Author Topic: Pierce and Jane Jones of Tan Y Wal  (Read 12182 times)

Offline PhilMick

Re: Pierce and Jane Jones of Tan Y Wal
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:07 pm »
Hugo = birth cerificate above.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 04:38:57 pm »
Thanks Philmick,      $good$

She's not the one I was thinking about, the name I heard was much more recent

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 08:16:28 pm »
I do have access to Ancestry.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 09:29:05 am »
Use Mary Grace's birth data to search the family trees on Ancestry - there are quite a few trees that you can access, including my wife's. This might be of help to you.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:30 pm »
I will. Thanks!
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 01:25:30 pm »
Oh, hey Hugo.  I happened upon their marriage certificate with Kirk spelled Kirth. Then Annie Maria was spelled Annie Mariah Jones.  I went through 800 certificates one at a time and happened to find it by chance. This is in response to an earlier response of yours of nothing being found for these guys, most likely due to Kirk misspelling. Married 12 12 1900. Thanks sgain.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 03:57:35 pm »
Mull, hope that you are both keeping well up there on the island.    Have you ever heard of Pierce Jones, a butcher who had an abattoir just behind Tan Y Wal?
The only reason I am asking is because I had a drink or two last night and Dafydd from Penrhynside was there and he mentioned that.
Would the butcher have been a relative of yours or not?
Dafydd was asking me to take him to the memorial on the Little Orme so I'll do that asap and ask him for more info then

Offline mull

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 06:28:53 pm »
Hi Hugo,
Yes all fine up here just wish we had your sunshine.
Been in North Yorkshire for the past 2 weeks visiting family.

Tan Y Wal
First I have heard of an abattoir there. But...... what I do remember is the house at the other end of the terrace was home to the Pierce family and Mr Pierce had the butchers shop in the village. The shop was on the triangle next door to the Coop, near to were we parked up last summer.

Wish I could join you for the walk to the memorial, perhaps next visit.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 06:39:22 pm »
Thanks Mull, it would appear that Dafydd has got the names mixed up and mistaken Pierce Jones for Mr Pierce.   He'd had a few beers when I spoke to him so that may account for his mistake.
If the tide and times are suitable then we'll have that walk to the memorial on your next trip over

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »
Hi Mul,    I had a drink with Dafydd last night and after I explained again to him, he realised that he was mistaken with what he had told me in the past.
One interesting thing he said was that his family once lived at Siop Y Roe, that's the small cottage at the top of the hill where you see the sign "Llandudno welcomes you"     It was a smallholding that operated as a shop and between the wars it also offered refreshments to passers by.  Dafydd said that he had found a few old pop bottles at the back of the cottage and they had the makers name on them.  He thought that the name was something Hill from Llandudno but couldn't be sure

Offline mull

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi Hugo........ Seem to remember someone who lived in that cottage used to visit Uncle Hugh in his cobblers workshop.
Always seemed to be people visiting and chatting whilst he worked, nice fire going in the stove and old Uncle Hugh aiming his spit into the bucket. Another world 60 plus years ago. 
Just had a look on the West Shore Webcam it looks very wet there.  Fantastic here sunshine all day..... about time.
Mull.

Offline Jack

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »
Hi Mul,    I had a drink with Dafydd last night and after I explained again to him, he realised that he was mistaken with what he had told me in the past.
One interesting thing he said was that his family once lived at Siop Y Roe, that's the small cottage at the top of the hill where you see the sign "Llandudno welcomes you"     It was a smallholding that operated as a shop and between the wars it also offered refreshments to passers by.  Dafydd said that he had found a few old pop bottles at the back of the cottage and they had the makers name on them.  He thought that the name was something Hill from Llandudno but couldn't be sure

Hugo, that will probably be William Hill of the Perseverance Aerated Water Works, Llandudno  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 10:19:35 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, Dafydd did say at first that it was William Hill but then said that he wasn't sure of the Christian name but he had had a few drinks by then

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 10:24:07 pm »
Hi Mull,  perhaps the Jones family from Siop Y Roe were related in some way to the Pierce Jones family,  but I don't think that I'll ever get the info from Dafydd unless he goes on the wagon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 09:44:11 am »
OOPS,  I've just noted that it was Jack who advised me of the William Hill bottle co.

Thanks Jack