Author Topic: John Rathbone  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
John Rathbone
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:46 pm »
Sorry to hear that John Rathbone has died after a long illness.  John was originally apprenticed to Newman's plumbers then worked for the UDC Water Department becoming the District Inspector for Llandudno and the Conwy Valley during Conway Valley Water Board and Welsh Water days.  For many years he was a retained fire fighter at Llandudno retiring Sub-Officer.  Funeral is a Llanrhos Church at 11am on the 8th August. A nice man who will be much missed by his family and all who knew him.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: John Rathbone
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:59:14 pm »
I saw this obituary in today's Daily Post, Cambrian, and my memory went back over 50 years when I was in the St John Ambulance and often helped out during the Summer in their caravan near the Cenotaph with a Mr and Mrs Rathbone.

I was left wondering this morning if those stalwarts of our local St John Ambulance, before the days of the legendary Frank Ash, may have been John's parents.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:30:55 pm »
Yes, good memory Brian.  John's father, Bernard Rathbone, was an officer in St John's - I remember him manning their caravan by the pier entrance in the summer season. I don't recall Mrs Rathbone unfortunately. I have a vague feeling Bernard also worked for the UDC water department.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
Thank you, Cambrian.

RIP John.