Author Topic: Vanished shops of Llandudno  (Read 51379 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Vanished shops of Llandudno
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:55:25 pm »
I've retrieved this thread from the old Llandudno Forum;

Where did you get your sweets from? Billy Mac's, Red Shop or Jack Leonard's in Madoc Street, Thompsons in Trinity Avenue, the Tuck Shop by John Bright School to name a few.

Penny shrimps, parma violets, penny chocolate bars, fizzers, sherbert dabs, cherry lips come to mind.
There was a sweet shop called the Kiosk next to the main post office where we would buy sherbet lollies. I remember the Red Shop and Days by the traffic lights, and Jacks in Alexandra Road. I remember a shop in Madoc Street where I used to buy Spanish Gold, but it was the one next to the corner shop where the Christmas shop was for a few years, I don't remember the Book shop one.

Cimattis at the end of Clifton road was another good shop, and at the corner on Trinity Avenue was the Dairy.
My Grandfather ran the shop (JB Tuck Shop) on the corner of Howard Road in the 1930's - there are a couple of photo's on the members gallery on this website. we must have kept the local dentists in business!

Q. What was the name of the other Madoc St sweetshop before it became a bookshop?
Leonards was the one in Madoc street! There was also a Thompsons around the corner by the Carlton near the prom.
Yes, Leonards was on the corner of Madoc St and Red Shop or Waverleys was next to the pub owned by the Plumber family but the one in the middle with Welsh speaking chap which he turned into a bookshop, we used to go there on Sundays after church. I think his name was Mr. Hughes?

Our Historian Richard Sutton says Mr Hughes did run the shop in the middle of Madoc Street, he ran it with his wife, they had a son called Eryll Hughes. The shop was called Marsdens. Cimattis was more of a grocers than a sweet shop, a bit of everything really. Thompsons around the corner of the Carlton, sold beach toys for the tourists, plenty of pop to drink with the likes of Corona and Tizer which you could get tuppence back for the bottle, they had wire tops in them days which were resealable. We used to have a giggle with Mr Wright at the top of Mostyn Street corner Church Walks, we would bring in bottles which we found and he would pay, after we would sneak round back and return the same bottles again, meaning we'd get four pence for the bottles, he never found out thankfully!

I used to work for John Smith at Thompsons on South Parade, he had an incredible collection of old postcards etc and knew so much interesting stuff about local businesses and people. his grandfather g r thompson was known as the postcard king because of the number he used to sell in his several outlets.does anyone remember their shop in Mostyn Street where the coffee centre is now?

I liked the Premier Tobacco & Sweet Shop in lower Mostyn Street. There were always loads of jars of wonderful sweets on display.

I used to buy my pipe tobacco from the Premier!!! I used to have a quarter ounce of Liquorice and 3 quarters of an ounce of Vanilla mixed, used to smoke a pipe in the winter time while working on the pier, good way to keep your hands warm.

Getting the thread back on topic, I remember Sandbach used to sell some nice hand made chocolates. I always remember the aroma as one entered the shop and the mahogany counter running down one wall, very traditional.
Q. I don't know for certain though, did they make the chocolates on the premises or were they simply bought in?
Sandbach's made their own chocolates on the premises. My Mother Nellie Roberts woked in the shop about 30 years ago for Mr David Sandbach She made up boxes of chocolates to order and putting customer choices into bags as they waited. I always had soft centres for myself and milk chocolate drops for children. It is sad this shop is no longer there. There is more info and pictures elsewhere on the Forum. It is true, as someone said, it was like the Tardis a small outside but amazing inside.

Another shop that hasn't been mention that was an institution was Stange & Co where I worked for years on saturdays and school holidays. The owner Jimmy Rowlands was a second dad to me, an absolutely brilliant bloke full of good humour. I remember the Christmas period, it was hectic but great fun,the blokes staggering in from the Carlton on Christmas eve to buy the missus some flowers, fond memories of Martin Payne who bought a big bunch of crysanth blooms and by the time he got 20 yds down mostyn st there was hardly a petal left on them!! also remember Joyce Elias who worked with me for years. Great fun.

