Author Topic: Incompetence: CCBC (and other Public Bodies and Statutory Undertakers...)  (Read 116113 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Incompetence: CCBC (and other Public Bodies and Statutory Undertakers...)
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2020, 04:12:45 pm »
Statistics can be altered in any way you want them to be and the information in the link that I previously attached shows that the details supplied by the DVLA  are either deliberately or inadvertently incorrect

They admit that 2%  of the total number of cars on the road are untaxed which in a debt management system is ridiculous as the figure would be more like 10% to 20%.      At the moment there are 38.2 million vehicles on the road so if you were to believe the DVLA figures then say 2% of the lost revenue at a conservative figure of £100.00 per vehicle adds up to a lost revenue of £76.4 million alone

According to Google there are 1.9 million vehicles in the UK that have SORN registrations, that is to say that these vehicles are parked off the road and not in use so they therefore avoid paying road tax.  So roughly 5% of vehicles are allegedly off the road  and at a  loss of revenue of well over £100 million.  The DVLA  needs a good overhaul as it is leaking money on an epic scale

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2020, 03:15:29 pm »
Almost a quarter of new council workers who needed a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check started work without having one in place,  a Welsh Government audit has found.

The Wales Audit Office study of Conwy council ’s safeguarding of vulnerable people arrangements for 2018-2019 was discussed at the authority’s audit and governance scrutiny committee.

In total, 76.6% of new starters who needed the DBS check had one in place when they started work – according to the latest figures covered by the report. The target is 100%.

Auditors found Conwy council had “addressed the majority of the recommendations” from a 2015 study about safeguarding but found it “could improve” training arrangements.   cont... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/quarter-council-staff-start-work-17811685

Online SteveH

Still not resolved, who's to blame ?

Bill for council HGV depot that can't house heavy vehicles close to £1m
Conwy council took out a 35 years lease on the units, before realising the floors weren't strong enough to hold the vehicles

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bill-council-hgv-depot-cant-17892667

Online SteveH

Welsh Government auditors are reviewing project management, contracting and procurement at a council that entered into a 35-year lease for premises it can’t use.

Conwy council has already paid approaching £1m for costs associated with units 6, 7, 8 and part of unit 5 at Mochdre Commerce Park on Conwy Road, which it leased in 2016.

The idea was to centralise its fleet of heavy goods vehicles – but found out after signing on the dotted line the floors couldn’t take their weight.   cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18305605.council-entered-35-year-lease-mochdre-premises-cant-use/

Online SteveH

Conwy taxpayers have had to fork out more than £200,000 for scaffolding around a building they don't even own.

Scaffolding has surrounded Ty Glan Conwy in Llanrwst since June 2012.
It had to be put up after the building was deemed to be unsafe. Debris had been falling into the grounds of the nearby Eagles Hotel.

But plans to demolish it were put on hold when protected wildlife was found to be living inside.

Conwy Council erected the scaffolding when an Emergency Prohibition Notice was served after the building, which is in private ownership, was deemed unsafe.
The building is in the conservation area and overlooks the River Conwy, Pont Fawr and Tu Hwnt i’r Bont.

The cost of the scaffolding to date is £199,128.60 with an annual cost of around £30k.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/roosting-bats-help-land-council-18031799

Online SteveH

Some second-home owners are using a "loophole" to claim grants which are intended to help small businesses survive coronavirus, it is claimed.

Firms employing fewer than nine people can apply for £10,000 grants as part of a £1.1bn Welsh Government package.
Five councils are calling on Welsh ministers to change advice so second-home owners who pay business rates rather than council tax cannot claim.

The Welsh Government said councils can ask for more evidence from claimants.
Properties that are used as full-time holiday accommodation are often registered as businesses.

But a rising number of second-home owners have moved from paying council tax - which includes a second-home premium - to paying business rates.

cont.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52316003

Online SteveH

I wonder if CCBC are charging the government for the use of this facility, and how much ?

A temporary mortuary will not be mothballed as health chiefs try to make sure they are prepared for any potential second wave of the coronavirus.

Conwy council offered industrial units on Mochdre Commerce Park Back in April to use as a temporary mortuary to ease the pressure on hospitals ahead of any potential surge in deaths due to Covid-19.

The mortuary, which services all local authorities in North Wales, had been left on standby as the crisis eased.

