Author Topic: local haulage firms 1960s/70s  (Read 5678 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: local haulage firms 1960s/70s
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »
Didn't Dixie live in a bungalow in Tyn Y Coed Road  by the quarry?     I remember him as being a very nice guy

He originally lived at number 5 Ty'n Y Coed (he owned a few of the cottages I understand) and later on he moved to the detached house opposite the quarry.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 07:21:25 pm »
Didn't Dixie live in a bungalow in Tyn Y Coed Road  by the quarry?     I remember him as being a very nice guy

He originally lived at number 5 Ty'n Y Coed (he owned a few of the cottages I understand) and later on he moved to the detached house opposite the quarry.

Sorry, not number 5 but number 6!
Valar Morghulis

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 11:52:18 pm »
anyone recall back in the day how many delivery wagons used to go down your street ! coal wagon, bread van, butchers van, corona pop wagon. if you had a delivery it would brs parcels or british railways door to door service from the goods yard happy days now all you get is the white van from amazon,fedex or yodel !!!!!! anyway if you remember any of the above let me know

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 01:53:44 pm »
Pydew:  As kids, we would sometimes see and stop a Corona wagon going through but I don’t think it was a regular route. The was a grocers, or more likely a green grocers van that had a round.  I seem to remember it as quite a big high sided van.  I also have vague memories of a van selling fresh fish.  Also a coal wagon but unlike the others, there was still one going round when we left  Pydew second time round in the 90s.

Btw. These days (in Norfolk now), we get our main weekly shopping delivered by Tesco. 

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »
I grew up on the Orme and the main ones I remember were Will Pyllau & his wife who delivered the milk, Elwyn Hughes with his Fruit & Veg van, various Corona men and a coal wagon for the older properties. Happy days!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 03:22:40 pm »
Ernie Owen used to come around the houses every week in a van to collect the pig swill and at Christmas time we'd all get a large portion of pig meat from him and the others involved.
My next door neighbour Sam Owen had a horse and cart for his scrap metal business and used to stable the horse in his back garden.  My Dad used to borrow the horse from time to time when our grass was getting too long.
I remember adverts coming on at the Savoy Cinema saying " Sam Owen now changed over from horse drawn vehicle to motor vehicle"  and when it came on our gang from Cwm Place would cheer like mad.
He was a lovely guy and had his business in Back Madoc Street

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 06:59:29 pm »
Bithells mentioned. After the lorries came Bithells blue coaches of Llandudno. All colours in coaches at that time. Reds, Creams, Buthelezi blue. as far as I know Kemlyn Bithell who is the son still lives on the hillside above Llanrwst

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 10:50:34 pm »
A friend and former neighbour of mine has been reading this thread with interest and has come up with these names for me to post on here.    One name stood out and that was Tommy Smith and I remember that some forum member was seeking info about him and my friend was able to provide a lot of useful for that person     $good$

1. Local haulage firms,
  tommy smith= bryniau road
  hughie parry= alexandria road
  barry edwards= llysfaen
  mike edwards= llysaen (brother of barry)
  roger hughes= llysfaen
  pat hughes= old golf pavilion llanwrst road upper colwyn bay
  j r davies= glan conway
  ? jackson= eglwysbach
  dennis jones= eglwysbach