I remember Stange's as well. There used to be a great display of fruit and veg outside on the pavement. How the sales assistants braved the weather though always amazed me. I also remember the tobacconists next door ran by Jimmy's brother I think, Billy. When they both collectively closed down, Billy Rowlands, in a deal to get planning permission for the site, was reported to have promised to use the elegant wooden shop front from both premises in a new shop development in Conwy. Unfortunately this never transpired and another piece of Llandudno finery was seemingly lost forever.
going back to Stanges, the brothers jimmy and Billy sold out and bought pubs including the Cottage Loaf who remebers Dunphys which was next door to Stanges, when I first started working part time for Stanges I used to drool at the hams and cheeses. Derek.

Sumners was a great shop, I used to go there every Saturday as a kid for a bap! Looking at the photo, I also see Arnolds, another familiar name. Q. Can anyone remind me what they sold?
A. Arnold sold allsorts, clothes and household stuff, ornament, scarfes purses and wallets, handbags, hats, it was like an "are you being served?" moment, I remember they had terrific sales, people queued outside, even overnight to get a massive reduction. They were also very good foe curtains and bed linen.

The gentleman killed at Dunphys store Was I believe Mr Chamberlin the Managing Director. I do not know if he was killed by the Woolworth lift or Dunphys Wharehouse hoist that was at the rear outside the store. I would be suprised if he had been inside the Woolworth lift well. Mr Chamberlin before his promotion had been the manager of Dunphys store in Craig-Y-Don.They had 5 shops altogether The others being in Deganwy,Conwy and Penmaenmawr + a WharehouseAnd Bakery where The Cottage Loaf now Stands. When thet were demolished Several beams were salvaged and used in the Loaf. These beams originaly salvaged from ships that had been wrecked on llandudno Beach in the late 1850 s and were part of the ships masts.

The comment about the aroma in the store brings back memories. The smells were from various spices that were sold loose,ground coffeeand the sides of Irish and Danish bacon that were hung from the ceiling and of course the smoked hams and bacon. a smell you could die for Things you could really get a flavour and taste from.I am talking about the late 1950s. Just befre super markets came about. Dunphys was classed as a High CLASS STORE.Most of the staff were characters and long serving but that is another story.

Anybody remember the original Rest And Be Thankful. It was an old beat up kiosk on The Marine drive. No electricity.Paraffin fridges specially provided by Walls Ice Cream. The rep pulled his hair out in the late 60s scouring the country ,Really :!: looking for wicks. He usually found some in Birmingham. The Lady who ran it would not pay to have electricity put in from the Light House. Dont ask me how they worked I dont know.

in my 1969 trade directory, Arnolds is advertised as Rochester House, 83-85 Mostyn Street.
The Arnold family originated from Narborough in Norfolk. There was a shop in Sussex Street Rhyl, run by Robert Arnold, and the Llandudno shop was established in 1882. In 1901 resident at the premises was Alexander Hughes, his wife Charlotte (nee Arnold) and their 6 children. Also resident was Charlotte's sister Mary.

Anyone remember 'Stylo' shoe shop on the corner of St George's place & Mostyn St, opposite the Midland (now HSBC) bank? The premises now functions as a cafe. I used to buy a vast assortment of shoes & boots there as styles changed over the years. Platform shoes with four-inch heels and gold tipped toes for the Youthie Disco, Jesus sandals for the summer, black brogues for church and Clarkes Commandoes for school. My first pair of boots were Major Domo's (poor man's Doctor Martens) before I saved up to buy the real McCoy with 'Bouncing Soles'. I was never the proud owner of a pair of Hush Puppies though for some reason.

the Wimpy was definitely once where the National Milk Bar was and where Burger King eventually moved into around the late eighties and early nineties. I know because my kids had their birthday parties there with Mr Wimpy. That was a franchise run by national milk bars the 1st wimpy in town was at the bottom of mostyn street this would have been in the late 70s.

