Helig

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 10:54:33 am »
There has been interest in Llangwstenin Hall elsewhere:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=228227.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738582.0

It seems you have to do a place search to find all the census information.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »
It's a shame that they didn't post their searches on the forum Helig, especially the one for Penrhynside as they would probably have the answer now.

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 01:49:45 pm »
Hello again,

Full details as I know them.

Details from birth certificate.

Name: Charles Boyd (adoptive mother's maiden name) Faulkner (adoptive father's surname).

Date of birth June 6, 1906
Date of issue of birth certificate June 15, 1906
Date of baptism at adopted parent's home church in Manchester July 15, 1906

Name of father is blank
Name of mother is Margaret Pritchard - Usual address Llangwstenin Hall, Llangwstennin.
Occupation of mother - a Domestic Servant

It would seem that the adoptive parents passed the child off as their own as he was baptised in Manchester as if he were their own and there is no mention of the name Pritchard.

I've found Margaret (I think) and I don't hold out much hope of finding his father but I thought the mother's residence at the time of hs birth a good place to start.  That and the DNA test.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 02:11:36 pm »
That's a good start Vermilion and one to work on.

You've got the mother's name
A date and place of birth for her son

I presume that the registration of the birth was by the biological mother and therefore that Registration District would be Conwy,    Hopefully there is enough info there already for someone to come up with some answers for you

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 02:15:04 pm »
It will all be supposition but with lots of people now doing the Ancestry DNA test, who knows, one day we may find out.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »
There is a Charles Boyd F Pritchard in quarter ended Sept 1906 in Conway per freebmd.

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 02:31:55 pm »
Yes, that's the birth certificate I have.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 03:17:34 pm »
I suppose that a search for a Margaret Pritchard in the 1901 Census would be a good place to start.    It's more than likely that she was born in Caernarfonshire or Denbighshire

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 03:20:24 pm »
I found Margaret.  She was living in Llandudno Junction in 1901.

I can trace her forward to her death in the 1970s.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 03:27:31 pm »
I've had a look at Roots UK and there is a Margaret Pritchard  born Conway   C 1884 and in the 1901 Census she was a domestic servant aged 17.
Is she the one that you have found?

As regards your original posting about wanting to know who was the owner of Llangystennin Hall in 1905/6  the Rates book may be able to tell you and it may be in the Conwy Archives in Llandudno

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »
The one I think is mine was born 20 Jan 1886 in Caernarvon and was living at 3 Vale View Terrace Llandudno Junction in 1901.  Father Jeremiah.

I should add that on Ancestry they are mis-transcribed as Putchard and Margaret's age is given as 5 but when you view the actual scan, she is clearly 15 in 1901.

Took me ages to find her because of that.