Author Topic: Incompetence: CCBC (and other Public Bodies and Statutory Undertakers...)  (Read 115934 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Incompetence: CCBC, NAfW, UK Government, Local council and others
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:27 am »
These councils all say they do not have money, so where does the £23 million come from?   &shake&

This type of situation is caused by inexperienced people dealing with business, in this case PFI which appears cheap to start with, but could and does end up much more expensive.

Offline BMD

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 02:30:49 pm »
Unbelievable!

Cost of Conwy council building soars £23 MILLION

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cost-conwy-council-building-soars-13094522

Staggering. Total cost now given as £58 million (up from £35 million). Everything about this stinks. "Although not a formal PFI agreement, the details put forward by the council are hazy and there are certainly striking similarities between this financial agreement and other PFI schemes."

PFI-type arrangements are generally frowned upon as being an extremely bad deal for the public. Often likened to putting a mortgage on a credit card.

I'm so glad that CCBC is being careful with our money. It makes complete sense - we'll get a hyper-expensive council building but no pier. And as the council says, "The new offices also form part of a wider regeneration programme in Colwyn Bay, and we have already seen benefits in the local and wider economy." Utter bullshit.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 02:56:24 pm »
"benefits in the local and wider economy"  Perhaps we should ask for details?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 03:18:40 pm »
The theory is that the new office will see all the staff plonked in the heart of Colwyn Bay who will then nip out for lunch/do shopping after work in the Bay and help improve the town.

Well, that's one of the theories.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:01 am »
Extra election cash for council chief executives slammed
Fat cats are paid thousands of pounds for reading out the general election results, as well as helping to organise polls in some places.

Across North Wales, county council chief executives - most of whom are on six-figure salaries - will be looking forward to bumper pay days for reading out the general election results, as well as helping to organise the poll in one or two constituencies.
The payments, which can run to thousands of pounds, are in addition to the wages they receive for doing their day job.
At the 2012 local elections in Flintshire, the returning officer was entitled to a one-off payment of £14,364.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/extra-election-cash-council-chief-13123906

Offline Dave

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:00 am »
Extra election cash for council chief executives slammed
Fat cats are paid thousands of pounds for reading out the general election results, as well as helping to organise polls in some places.

Across North Wales, county council chief executives - most of whom are on six-figure salaries - will be looking forward to bumper pay days for reading out the general election results, as well as helping to organise the poll in one or two constituencies.
The payments, which can run to thousands of pounds, are in addition to the wages they receive for doing their day job.
At the 2012 local elections in Flintshire, the returning officer was entitled to a one-off payment of £14,364.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/extra-election-cash-council-chief-13123906

Unbelievable!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 05:58:35 pm »
.... and you wonder why I despise the B##%%#S !!!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:07 am »
The theory is that the new office will see all the staff plonked in the heart of Colwyn Bay who will then nip out for lunch/do shopping after work in the Bay and help improve the town.

Well, that's one of the theories.
It's just displacement, surely? Money spent by staff in Colwyn Bay will be money that is currently spent in Conwy  town etc?

Councils should be forced to rent the cheapest office space they can find, instead of wasting money that could be used for public services.  &shake&

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 11:09:15 am »
Plaid Cymru/Tory coalition in Conwy will have 'catastrophic effect' on Plaid says leaked email
Council leader Gareth Jones has unveiled a cabinet which has five Conservatives, four Plaid Cymru councillors and one Independent... (Conwy Council currently has 16 Conservatives, 14 members of the Conwy First Independent Group, 10 Plaid Cymru councillors, seven Independents, eight Labour councillors and four Liberal Democrats.)

The email says: "Gareth Jones will be leading the Conwy Council cabinet, but in order to verify this PC (Plaid Cymru) will have to work in collaboration with the Tories on the Cabinet, this is partly because the Labour Party have refused to work with the Tories on the Cabinet on the principle they will not work with the Tories under any circumstances.