Does anyone remember when Tesco,s was by bog island. It then became Kitchen Range and then became part of Courts furnishers building. Than there was E B Jones further on . Off Licence were the Kitchen shop is now. (corner of Jones Street) Mac Fisheries then were Habit Tea Rooms is now. Then between there and the Book Corner there was a fruit and veg shop called Waterworths. Across the road there was a butchers and I can remember a posh clothes shop, I think it was called Brooks. and of course the old Fortes ice cream parlour. If I can think of any more I will be sure to get back. Please forgive if these have already been mentioned been going through lots of pages but they could be in there somewhere. :?:

macfisheries was where simon baker is now and was next to Stylo, I also remember Tesco being near bog island that also had steps up to it and was part of what was Courts next to Brian Davies'. That was a small tesco only one isle up and another down, it always used to flood just outside there when the weather was bad.

I don't think the furniture store was Courts back then. I'm sure it was Rydwyn Jones & Davies.

any one remember 'wilkinsons photography shop' in craig y don? it is were the rspca charity shop is to day just down from st pauls church.I always remeber taking my 120 roll of film in there as a kid to be developed,how is it i seemed to take 20 shots and only got 5 images back? that would be early 60's

Anyone remember the bakers/cake and bread shop dale jones's -  they had a shop in craig y don,now a hair dressers next to the small passage way up from old peters radio and one next to the kings arms. always remember buying a cake on the way home from old central school...we use to call it " stale jones's" ha ...although the cakes where always good..and those baked loafs of bread with a dark brown crust on them and baked fresh every day..dont get bread like that anymore!!!!

I'm thinking the buildings may have a connection with John Littler a beverage producer in during the ninteenth century. (see the 'ginger beer & aerated waters topic).

Anyone remember 'Nails & Stuff' Ironmomgers in Craig-y-don? I always remember it was like 'Aladdin's Cave' inside - you could find anything there, from a new seal for a 1960's pressure-cooker to a chain & handle for a 1940's toilet.

It was in the building where Apollo Dvd shop was , now occupied by Daz will drive You taxi firm.
As stated earlier, he sold every bit of hardware you can think of and some you never heard of, if he did not have it in he used to say "we've got some coming in tomorrow," he would then scuttle up to B&Q to see if he could by it there for you.
We used to joke that if you went in and asked for a cruise missile, he'd say come back later.
Truly a great character.

Yes i remember it well,it had one of thoses smells that if you had your eyes closed you would know what shop you where in,old woodden floor booards,it use to be called" Bevans" i believe before it was nails and stuff,in the winter when i was young it was my job to take a old petrol can down to this shop and get parraffin that they would fill up from the back. it was one of those shops that these days you would expect the two Ronnies to pop up and ask for " four canddles" 0r was it "fork hanndles" any way you would have been able to get both in this old shop i am sure! a real B&Q of the past with out the queues,

The one in Vaughan St was Griff Roberts and the one in Upper Mostyn St was Riddells. I recall buying paraffin at one in Madoc St by Lazars but can't recall the name. I think its now part of the convenience store.

Does anyone remember Palmers news agents in craig y don? it was where Le-Gatte coffe /resturant is now. it was a long shop,sold many varried articles,run by a husband and wife team mr and mrs Palmer,they had a handicaped son.It was there for years 1950 through to the mid 60's. it is so hard to remember when you look back just when these shops changed hands and use.

davids church..and palmers old shop is now a posh coffee shop with street seating,when its warm enough!!!! ha. and not next to the county.although that one is still there and still does a good business.clarks libray or should i say was a library many years ago is now a paper /sweet shop,and as you say was run by a guy called steve( steve russcoe he retired about 2 years ago) his brother at one time ran another sweet shop about 6 doors up,was it called the creamery???? and the midland bank has now gone and is a up market pottery/china shop.

