Author Topic: Gravestone of Susannah (Jones) Owen Bn 1821  (Read 15769 times)

Offline emma silk

Re: Gravestone of Susannah (Jones) Owen Bn 1821
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 03:15:35 pm »
Hi, I haven't got a half brother to John born in 1828, I have a William born 1828.  I have Mary, Owen, William, Thomas, Robert, Richard, Jane, Elizabeth and Alice. There definately was a William as he was mentioned in N W Chronicle 2nd March, 1872 picking mushrooms belonging to St.Georges Hotel. I haven't found the rest of this article. I only ever found a couple of their baptism records and not sure about Alice at all. I have some of their marriages which do tie in with the family. xx

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:24 am »
I was in the Archives yesterday and had a quick look at the Burial Index for Llangystennin Church but couldn't find an entry for Moses and Elinor Jones although I believe they are buried there.    The index only includes the graves with headstones though.
After Susannah died did John Owen remarry and get buried at St Tudno's Church on the Great Orme?

Just as a matter of future interest the Conwy Archives holds the following information on Llangystennin:-
Baptisms   from 1608  to 1934
Marriages     "     1608 to 1970
Burials          "     1608 to  1958

Offline jom

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 04:10:31 am »
Hi Emma and Hugo

Emma, Thank you for your email and attachments.   I have found Susannah's baptism which confirms your thoughts that Elinor (Elin), Moses wife was Elinor MAURICE, widow.  Thank you VERY much. 

Your William OWEN Bn 1828, I suspect IS John'ds half brother.  John was born to John OWEN and Ann EVANS illegitimately.  John senior then married Alice WILLIAMS and they had

Mary, Owen, William (1828), Thomas Robert, Richard, Jane, Elizabeth, Alice (John's John junior,s half brothers and sisters)

Hugo,  Thanks for your help to date.  John OWEN (Husband of Susannah) didn't remarry as far as I can tell.  I have his burial noted as Llandudno parish church 20 Jan 1891.  I have the burial record but no specifics on cemetery.  He died at Gas Works Cottages, Eglwys Rhos, Llandudno, Caernarvonshire on 16 Jan 1891

Offline Hugo

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 07:23:34 am »
I've only had a quick look at the Baptism record for Susannah and can see that her mother's name was written down as Elen not Elinor so I don't know which name is correct.
The Parish Church was St Tudno's and I did see an entry in the Burial Index for a John Owen of Gogarth but didn't make a note of the dates or anything else on it and will look properly again now that you have given dates of his burial.
I lived very near to Gas Works Cottage when I was a boy and remember a Harry Jones aka Harry Gas living there and he had a daughter called Sharon but didn't know them that well.   When I used to play in the gas works Harry would often chase after me but thankfully never caught me.
I can't make out the name of the abode at present but will have a better look at it later

Offline jom

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 08:10:21 am »
It's amazing!  Fancy that.  What was it like

Ellior was seemingly noted as Ellin in the earlier documents but Elinor latterly so not sure her true name presumably ellinor.  Emma Silk thinks she was ellinor williams who married david Maurice nr phwellhi.  I can't find anyone more likely but it seems odd that they moved a fair way in distance

Offline jom

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2017, 08:12:09 am »
By the way... I reckoned it stated abode as llangwystenin

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 09:39:09 am »
The abode wasn't Llangystennin Jom and it was in the Parish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy.      Welsh house names usually described the property or where they were located and I've had a look again at the abode but can't actually read it.
The first part I would say is Llongwaith   now in English it means Llong = ship    gwaith  = work  so I presume that it's a ship yard or works and I do know that Glan Conwy did have a small ship building place many years ago.
The rest of the name I just can'r read.
I'm guessing that Elin's name was Morris before she married John

Gas works cottage was a small stone cottage facing on to Maesdu Road but the building was in the Gas works and the whole works covered a large area in its time.      A very large gas tank was directly opposite the front so it didn't have nice views from the cottage.     It's going back nearly 60 years but I can remember them having a nice ornament in the window and thinking that they were very posh.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »
Jom,  I've had a good look at the abode and you are probably correct with Llangwstennin.    It has been spelt in so many different ways but I was convinced that the first part of the name was Llong  but I think that I'm mistaken.
It seems that the name has been split in two because it didn't fit into the  box and the second part of the name is beneath it.
I still can't make out the bit that has been underlined though.
Sorry for the confusion I may have caused

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 01:09:37 pm »
Hugo

Do you think it might be "Ph" which was an abbreviation used for "parish" - that would make sense in the context I think.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »
I think that you are spot on there Cambrian, thanks very much for pointing that out.    The family did live in Maes in Llangystennin and I thought that because of the names like Bwlch Glas,  Waen Fynydd then Maes and Ffordd and Pen Y Bont that it was in Llandudno Junction and I think that one early map has a Maes Villa on the main road.
What are your thoughts on the location of Maes?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 06:03:33 pm »
Had check with the Inclosure Award Schedule for Llangwstenin and "Maes" is listed between "Fordd" and "Morfa Cottage".  This may give a clue.
The holding was 3 roods and 1 perch so more akin to a detached house and reasonably sized garden as opposed to a small-holding.
The owner was Thomas Peers Williams who owned quite a bit of property on the Creuddyn peninsula.

Hugo, I know you go to the archives fairly often.  They have copies of the plans drawn up for the Inclosure Awards so it may be fairly easy to locate "Maes" by reference to the plan and the schedule.

Offline jom

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 11:26:02 pm »
I have also found 2 of Susannah's siblings who were baptised at the same church.  The first born was Elizabeth bp 1822 and the abode was noted as "Bryn = rhus", then Susannah and brother Robert noted as Llangystenin, the remaining siblings (younger) were baptised in Llangystenin abode Maes

Thanks for the info re the parish abbreviation too.  Very helpful

Offline jom

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 11:29:25 pm »
PS Hugo,  No apology needed  $good$  SO easy to misread that it's ALWAYS worth at LEAST 3 looks  :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 08:33:19 am »
I have also found 2 of Susannah's siblings who were baptised at the same church.  The first born was Elizabeth bp 1822 and the abode was noted as "Bryn = rhus", then Susannah and brother Robert noted as Llangystenin, the remaining siblings (younger) were baptised in Llangystenin abode Maes

Thanks for the info re the parish abbreviation too.  Very helpful

Bryn  Rhus could well be Bryn Rhys where there are still a number of old cottages.     It's uphill and at the top of Church Street in Glan Conwy and very near the Church where they would have been baptised.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 10:38:04 am »
This is a photo I took of St Ffraid's Church in Glan Conwy.      It was taken from Church Street and Bryn Rhys is on the same road but a little further uphill