Author Topic: Driving  (Read 7678 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Driving
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:28:05 am »
Prompted by posts which suggest some on the forum feel it's entirely acceptable for bad driving to go unreported (and where some feel that potentially lethal driving isn't that important) I thought we could do with a topic dedicated entirely to driving.

I passed my ordinary driving test some years ago, in common with many on here, and it didn't take me long to realise that the driving test simply gets you the right to drive unaccompanied; it certainly doesn't make you a good driver.

In those day the Police themselves were running week-long driving courses, so a pal I and signed up and we got to know the instructor well enough for him to offer to train us, for three hours at a time, in advanced driving techniques each Saturday. At the end of a fraught three months we took and passed the IAM test.

I've never regretted that, since being trained in that way really makes you aware as a driver of the dreadful standard of driving that occurs. But there are clearly others who think making yourself a decent driver doesn't matter. So what do you think?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:20:23 am »
Our eldest daughter is close to gaining her licence and I would like to get her on an advanced driving course. Does anyone know of any locally they can recommend as good value?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:55 am »
The Police system is called Defensive driving. It aims to enhance driving skills by teaching drivers to read the road, anticipate possible issues and read car positioning, as you might read body language.  Sadly, the nearest IAM motorist's group seems to be in Bangor: northwalesgroup@hotmail.com
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:47 am »
Our eldest daughter is close to gaining her licence and I would like to get her on an advanced driving course. Does anyone know of any locally they can recommend as good value?

The IAM groups offer free supervised driving sessions, so it might be worth dropping them an email.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:54:27 am »
Prompted by posts which suggest some on the forum feel it's entirely acceptable for bad driving to go unreported (and where some feel that potentially lethal driving isn't that important) I thought we could do with a topic dedicated entirely to driving.

I passed my ordinary driving test some years ago, in common with many on here, and it didn't take me long to realise that the driving test simply gets you the right to drive unaccompanied; it certainly doesn't make you a good driver.

In those day the Police themselves were running week-long driving courses, so a pal I and signed up and we got to know the instructor well enough for him to offer to train us, for three hours at a time, in advanced driving techniques each Saturday. At the end of a fraught three months we took and passed the IAM test.

I've never regretted that, since being trained in that way really makes you aware as a driver of the dreadful standard of driving that occurs. But there are clearly others who think making yourself a decent driver doesn't matter. So what do you think?

I think you need to learn to take a bit of criticism, that's what I think.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:56:56 am »

Well, it's an open forum, so perhaps you might try answering the questions I posed instead of making snide comments.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:19:04 am »

Well, it's an open forum, so perhaps you might try answering the questions I posed instead of making snide comments.

I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who is never wrong, especially over such a petty thing. All I will say is that that roundabout, as well as the ones at Tesco and NWWN, are all notorious for drivers being in the wrong lane. So I always use a bit of defensive driving and therefore I wouldn't have been as close to the Audi as you were. I drove professionally for 20 years, you learn a lot about reading the road and other driver's skills or lack of in that amount of time.
Valar Morghulis

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 10:25:03 am »
My father was ex police and a member of the IAM. He taught me to drive but I failed the test ,much to his annoyance. I took a couple of driving lessons from a retired test examiner who taught me how to be a more relaxed driver.... and then I passed.
I can only say that when my father was a passenger I always felt I was "on test", things like:-
A) driving with the hands on the steering wheel at 10 to 2.
B) viewing  the  rear view mirror every minute .
It was only when he became elderly and being in  the IAM no longer entitled him an insurance discount that he ceased to be a member.
Even he conceded latterly that he was too rigid in his style and I remember being a passenger pointing out his hands were at quarter to three!
I'm sure though that some would benefit from a refresher course and possibly the IAM way of driving is different nowadays.I think some people would fear this..... in case they thought their licence would be revoked!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:51:48 am »

I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who is never wrong, especially over such a petty thing.

You just can't help yourself, can you? There's no argument unless you create one. The fastest way to do that is to post snide and unpleasant comments, instead of reasoned and objective observations. And this wasn't about being in the wrong lane;  this was about how the driver dealt with being in the wrong lane. And as for being petty, suppose he'd side swiped an elderly lady? Anything of that sort ruins your day and can cause a lot of upset, to say nothing of the potential danger it might have caused.   Still, if you don't want to debate objectively, that's your prerogative.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »
Rhuddlan, my Dad also partly taught me to drive, way back in the late '60s. He took me in a Ford Corsair which was, to a learner, massive. A friend of his took me out to practice in a Morris Minor ( remember to double de-clutch !) and I had lessons from an instructor who had 3 different cars including an NSU Prinz which was a strange article ! When out with Dad he kept a walking stick by his side and if my foot dared to hover near the clutch for too long he gave it a sharp prod. At the time we had a Triumph Herald in which I learned to negotiate driving in and out of the bends on the old Llanrwst Road.
I could quite fancy an IAM course, but I feel that now at my age I could have left it a little too late !

With regard to the comments on here my biggest criticism is for people who for instance down Penrhyn Hill try to get up the exhaust pipe when I am in the correct lane and doing the correct speed ! $angry$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Neil

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
Chill out guys, we don't have any proper roundabouts in the UK, I encountered this one on my way through Seville!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »
 :o

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:36 pm »
Nemesis, That is interesting. My dad didn't need to pass the normal driving test as both he was driving before it was introduced apparently.However he was taught to drive lorries during the war and the instructor had a swagger stick and he did something similar
to your dad...prodding when the learner did something wrong!
I  passed the test in 1970 in a Hillman Minx.the hand brake was on the right hand side and not obvious to the instructor. I remember him saying I shouldn't toe/heel on a hill start but he seemed reassured when I explained I was actually using the handbrake. in fact I showed it him.If I hadn't I guess I would have failed again!
I remember the exhilaration of driving the car from Rhyl to Bangor and back on my own...my dad was not pleased when I came home...he had checked the fuel tank and the  mileometer !
              I think my parents were happier when I was driving my first car ( a Ford Popular 1172cc side valve)..it wouldn't take the skin off a rice pudding,three speed gearbox and windscreen wipers that went slow when you drove uphill and went crazy when decelerating. My motorcycling days were over and my mother breathed a sigh of relief ,bless her. Things changed when I started on sports cars, but that's another story!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 06:18:45 pm »
I started on M/cs; had a Tiger Cub then eventually a Bonneville.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 06:35:53 pm »
Nearly choked on my coffee Rhuddlan, my Dad had an Austin who's wipers did that! He took my Mother in it down the Strines in Derbyshire and it wouldn't go back up the hill with two of them in it. As she didn't drive she had to get out and walk. She wasn't impressed !!! He never took a test either. It also had trafficators which stuck and had to be thumped from inside the car to make them work. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.