Author Topic: Pierce and Jane Jones of Tan Y Wal  (Read 12199 times)

Offline ckirkrph

Pierce and Jane Jones of Tan Y Wal
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:17:34 pm »
Hey there. I was fortunate enough to pick up last year on a conversation pertaining to Grace Ellen Jones and her family. My Great Great Grandmother was her sister Annie Maria(h) Jones . She died young in 1909 but not before having atleast 2 boys, one which carried down to me, with an Alfred Kirk, but they were given up for adoption after her death (would love more info on this) and sent to Halifax in 1915. So, I recently connected with a cousin who was able to send me a copy of a picture of Annie Maria's father whom we had found to be Pierce Jones, married to an Jane Williams. All is fine as I have other pics of this gentlemen rowing in boats at LLandudno, but on the back it is written William Pierce Jones! Not sure, even the birth certificate I found only had him listed as Pierce, I thought there was a brother named William but not much could be found. Does anybody know if my Pierce Jones of Tan Y Wal was actually William Pierce, or was this a brother? Anyways, I am trying to gather any and all info on this side of the family. Ultimately I want to find out where Annie maria is buried. Please, if anybody cares to comment I would appreciate it. Chad Kirk
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pierce and Jane Jones of Tan Y Wal
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:04:24 pm »
Annie Marie Kirk's death was registered in Solihull  ( Birmingham area )  in the quarter July to Sept 1909 but I have no idea where she was buried.  I think that I had a search previously in the local Archives but found no trace of her in any of the Burial Indexes.
Perhaps someone else on the forum may be able to find this information for you.
I found Pierce's grave in Glanwydden but the inscription on the headstone just said Pierce Jones.    Sorry that I can't help you any more at the moment

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »
I was at the Conwy Archives today and had a look at the Baptism records for the Parishes of Eglwysrhos and Llangystennin for the mid 1800's.
I was hoping to see  Pierce Jones' Baptism record and the names on it.     Unfortunately there was no entry for Pierce in either record and I noted that there were no other entries for anyone living at Tan Y Wal.
In those days nearly everyone was Baptised and as we know Pierce and his parents were members of the Baptist Chapel at Glanwydden so I would guess that the Baptisms were recorded in the Chapel register and I've no idea where those records are but that they are not in the Conwy Archives

Offline mull

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:57 pm »
Hi folks.
Just been on the Nestoria website and found :-

Tan-y-wal, Penrhynside, to be sold by auction at a guide price of £110,000 includes all the land with planning permission for a 3 bed semi . Auction is on 12th July 2017, Crown Plaza Hotel, Pier Head, Liverpool.
I would think it would go for more than that with the planning permission.
Bit out of my range  I think.
Nows your chance Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:16:28 pm »
Mull,  how can you get planning for a 3 bed semi?     Unless of course it's going to be attached to Tan Y Wal.       

Out of my range too,  I'm an OAP  don't forget.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:22:45 pm »
You could always consider an equity release, Hugo.  ¢¢##

Offline mull

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:20:57 pm »
Its on all the land below the cottage.
No mention of how Tan -y-wal wil be dealt with seeing as it is Graded 2 Listed although there are a lot of alterations been made already which I am suprised anyone got the permission for.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 01:36:54 am »
I would love to get my hands on that property, but would have limited times to visit and no way to manage maintenance issues, but I can almost see my great great grandmother walking through the gate via the pics you all made available. Thanks for that. Hope all are well, and thanks for all the digging you have done Hugo!! I am trying to piece together Annie Maria's life details and death, it has been a challenge, especially finding out where Alfred Kirk ended up after her death, and what lead to her 2 sons being sent to Halifax after being sent to I believe Middlemore House orphanage. The mystery has always been why were the boys sent away, and did Alfred start over. Family stories passed down say Alfred's father disliked the boys, or Alfred, well, somebody, and when Annie Maria Jones passed so young, Alfred either sentthe boys away, or perhaps was so poor they were taken away, perhaps he, remarried and ..... So, again, I apologize for disappearingfor so long. Thanks for all your help, I would really like to connect with any of the Jones family who are still residing in your area who might like to trade info and pics with me. Thanks again fellas!! I also would like Mull to send me his info and parents grandparentsetc so I can officially add him to my/our tree. Also, one of those Kirk boys sent from orphanage to Halifax, one of their sons is still alive, he and I chat as often as possible, and I am hoping to solve as many of these Kirk/Jones mysteries as possible so your efforts are invaluableto me! Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 09:36:26 am »
Chad,   I had a walk through the village of Penrhynside in early December and if you look under the heading "walking" on the forum, you'll see photos of the village that I've posted.
I know that you would love to be able to do that and think about your ancestors who lived in this close community.

