Author Topic: Yet another thread asking for advice on moving to the Llandudno area  (Read 3711 times)

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
Three towners,

I would appreciate any advice on a possible relocation from Aberdeenshire to your lovely part of Wales. We have been in the UK for five years, having moved here from Oz (my wife is a Mancunian…..).

Work would be in Deganwy and I would appreciate any advice on the choice of living there,  Llandudno or Rhos on Sea. Early leaning is towards Llandudno, after all its is reputedly one of the happiest places in the UK, in such illustrious company as Falkirk and Inverness so take that FWIW! I have done plenty of reading before posting here and note references to ‘a dark underbelly’ whatever that may be, and some claims of the area as being in a prolonged state of decline (house prices do seem to continue drifting down post GFC). Read about the north-west as having a strong drug culture, any truth to that? All I have to go off is the great first impression and general feeling when visiting earlier this month; we love the British coast and Victorian architecture and so find the place hugely appealing. Beaches, Snowdonia and endless choice of hill walks are all very attractive as are the mild winters and the Fohn effect  8)

I can imagine the summer traffic in Llandudno must be a headache for locals which is another consideration on where to live. Heard the A55 can be a carpark too but I don’t imagine we will be heading East often so both of these considerations are low down the list.

Looks to be two choices of school for our son to start his GCSE’s – John Bright Llandudno or Eirias Colwyn Bay. Both seem to be rated good by Estyn and had availability for new pupils in 2016, so any input here would be welcome from those who have experience with either.

There is little to rent in the way of well located 3-4 bedroom houses and the ultimate choice of where to live could be down to finding a suitable house wherever it happens to be. Does anyone know if there are many private landlords or do the agents represent most of the available rentals? At the moment this is probably the most appealing of the few available but it's very much blowing out our budget:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-57972841.html

Sorry for the long post but there is much to consider, any advice or words of wisdom will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Simon (mondie)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Yet another thread asking for advice on moving to the Llandudno area
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
Hi, Simon. Things to consider about West Parade are the prevailing wind, which can blow sand around quite a bit, and visitors in the summer months, which can make it quite busy. But there are nice outlooks, good access to the out-of-town routes and fair access to the main shopping centre. The air is about as clean as it gets, there, and the temperatures are fairly even.

In terms of schools either Eirias or John Bright would probably do although in sheer numbers historically Eirias has always sent more to Oxbridge.

I'll merge this thread once you've had all the information you need.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »
All I have to go off is the great first impression and general feeling when visiting earlier this month.

Trust your first instincts, I am sure you and your family will love it.......  ££$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 08:47:09 pm »
I have looked at the house, I know it well, as I walk my dog along there regularly, lovely position, lovely view, easy access to super walking, the beach and even a bus to town. But, unless you can cope with the winter wind and the resulting sand which can be knee deep on the roads please think twice.
Ask Hugo, he also walks his dog in the area.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:46 pm »
I looked at that house too. Very overpriced for the spec I thought. There was also a 4 bedder for much less in Deganwny last week, £800 ish. We were only looking in case we couldn't find anything suitable to buy, but we've had an offer accepted now.

Wherever you end up, make sure it has parking. Lots of lovely old properties in town without it unfortunately.
You may be right about prices, seeing lots of drops recently on Rightmove, but mainly stuff that was optimistic in the first place. This will be our last move until the kids leave (20 years) so not too worried about the short term outlook.

Go for it!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:52:35 pm »
I have looked at the house, I know it well, as I walk my dog along there regularly, lovely position, lovely view, easy access to super walking, the beach and even a bus to town. But, unless you can cope with the winter wind and the resulting sand which can be knee deep on the roads please think twice.
Ask Hugo, he also walks his dog in the area.

I visited a nursing home three doors away from that property many years ago.   That nursing home has since been demolished and three town houses have been built there.
The owner told me, and I had already seen it reported in the local paper that he had ten ton of sand removed from his front garden.  He also said that there was one to two inches of sand in the attic above the patients bedroom.
It is indeed a lovely looking property but because it is opposite those groynes you couldn't leave your windows open on a windy day as the sand could come in.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:26:32 am »
Hi, Simon. Things to consider about West Parade are the prevailing wind, which can blow sand around quite a bit, and visitors in the summer months, which can make it quite busy. But there are nice outlooks, good access to the out-of-town routes and fair access to the main shopping centre. The air is about as clean as it gets, there, and the temperatures are fairly even.

In terms of schools either Eirias or John Bright would probably do although in sheer numbers historically Eirias has always sent more to Oxbridge.

I'll merge this thread once you've had all the information you need.

So glad I posted the link to that house! Sounds like it would be nightmare; a lot of wind is bad enough but the sand would drive me bonkers. I grew up in what I reckon must be one of the most windy places in the world in southern Australia and find it intolerable these days. Thankfully Aberdeen seems to get very little of it and when we do it quickly blows over. We dont necessarily want views so will scratch that house off and look for something more central that will be sheltered somewhat. Limited choice will be the biggest challenge.

Thanks for the pointers so far  ;D Still dont know if the move is on but we expected to find out today but it just drags on and on ........

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:07:18 pm »
The sand which blows from the beach is a constant thing in the Westerly wind. We live approx. 3/4 mile away and have stopped wasting money on window cleaning. As soon as they had been cleaned the next wind and rain made them like frosted glass. My OH gives them a good hose down if they get too bad !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:14 pm »
Nemesis, were you living there before 1993 when they did the new sea defence on the West Shore?      The only reason I'm asking that is if you have noticed any difference with the sand problem since then.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 04:11:26 pm »
No Hugo. We moved here in 1999, so the defence was there when we came.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:18 pm »
Thanks Nemesis,  I know I go on a bit about the man made disaster on the West Shore but it would be interesting to know whether people who lived there before 1993 think that the sand problem  is worse or not.     

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 05:38:44 pm »
Its looking good for this move after I was made a verbal offer yesterday. I suspect it will be a few weeks before all the details are tied down and we can begin to plan in earnest. My job would start after easter and the rest of the clan would move down in the summer. Does anybody know of any cheap basic short stay accommodation they could suggest for me for around 3 mths bach'ing?

The discussion over the sand issue has been interesting, certainly not something an outsider would ever suspect. Given the almost complete lack of choice in 4 bed homes, if the property is still available come May, we may have to accept the wind and sandstorms as an inevitability to live in Llandudno.

Cheers,
Simon

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 09:34:47 pm »
Travelodge might be willing to do you a deal.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:19 pm »
Thanks Nemesis, I will give them a call.

A friend just sent me this link, looks ideal to find a room for a few months until my relocates. It will be like being a student again  ;)

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/clwyd/colwyn_bay

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:43 am »
Hi Mondie,

Depending on your budget some of these look good, the one on the front at Rhos looks a dream, but is the dearest !
Some areas of the Bay are lovely, but some are very run down. If your friend is local and has time to spare, perhaps he/she would have a quick look for you.
Good luck ! ££$