Author Topic: Incompetence: CCBC (and other Public Bodies and Statutory Undertakers...)  (Read 115897 times)

Offline cygnusx-1

Re: Incompetence: CCBC (and other Public Bodies and Statutory Undertakers...)
« Reply #330 on: September 07, 2021, 05:26:44 pm »
Was Rome a place 4000 years ago? 2000 years and I would have had more belief in the facts of this item!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #331 on: September 07, 2021, 08:52:45 pm »
Was Rome a place 4000 years ago? 2000 years and I would have had more belief in the facts of this item!!

Indeed, I thought that too.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #332 on: September 07, 2021, 09:09:56 pm »
According to tradition Rome was founded on April 21, 753 B.C. but experts now believe that it was built some time before that date

But even if the dates are out by a bit, the point that was being made was that modern roads just don't last and we have many examples of modern roads up here on Colwyn Heights.

Offline DVT

« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2021, 10:20:25 pm »
... the old roads would have been travesred by animals (mainly horses), human feet and carts (wooden or metal wheels).

... today's road-using vehicles have rubber tyres so shouldn't cause damage - in fact, the opposite as we all have to renew tyres when the tread wears down.

... so the problem must be the quaility of the road surface!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: September 08, 2021, 08:25:08 am »
But...the world population was only a tiny fraction of the present, most people travelled on foot and used footpaths, not roads, and while it's true that roads paved with rocks do last longer the damage they do to modern vehicles' suspension, tyres and bodywork is substantial. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2021, 08:55:27 am »
On an unrelated note, it's possible the entire world population at around 400BC only numbered in the low tens of millions;  it's currently around eight billion. Seems that each time the human population starts a  growth spurt, disease, famine, volcanic eruptions or war appear and take out large chunks of humanity.

Over time we've had the Toba younger eruption, the Deccan traps, the Chicxulub impact, the Great famine, the Justinian plague, the Black Death, the Spanish 'Flu, two world wars, the discovery of nuclear weaponry and we're still here. And volcanologists are now warning the Yellowstone is making ominous rumblings.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2021, 01:03:14 pm »
Yes indeed.
Once Yellowstone erupts, and of course it will.... we as a species are finished.
When the next species takes over, and they find fossilised remains of us humans, I wonder what they will think we really looked like?
Fester...

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2021, 05:15:01 pm »
Check up on the shifting Magnetic poles. We are in the process of a full magnetic reversal which will unfortunately exposes us all to the full effect of Solar Radiation. If I were a betting man I would put my money on this happening before Yellowstone blows its top. On the other hand they may just happen at the same time, in which case we can all put our heads between our legs and kiss our A** goodbye.   ))*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2021, 08:14:05 pm »
The pole reversal historically has taken place over a few thousand years, so it's unlikely to happen quickly. But yes;  there are parts of the S Atlantic where compasses don't work any more.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #339 on: September 09, 2021, 02:48:52 pm »
The pole reversal historically has taken place over a few thousand years, so it's unlikely to happen quickly. But yes;  there are parts of the S Atlantic where compasses don't work any more.

Read up on the splitting of the North Magnetic pole Ian and the speed at which it is migrating Eastward, our few thousand years might jut be coming to an end.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: September 09, 2021, 07:55:51 pm »
Opinion seems to be split but the consensus is that it probably won't happen for quite a while, yet. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #341 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:55 pm »
I don’t like the sound of this!
Another mass extinction event?
One I’ve never heard of.
I need to understand more about this, although I’m sure there’s b****r all I can do about it.
Just one more thing to worry about.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2021, 08:18:38 pm »
I’ve just read a Wikipedia article on geomagnetic reversal, and I am therefore now a world expert on the subject.   $lol$

This was my favourite quote from said article..

‘Statistical analysis shows no evidence for a correlation between reversals and extinctions’

So that’s alright then.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2021, 10:16:12 am »
If you really want, I can point you to the studies done on geomagnetic reversals.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2021, 10:25:52 am »
Care leader warns giving £40m social care fund to councils is like 'putting foxes in charge of hen house'
Councils cannot be trusted to distribute the funding package fairly, says chairman of Care Forum Wales, Mario Kreft MBE

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fears-introducing-garden-waste-charge-21568946