There was speculation it might be stood down but it will stay for time being after it emerged recently the region’s three Rainbow Hospitals will be retained in case there’s a second wave of infections.

When asked how long the mortuary would stay in commission a spokeswoman for Conwy county council said: “We are continuing to monitor the situation across the region and, as such, no specific timescale can be confirmed at present.

“Whilst we’re all hoping for the best, we must plan for the worst case scenario, which includes the potential for a second wave, and keeping this facility is part of those arrangements.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/temporary-mortuary-remain-standby-case-18519279

Offline Dave

Somebody is no doubt sighing with relief that a use for this otherwise hugely expensive "white elephant" has been found.

Online SteveH

« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2020, 10:07:56 am »
The town hall rich list 2020: Wales' best-paid council officials
Newport City Council's new chief executive will be paid £124,001 a year.

Here are the salaries of every chief executive of Wales' 22 unitary authorities:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/chief-executive-salary-welsh-councils-18845588

Online SteveH

« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2020, 03:47:49 pm »
A member of staff at Gwynedd Council has tested positive for Covid-19 following a night out with colleagues.

As a result, an entire sector of the council will have to self-isolate for 14 days.
The incident which saw them share a minibus was described by Dilwyn Williams, chief executive of Gwynedd Council, as "completely unacceptable" in a letter to staff.

Mr Williams said in the letter that "the individuals involved will be dealt with accordingly" as the council has had to fork out additional costs to cover their work during the self isolation period.

Mr Williams told staff: "We have to be clear that behaviour of this kind violates social distancing rules and is completely unaccpetable. The individuals involved will be dealt with accordingly."                 Ref DP

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:40 pm »
hi as a forum member i cannot let this pass i work for ccbc as a recycling / refuse  driver. myself and my colleagues have worked throughout the ongoing covid pandemic with considerable risk to ourselves to continue to provide the service to the standard expected by the council taxpayers of conwy. as a front line service we will always receive criticism from various members of the community sometimes justified, as a local authority we always act on complaints and our fleet of collection vehicles are equipped with 360 deg cctv we can look at what has allegedly occurred. please remember everyone who reads this, ccbc is your local authority and whatever you think about the decisions made by the council just remember the crews on the ground these lads & girls some of whom are zero  hours contract agency workers who  are giving it all they,ve got to maintain the service in these very difficult times so you may find ccbc incompetant but please spare a thought for the keyworkers of conwy  thanks

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2020, 09:29:26 am »
Gaztrucker,  when people have a go at CCBC or any other authority they are not having a go at the employees, the vast majority of whom are extremely conscientious and  hard working and they have to work according to the rules and guidelines given to them.
We do appreciate the fact that they work hard in all weather conditions and are in the front line in this pandemic and when the lockdown started we were out there applauding the refuse collectors in the morning as well as clapping for the Nurses in the evening.

I've had a pop at the DVLA for incompetence as their inaction has probably cost the UK  over £100 million each and every year and the CCBC for the West Shore fiasco but I hope that I made it clear at the time that it was the powers that be that caused the problem and not the ordinary employee.
It is too easy to criticize but any criticism should be constructive and directed at the cause of the problem and not those people employed to carry out the work

Offline TELL

« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2020, 09:47:17 am »
Well said Hugo! I think that you speak for most of us.

Online SteveH

« Reply #313 on: September 12, 2020, 10:41:24 am »
I agree with Hugo, in fact our bins still have the "Thank you-Stay safe" signs on them. $good$

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #314 on: September 25, 2020, 07:18:32 pm »
hi as a forum member i cannot let this pass i work for ccbc as a recycling / refuse  driver. myself and my colleagues have worked throughout the ongoing covid pandemic with considerable risk to ourselves to continue to provide the service to the standard expected by the council taxpayers of conwy. as a front line service we will always receive criticism from various members of the community sometimes justified, as a local authority we always act on complaints and our fleet of collection vehicles are equipped with 360 deg cctv we can look at what has allegedly occurred. please remember everyone who reads this, ccbc is your local authority and whatever you think about the decisions made by the council just remember the crews on the ground these lads & girls some of whom are zero  hours contract agency workers who  are giving it all they,ve got to maintain the service in these very difficult times so you may find ccbc incompetant but please spare a thought for the keyworkers of conwy  thanks