Author Topic: Llandudno Civic Society  (Read 4792 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Llandudno Civic Society
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:28:01 am »
A 19th Century pier that was almost destroyed by fire has been voted Pier of the Year.
Hastings beat off Worthing in the competition judged by the National Piers Society (NPS), with Llandudno pier taking third place.ref BBC
I saw the following quote in that Daily Post article:

"Nick Challinos, Chairman of Llandudno Civic Society, said: “It’s wonderful news that Llandudno has made it into the top three piers in the UK once again, it’s good for the town.

“If something suitable could be developed on the Pier Pavilion site then perhaps it could eventually win the competition.

“I think the present plans for the site are not quite sympathetic enough or in keeping with the Victorian and Edwardian seafront, although I’m not at all against developing the site."

I thought to myself, Llandudno Civic Society, that sounds interesting - an organisation which could possibly exert some real influence on the future direction of developments in the town. So I googled them...and found nothing! No website, no email address, no way of contacting them at all! How do you join the Civic Society? How much does it cost?

I'm sure it's not intended...but at the moment, it comes across as a bit of a club where only certain people are invited to join? Any sort of organisation without a website these days is well behind the curve.

Perhaps someone from the Civic Society would like to comment?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Civic Society
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:02 pm »
It honestly amazes me that no-one seems to know anything about this organisation?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 02:08:54 pm »
Because there obviously isn't anything to know.

Perhaps you should form the Llandudno Municipal Committee, and use it as a vehicle to say important sounding things to the press?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:11:10 pm »
You mean that no one has????? WWW
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »
I'm thinking about reforming the Llandudno Improvement Commissioners. They haven't had a meeting since 1895, probably on a par with the Llandudno Civic Society...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:21:30 am by DaveR »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 02:26:27 pm »
The same could be said for Llandudno Town Council, if you insert the word 'meaningful'.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DVT

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:54:43 pm »
Perhaps someone at the Dunoon Hotel can help ... check out Day 4 itinary from this website:

https://www.greatrail.com/us/tours/railways-castles-wales-dunoon-hotel/

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 10:06:45 pm »
Quotes from the article below.....

The Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust has previously renovated the former St George’s School in the resort, and was instrumental in the preservation of the former Tabernacl Chapel.
And trust member John Lawson-Reay says it is now investigating ways of acquiring the premises, which until last week housed the Broadway Boulevard nightspot.
Last year Llandudno Civic Society, of which he is chairman, was able to hold an open day there giving people an opportunity to  look around the building.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/broadway-boulevard-could-saved-community-4693027

The Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=The+Llandudno+Seaside+Buildings+Preservation+Trust&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enES433ES433&oq=The+Llandudno+Seaside+Buildings+Preservation+Trust&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i64l2.3244j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:18 am »
There's a great deal I could say on the frequency with which tiny charities were started in Llandudno and then lapsed, most of which were solely the work of two individuals or, more accurately, one individual and a willing participant. One or two made some small contribution to the town but the net result has been very little in fact and the vindictive nature and short-sightedness of one individual led to the loss of many good people and a great deal of manipulation, with little result other than the satiation of a monstrous ego.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:23 am »
I have to admit, when reading the links, my cynical side perked up.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:09:12 am »
This monstrous ego must be catching ! I can think of quite a few individuals who could be put into that category. The amount of money which appears to vanish into thin air is horrifying.  ???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »
That charity doesn't exist anymore:
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/RemovedCharityMain.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1066187&SubsidiaryNumber=0

It says in the link removed, transfer of funds, I wonder where or what the funds were transferred to??

Offline SteveH

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 06:44:51 pm »
Another mention from Today's DP story....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/large-part-llandudno-landmark-hotel-12890227

"Nicholas Challinor, Llandudno Civic Society chairman, said: “This is a classic example of a beautiful building being left until it’s so decrepit we end up with this tragic situation. "

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 07:23:29 pm »
That's the Nick C from GOES, I think.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.