"With only one Independent member on the Cabinet, this means that the Tories will have a majority with PC leading the Cabinet.
"As a matter of principle I would rather see a cross party representation on the Cabinet and have no Tory Cabinet members than having a Plaid Cymru Leader and a majority of Tory members.

"I'm afraid this will have a catastrophic effect on Plaid Cymru here in Aberconwy, the demographics of the county is already against us and the Labour Party have gained a surge of new tactical voters as well as strong support from the younger voters.
"Labour and the press will have a field day and will most probably ruin Plaid Cymru's name in Aberconwy because of this."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/plaid-cymrutory-coalition-conwy-catastrophic-13184745

Offline SteveH

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 08:57:49 pm »
Plaid Cymru reject Tory coalition proposal at Conwy council
The local authority has been thrown into turmoil as Plaid says members will not form cabinet with Conservatives.

"Cllr Jones has told the BBC he was disappointed by the decision and wants a detailed and thorough explanation of why exactly this decision was taken.

Plaid cabinet member Trystan Lewis, who was cabinet member of primary education and the council’s Welsh language champion, has said on Facebook that he has resigned from the executive.

He said he was sad to lose this opportunity to make a difference locally but remained loyal to Plaid Cymru."
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/plaid-cymru-reject-tory-coalition-13196978

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 08:41:24 am »
I've long thought parties are a disaster at local level.  Now they're not doing a whole lot better at national level, but I just think it would be a nice change if politicians of whatever persuasion could just work together for the good of the community. It would involve compromise of course, but I wonder how important parties are at local level, anyway. I suspect most vote for the councillor they know and who's proved themselves.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 10:11:16 am »
There certainly were more independent candidates years ago, but I agree with you about people voting for the Councillor who best looks after their community.
Politics doesn't come into it when I cast my vote at the local elections

Offline SteveH

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 02:22:06 pm »
Council finance chief didn't know about £3.8m council tax black hole.

Cllr Peredur Jenkins was not aware of how much the council was owed in unpaid council tax, or that the authority had the worst rate for non-collection in north Wales
"However Plaid Cymru’s Cllr Jenkins, who has been Gwynedd cabinet’s finance man for four years, said he felt unable to comment on his own administration’s poor performance.
He said: “I have got no information at the moment. I would have to have a look at the figures.”
When told they came direct from the Welsh Government and asked if he was aware of the amount of arrears in the county Cllr Jenkins said: “No I wasn’t”.

Article with comments below...
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gwynedd-council-tax-arrears-collection-13200364

I have posted a couple of the comments in case you cannot see them.........

"He said: “I have got no information at the moment. I would have to have a look at the figures.”
I have seen so many people sacked in the private sector, nice to see the public sector are tolerant of idiots, incompetence and a total lack of morals. "

" It's time for new young enthusiastic members of Conwy Council who have the will and desire to work for improvement for change. However, parties I've voted for in the past, Plaid are not inclusive and this is part of the problem, working together and inclusivity. Diolch"

"I have been a Plaid supporter alongside my family and friends for most of my life. No longer! They are divisive, they are not representing our Welsh voice and Leanne Woods should go. A change of competent fresh faces needed on Conwy County Borough Council after decades of chaos and the same old faces year after year. Inclusion, fairness and not exclusion of new faces and change. It's shameful to be asleep on such a crucial job!"

"A total change is needed and it's time for change. The concern is elected members refusing to work with others which is an absolute disgrace for progress. New faces, new approach and new way of working after decades of failures by CCBC. Tegwch i bawb - fairness for all. Too much time spent backbiting rather than doing the work in this authority and exclusion and divisive elected members need to be ousted out of Councils. The old faces have been around for decades and made a shocking mess and it is time for a regeneration of new faces and a fresh approach."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 04:51:00 pm »
Clowns to the left of us.... and even more Clowns to the right..... 

I was going to say it's unbelievable, but it really isn't is it?  Not these days.

Time I stopped paying my council tax, it seems there are no consequences.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -