Author Topic: Secondary Schools - John Bright or Eirias?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
Secondary Schools - John Bright or Eirias?
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:28:41 pm »
Would anyone have any first-hand comments or experience of either of these schools? Our son will be starting his GCSE's in September and as someone new to the area it is quite difficult to make an objective decision. We will, of course, take him to both and hopefully get to meet with snr teachers as part of the decision but hearing about first-hand experiences would be invaluable. I have heard high praise of both and also that both have, at one time or another suffered from 'behavioural problems'. I was also told that John Bright was taking PFI funding to take in disruptive kids but who knows how true, when and to what scale this may have had an effect on the school.

Thanks for any advice :)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Secondary Schools - John Bright or Eirias?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:38:43 am »
Eirias, in the past, was always the market leader in results terms.  The most recent inspection reports are here:

https://www.estyn.gov.wales/provider/6625402

https://www.estyn.gov.wales/provider/6624022

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:32:13 pm »
Afternoon Ian,

That was the feedback we have been passed too - that Eirias had the edge but I get the impression that JB has now caught up and is perhaps better thought of by some. The Estyn reports are both of equal merit so no real direction on choice there which is good as both are highly rated. Unfortunately, we are trying to extrapolate off the opinions of people, sometimes formed a while back, on the merits of each.

Cheers Simon

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:05:46 pm »
Yes; hard to divine which is better purely on the basis of the reports, I agree. However, Eirias always had a reputation for helping the brighter children better. Conversely, they didn't support those who struggled as well as they might.

Reading the reports closely, Eirias has the edge in Improving quality: Good (YJB is Adequate), Partnership working - Excellent and in both English and Maths Eirias has the edge. Sadly, Estyn changes the ways in which it presents data, making detailed comparisons difficult, but their GCSE and A Level examination performance has always been one of the best around.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.