Author Topic: Hotpoint factory at Craigside Llandudno  (Read 4791 times)

Offline All Our Yesterdays

Hotpoint factory at Craigside Llandudno
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:14:56 pm »
Can anyone supply information or photos of the Hotpoint factory at Craigside, Llandudno?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Hotpoint factory at Craigside Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:24:36 pm »
Can anyone supply information or photos of the Hotpoint factory at Craigside, Llandudno?
There are quite a few links to Hotpoint on the Forum,.... put Hotpoint into search and you can check them out. ££$

Offline BrianP

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:49:35 am »
My father worked there, and took me inside once. The factory was making vacuum cleaners for the American  market. We had one at home, it was a lovely shade of brown, and was rubbish.
Sorry no pictures.
Brian

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:23:32 am »
I sort of worked there!  I was in Design Change Control at the Junction factory when Hotpoint started building vacuum cleaners.  My job was to log in all the new parts for the Design Assessment and Pre-Production runs, ensuring we had everything for each sub-assembly when the Design Engineers (from Peterborough) came to oversee the build of the first offs.  My duties meant I spent a lot of time at the Craigside factory during the early builds.  Unfortunately I don't have any photographs.

The first builds were the upright cleaners, then later we developed the cylindrical ones.  I was once tasked to drive to a factory in the Midlands to collect the first-off large plastic body mouldings.  I came back with a van full and went straight to Craigside, arriving late afternoon.  My boss was a chap named George Benbow, Production and Materials Control Manager - without wishing to be rude he could be quite a bully!

I walked into Craigisde, a box of mouldings was opened and his immediate reaction was "they're rubbish, take them back"!  He didn't actually say "rubbish" but I cannot put here what he did say!  The following day it was take a van down to the Midlands to collect some more, the factory having been "instructed" to work overnight to mould. The second batch were not much better but were used for the assessment run.

As Brian has said, the Hotpoint vacuum cleaners were not the best!

Brian - I remember your father well - quite a character!  We both also worked at the Bodelwyddan factory as well - I was then in Design Department and often had to see him about trialing new parts down the line!  Often outspoken but I always found him helpful if approached carefully!

Offline mull

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:16:31 pm »
were in Cragside was the factory ?
Was it the old tennis court buildings opposite the hotel ?
Must be getting old  can not remember it.

Offline DVT

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »
It was where the small estate named "Hillside" is now, just down the road and opposite from the Brewer's Fayre/Premier Inn ... almost on the cliff edge!  it was a building that previously was an ice stadium which had various variety shows ... I'm sure someone on here will remember them!  Hotpoint was there in the 1970's, not for many years but I'm not sure when it actually closed down.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:51:19 am »
Very early postcard, showing the building at top left:

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 06:21:39 pm »
hi new to the forum so cut me bit of slack while i get used to it re: Hotpoint Craigside it was a building on the seaward side of the road which was previously  called "The new stadium" i am led to believe that at one time it was used as a roller skating rink hope this helps

Offline DVT

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 10:34:00 pm »
Ice skating ... I don't think it was roller skating ... shows were held there.

Hotpoint built the vacuum cleaners in the Craigside plant ... early 1970's ... first the upright cleaner, then the cylinder ... was not particularly successful!  Everyone still called them "Hoovers"!!!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 07:14:21 am »
I have an old Hotpoint vacuum cleaner in my collection, not sure where it was made though?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 08:49:52 am »
That looks a lot older than the 1970's version, which had the paper bag inside a two-part plastic moulded upright container, it also says "Made in England" and the logo appears to be a very old one!  Can you find a date on it anywhere?

I worked in Design Change Control at that time (1970-76) and was involved in logging in all the new parts for the first production, and then later all the parts for the cylinder vacuum cleaner pre-production runs.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 05:17:42 pm »
I would think that it is pre war,  I found it at Mona car boot sale a clue of years ago.  It still works!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 09:48:26 pm »
I remember hotpoint going in there I worked for walkers ( fridgadaire) and hotpoint moved in the back  to make the hoovers .

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 02:04:16 pm »
A couple of bits of curiosity here, DVT.

I did help with DCC in Kinmel in my short time there and, yes, have organised line trials where you get design, PE, production reps out to try something (including getting things not to drawing from goods inwards to the lines) out.  I've also loaded new machines onto the computer but in my time, these were functions of Production Control,  although Design then also had their own system for parts/drawings. Ours was the one that did the supplier schedules, went on to do the picking lists, etc.  but I guess a lot changes over the years.

Would a character you refer to be DP, superintendent for the manufacturing side of the wall in my time?

I sort of vaguely knew the Junction site although of course, living in Pydew, I passed the place many times.  I'm failing to place the Craigside site.

Offline DVT

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:44:05 pm »
Assuming you're referring to the character I mentioned a few posts back that told me to take the parts back to the Midlands - no, it wasn't DP although he did have a way with people (!).  The chap I'm referring to was my boss, Production & Material Control Manager George Benbow, another with a unique man-management style!

He did warm to me, though.  I have Type 1 Diabetes, had it since 1968 and already had it when I started with Hotpoint (1970).  I went for an annual check up and the hospital wanted me in hospital for a few days to stabilise the sugar levels.  I went back to the factory and went to see Mr Benbow to tell him, he was slightly concerned and told me to get myself away to be sorted.  I then went back to the office to finish off a a job I was halfway through.

After a few minutes he came down to the office and seeing me there shouted, in his usual high volume voice, across the room "what are you still doing here, I told you to go!".  Everyone thought I'd been sacked!!!

His wife also developed diabetes so he did show serious concerns for my at times.

The Craigide factory was the building shown in the photo above, an ice skating stadium and now replaced by a housing estate.

Seems I should know you - what's your real name - PM me if you wish.