Since I visited Tan Y Wal with Mull and his wife Lorna not much has been done to the house but I did notice that the narrow path leading up to the house had been cleared of vegitation.    Mull will remember it like this and all that was missing was the name Tan Y Wal which was on the iron gate.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:24:41 pm »
Chad,  just a few things, you are probably aware of them but I'll post them anyway:-

Annie Maria Jones got married to Alfred Kirk in the bride's home Registration District of Conway.  This was registered in the Conwy District in the quarter Oct- Dec 1900.     Now the details of the wedding may be in a newspaper in the Conwy Archives but if you look under Wales Newspapers on line I think that they cover up to 1919 so if there is an entry for the wedding you may be able to find it but look for the Wales papers  Llandudno Advertiser or the North Wales Weekly News

Now Annie died in 1909 and the death was registered in the Solihull District of Birmingham in the quarter July- Sept 1909.    Now if you look under "British Newspapers online"  the English newspapers on line go up to about 1950 so it gives you a lot of things to look for.
I've done some personal research for myself and my relatives were in Solihull in the 1940's so I found what I was looking for in the Birmingham Mail but there are other Birmingham papers to look through too.

Good luck, it is time consuming but may be worth it     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 03:00:19 pm »
Chad,   I read an article in the Daily Mirror today  (it's a British daily newspaper)  and thought that you might be interested to see it.  It just shows you how great the improvements are in modern day science and how they can link the DNA gene to people.

I tried it myself when an offer came up with my Heritage.     It's an easy process to do yourself and after I had followed the instructions I sent the package of to the laboratory in Houston Texas.
After about 4 weeks they send you the findings by e-mail and it basically tells you where your ancestors came from and also links you to others that have a similar DNA.     You can complete a family tree and you would be surprised what turns up.

I have used My Heritage but there are others that do a similar thing, might be something useful for you

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 06:20:11 pm »
I very much appreciate the info and advice. Growing up a Kirk I had originally always fixated on Alfred, but I gotta tell ya, with the beauty of Llandudno, and the history of the Jones family in the region, and the untimely death of Annie Maria I sorta really switched my efforts to her, and her side that we knew nothing about, and then finding Annie Maria's grand son still alive I feel impelled to help him know more of his grandma. None of this would have ever gotten this far without your help and this forum to unite us. I hope to meet you sone day soon. Thanks for those leads. I hope to find those Jones relatives you mentioned, interesting, but I found a census where Annie Maria's one son was boarding with his father, Alfred, but his oldest son  (my  great grandfather), was living with the Jones family, so it does seem like they probably tried to keep them around, but ultimately they were shipped to Halifax. So many questions, perhaps the Jones relations still there know what happened. Hmm. lol! Thanks again!
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 06:28:02 pm »
1911 census
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 06:29:06 pm »
1911 census
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 05:30:25 pm »
Lots of mysteries Chad but they may come to light in due course.    I had a look online and also in the Archives at the local papers for 1900 but could see no mention of the marriage between Alfred and Annie.
That's a shame really as those old reports contained a lot of info that could have helped you with your search.

Have you found out where Annie was buried?