Author Topic: Vanished shops of Llandudno  (Read 51350 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Vanished shops of Llandudno
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 05:00:23 am »
I remember Stange's as well. There used to be a great display of fruit and veg outside on the pavement. How the sales assistants braved the weather though always amazed me.

going back to Stanges, the brothers jimmy and Billy sold out and bought pubs including the Cottage Loaf who remebers Dunphys which was next door to Stanges, when I first started working part time for Stanges I used to drool at the hams and cheeses. Derek.

Stange & Co can be seen on the left in this postcard circa 1910:

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 11:00:23 am »
wasn,t their a butchers called espleys by the arcade ,[milk bar side ]we used to do the harry worth sketch outside kendals window
I remember doing that too!

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »
Gardeners for cigs, papers and sweets, Jack Smith's for sweets, penny Oxos, sherbet and liquorice sticks, Cimatti's for oddballs, Worseleys for sweets, Dyffryn Dairy for booze and bacon bones, Kirby's for spuds, Overton's for brilliantly delivered orders, Tunnicliffe's for the best chips in town, Turton's a close second and a pretty daughter, Twists for tea and biscuits, Kershaw's for puncture repairs, Blades for blades and Bradley's for my cheap school uniform.

Ble'r mae.  ?{}? ?{}? ?{}? ?{}?
Micox

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 07:09:09 pm »
Nadin's; Gardners; Sargent's; Worseley's; Overton's; Irwin's; Lexicon Library.
Micox

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »
I've just read this thread for the first time. so I am bringing up matters which were first mentioned six months ago. Two firms, both from Rhyl, but both had branches in Llandudno. First, Rhydwen Jones and Davies, furniture, sold out to Courts. On the corner opposite the Post Office. I knew this firm well. Had branches in Colwyn Bay and Bangor, but the main one was in Rhyl.  I also know why the very old, aristocratic firm HAD to sell. It wasent the usual bad trading, or anything like that.  More to do with the fact that Mr. W Rhydwen Jones was a very, very careful man with his money, and that was basically the trouble. I know its fifty years ago but I dont think I can go further on an open forum just in case any of the descendants might happen to read the forum. Secondly, Espleys the pork butchers. Again from Rhyl. Branches in Flint and, I think, Prestatyn. Jim Espley was the Mayor of Rhyl at one time.  Here the trouble was, as so often, the Public health gave the Rhyl shop a shocking inspection, and this was the begining of the end. This is, or was, public knowledge.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 09:30:58 am »
Mr. W Rhydwen Jones was a very, very careful man with his money, and that was basically the trouble. I know its fifty years ago but I dont think I can go further on an open forum just in case any of the descendants might happen to read the forum.
Come on, Mike, you can't leave us in suspense like that?!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 10:30:01 am »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:16 am »
Lexicon Library is now Ty Gobaith/Hope House shop, I think.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 12:57:01 am »
 :laugh: I remember scanning that Blades advert two years ago.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 10:55:31 pm »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:10 pm »
Have just read a post from Dave on August 11th. I havent been dodging answering, I just missed reading you, Dave,  I'll just take a chance and hope no distant relatives of the late W. Rhydwen Jones reads this. Mr. Jones was the boss of the firm W.Rhydwen Jones and Davies, Furniture, and removals and storage with branches in Rhyl, Llandudno, Bangor and Colwyn Bay. It was a limited company. But, around 1963 or 4, Mr Jones was medically told that he was suffering with cancer, and it was bad. The financial implications then came out--Mr Jones, being a strict chapel going man, had always kept a very close eye on his cash, and when the limited company was formed, for whatever reason, he wasent parting with the four valuable properties which he personally owned---he kept them for himself. Now potential death duties came up. His estate was going to be hit hard. So he took out an insurance policy, I'm not sure of the figures because of inflation has messed around with my memory, but in todays terms it was probably something like a three year whole life term, premium £500,000 per annum. If he died in the first year his estate collected 1 and a half million. If he died in the second year the sum was a million. If he died in the third year, half a million. He lived for four years, paid out £1,500,000 in premiums and his estate received nothing. The company virtually sold up and got out whilst they could.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »
Nice story, as always, Mike. Where was their Colwyn Bay store...was it on the corner across from Lloyds Bank?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:43 pm »
No, it was about a third of the way down Station Road on the left hand side. I dont know what is there now, but it was about two or three shops above the amusement arcade

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 07:35:37 pm »
On reflection I should have mentioned this at the end of the post. The great irony was Rhydwen Jones had spent his whole life looking after the pennies. He did'nt want to die, who does? But, in the end, every day he lived was costing his estate how much? £100 a £1,000 or £10,000---I dont know and there is little point in wasting time working it out. But he must have gone through a mental very troubled last few years.