Author Topic: Why has my Car insurance more than doubled since moving to Llandudno?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
I have been really surprised to find the insurance premiums for both of our cars have increased by more than 100% since moving to Llandudno. We moved from a town 20 miles west of Aberdeen and didn't really expect such a hike. Aberdeen has had an ongoing battle with organised crime targeting Audis and given one of our cars is an Audi, its even more perplexing. Is car crime an issue in the area as I haven't read anything to that effect.

Any ideas forumers or suggestions on companies that are Llandudno friendly?

Cheers  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
My OH is a complete petrolhead and his comment was that historically Llandudno should be considerably less for your car insurance. Every year he uses comparison site for ours. One is a Classic, so that is different, but the other is very reasonable...mind you we are quite old !! Our Granddaughter has just passed her test and has been searching for good value with her insurance, and has found it quite an expensive occupation. She lives in West Yorkshire and it appears that that is a disadvantage !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
I have used Mike Jones, at Brady and Jones Colwyn Bay for over 30years, he is a broker, and well worth talking to, even if it's only to explain the hike.
My own insurance is very reasonable, and I agree with Nem. this area should be cheaper.

Offline Hugo

I use Liverpool Victoria for my car insurance and found them very reasonable.     The trouble with a number of insurance companies is that when it comes to your renewal notice you can find that they have increased your premiums by quite a bit.
If you phone them up and complain about the increase and say that you have had a much better quote online, I've found that they will often meet the other quote.
That's so annoying        :rage:

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
Thanks for the replies and the recommendation Steve, I will give them a call.

It is renewal time so I advised the change of address and the premium more than doubled. The comparison sites are all returning premiums double to what we had in Scotland too. I tried an address in Deganwy and it was only slightly cheaper so it is what it is. Oh well, our council tax dropped from £3900 to just £2000 so that was a win :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
My Mum and my daughter, and my nephew are basically getting ripped off for car insurance, because they live in West Yorkshire.
Age has something to do with it of course.
However, when I tell them how little mine is in Llandudno, it really rankles with them.
We all know what kind of crooks and scumbags are causing these outrageous premium hikes these days.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DVT

My car is insured through the AA.  Last year, a few months before renewal, I received a letter saying they would match any online quote.  When it came to renewal the AA price was more than double the low quotes I found online, so contacted them.

They did not seem to believe the Meerkats quote I'd found (from a well known company) so I had to then write a letter detailing everything that the low-quote company offered and show it against my current policy - the only difference was in European cover which I did not want anyway.  The AA did eventually agree to match the quote, so I paid just over £200 - full NCD, £100 excess, two-year-old 1.6 TDi, myself, wife and daughter named drivers.  I'm in LL31 post code.

Be interesting to see what they come up with for renewal this coming September.  I am waiting delivery on a new car and the online quotes are much cheaper than my current insurance!

Always worth a phone call to the insurer as they (almost) always will reduce the premium without changing the cover.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
My modern cars, a big Mercedes and a Focus estate are with the AA, around £230 each, but every year the high renewal comes in, so on the phone and it always comes down again! Seems these companies rely on customers who don't bother phoning them up? I have two classic Mercedes cars insured for around £200 for the pair, I have never found car insurance to be dear here, I'm in Rhos on Sea.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

It always used to be that your premium came down if you were loyal to the company ...nowadays it seems that if you loyally, and without question, pay up the requested renewal premium then it keeps going up !!!

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
True, loyalty means nothing. It's just a big game now that preys on peoples laziness or their oversight at renewal time.

I got these rates on one of the comparo sites today for our 2011 A8:

Banchory (Scotland)      £283
Llandudno                     £554
Beaumaris (for interest) £366

This is for a low-risk driver -  47yo, 10 yrs NCB, no convictions and <5000miles/yr.  :-X

I will be calling Brady & Jones in the morning for a multi-car policy but I have my doubts that they will pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Cheers Simon

Offline DVT

Re: Why has my Car insurance more than doubled since moving to Llandudno?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 10:14:16 pm »
That Llandudno quote seems excessive.  I live in Llandudno Jucntion LL31 and I have a new Honda Civic Sport on order - 1500 turbo, 182 bhp.  The online quote I have at the moment £175 and that is for me, my wife (both over 60) and my daughter (30's) who lives in Liverpool but may need to use my car when she's over here.  I am also insulin-dependent diabetic so on a 3-year licence, full NCD, have 3 points that expired last month!  Annual mileage 10k.

Be interesting to see what my current insurer charges when I do get the new car!  Last year paid £230 on my Honda Civic Tourer.

SAnother good broker is Gott & Wynne in Madoc Street, they arrange various classic car insurances as well.

Offline Bri Roberts

Re: Why has my Car insurance more than doubled since moving to Llandudno?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:03:53 pm »
We have two cars when one should be enough these days.

Nevertheless, I don't recall ever paying more than £200 for each car.

We live in Llandudno.

One is a 12 year old Ford Focus 1600 and the other is a 20 year old BMW 318i.