Author Topic: Llandudno Civic Society  (Read 4797 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Civic Society
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 09:39:21 am »
A 19th Century pier that was almost destroyed by fire has been voted Pier of the Year.
Hastings beat off Worthing in the competition judged by the National Piers Society (NPS), with Llandudno pier taking third place.ref BBC
I saw the following quote in that Daily Post article:

"Nick Challinos, Chairman of Llandudno Civic Society, said: “It’s wonderful news that Llandudno has made it into the top three piers in the UK once again, it’s good for the town.

“If something suitable could be developed on the Pier Pavilion site then perhaps it could eventually win the competition.

“I think the present plans for the site are not quite sympathetic enough or in keeping with the Victorian and Edwardian seafront, although I’m not at all against developing the site."

I thought to myself, Llandudno Civic Society, that sounds interesting - an organisation which could possibly exert some real influence on the future direction of developments in the town. So I googled them...and found nothing! No website, no email address, no way of contacting them at all! How do you join the Civic Society? How much does it cost?

I'm sure it's not intended...but at the moment, it comes across as a bit of a club where only certain people are invited to join? Any sort of organisation without a website these days is well behind the curve.

Perhaps someone from the Civic Society would like to comment?
Obviously just a coincidence  ;) but a couple of days after I made the above post, a Facebook Group for the Llandudno Civic Society magically appeared.
https://www.facebook.com/llandudnocivicsociety/

Perhaps if I comment a few more times about them, a website might appear as well?  $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Civic Society
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:42:57 am »
It's a start, but it would be good to know who they are, and there ambitions. I have bookmarked there page for future reference.