Author Topic: Mary ann hughes c1876  (Read 5766 times)

Offline karenjadejoy

Re: Mary ann hughes c1876
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 11:52:27 am »
Thanks Hugo,
Lovely Photo's  It looks Idyllic.
 The info i have so far, is that a Rev Thomas Davies. (poss methodist), lived there from 1792-1800.
no info on him really.

He and his Wife Ann Jones. had five children.  One being Margaret Davies b 1787.
 She Married William Ellis b 1776, in St Tudnos 1808. they either, lived immediately following the marriage at Penmynedd Uchaf (the white farm).  or definitely held prayer meetings whilst living there in 1812.

Margaret Died in 1828, in what looks like childbirth, of son Richard Ellis b1828.  Her husband William Ellis continued to live there until his demise in 1845. ( He is on the Census 1841,  at this Address and has two of his children living with him.  Thomas, b 1820, and Elizabeth b 1825.)  I am told that the Farm had been in the Davies and Ellis family for several Generations. 

In the 1841 Census it would seem there are three entries of Penmynedds. 
1.entry 126 Pen y mynedd which has William Ellis and children,  so i take that entry to be Penmynedd Uchaf
2. entry 129   appears to be Penmynedd whom has a Richard Davies and Ann Davies living there.
3. entry 132 appears to be written  Penmynedd isaf  (the pink farm) that has a Thomas and Elizabeth Owen and family living there. (unknown if these are related to my Owens Branch). we know a William Owens lived there previously from Hugos info on my other thread , from Chris Drapers book. (reply 71 Margaret Anne Pearl Hughes).
we then have
4  entry 39  living at pen yr Ogof, my Edward Owen1816 and Margaret Ellis his wife. with daughter Ann, and an older Griffith Owen.
5 entry 44 Ty Coch  the Edward and Elizabeth Owens who became a butcher.  (unrelated at this point)
6 entry 43  Ty coch, Thomas Owen a smith with Mary Owen and family  (unrelated at this point).

It was i think still a relatively small community at that time. so likely they would all know each other.

Margaret Davies and William Ellis,
 had another daughter named Margaret Ellis b1815.  who married Edward Owens b1816  she would likely have also lived at Penmynedd Uchaf.  until her marriage.
 she and Edward Owens later lived at Pyllau Farm.  and became known as Nain Pyllau.   amongst their children were my Ann Owens b1839 married Robert Hughes.b1835 (lived Baron Hill) and also John Owens (afalon, the alderman )b 1858 .....

So  If any one knows anything re the Rev. Thomas Davies,  or his religious leanings.  (i know Calvanist Methodists were coming to the fore at the time he appears to be a Rev.   and Living at Penmynedd uchaf.  (he lived until 1831, tho perhaps not at the farm).

Anyway hope you are all well and safe in these very strange times. 
Karen.