I remember not so long ago (about 2001) that there was a tiny newsagent situated where the toning shop next door to Le Gatte is now. It was left empty for quite a while (still fully stocked) until the whole block was sold, renovated and then let out.

It was run by Vernon who now works in Waterstones, formerly Ottakers, opposite M&S.

clarks libray or should i say was a library many years ago is now a paper /sweet shop,and as you say was run by a guy called steve( steve russcoe he retired about 2 years ago
Mike, I believe Steve Ruscoe sold up a couple of years ago but I don't think he has actually retired.

You will probably find Steve working more sensible hours these days at another newsagents up by the Empire Hotel and on the corner of Church Walks/Upper Mostyn Street.

The new owner, Brian David, decided to retain the former name of Ruscoes.

The Dale Jones Cafe and bakery was next to the Kings Head, and until about 5 years ago the actual Cafe upstairs was exactly as it was when it closed down in the 70's. Including the kitchen with the old cooker and so on. The building still belongs to the Dale Jones family and they visit Llandudno often, unfortunatly Mrs Dale-Jones passed away several years ago. A truly lovely lady!!!

Does anyone remember the small sweet shop in craig y don and its name...the one i am talking about was situated where peters radio entrance is,if you look at the entrance you can see the two pillars either side of the entrance,that was the size of the small shop. then next to it you can see where the shoe shop was..i think it was called roberts shoe shop. these two pld shops where knocked together to form peters radio together with the old valley radio.The entrance to valley radio was right on the corner where peters radio turns towards the now bay grill that was the old forties ice creame.

I think the order of shops (towards Little Orme) was:

Ledsham, Tobacconist
Ladies Hairdresser
Rogers Sports (and toys ?)
Cross's Shoes

The building was designed by the prominent Llandudno Architect, Arthur Hewitt, (he also designed the Savoy, Palladium and Winter Gardens to name a few). Somewhere I have a photo taken of Victoria Buildings (which is the name of the parade of shops) shortly after they were built. If I find it I will pass to Craig to see if it can be scanned in.

I think the shops are now owned by Janet Finch Saunders (see also Garages) and rented out.

I just can't remember the name of the Italian barber but he later moved next door to Pratt's the Fishermongers where there is still a barber shop in business today. The shop is currently run by the lovely Laura. Previously, it was a guy called Benito, who I understand used to work as a barber on the cruise liners?

Who remembers the two vehicles owned by hills the florist in craig y don,if i remember they where the same colour orange as the screen boarder on this site. one was a 15cwt bedford van and their car i think was either a Ford consul or a zephyr. They seemd to have them for ever and a day,they just kept going and going and where always parked out side the shop.

Has anyone ever noticed the ornate Victorian sinage above Milletts in Mostyn Street? A very different sight would greet the eyes of the people pictured outside, if they were able to walk past around 150 years ago. Does anyone remember this shop when it was Cousin's Bakery and cafe, in the late 70's. I worked there for a while, and during the Bakers strike (remember the bakers strike?) Me and another guy stayed late and fired up the oven and baked a load of I know it used to be a butchers, as when Ethel Austin revamped the building last year, the tiled walls were exposed and the tiles made pictures of animals, sheep pigs cows etc. On the sign it says Purveyers too. I don't know if the shop was built for something else originally.

I think there is a preservation order of some sort on it,same as the Clock above the Halifax Building Society (86 Mostyn St)a few doors up. There is a fund set up to keep that running. It used to be "The Clock Vaults" (Overton House)owned by Richard Owen. I have yet to find the connection between the two families but i have a birth certificate dated 1882 stating a birth at 80 Mostyn St for one of Richard Owens decendants

Offline Trojan

Re: Vanished shops of Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:47:34 am »
Thompsons around the corner of the Carlton, sold beach toys for the tourists, plenty of pop to drink with the likes of Corona and Tizer which you could get tuppence back for the bottle, they had wire tops in them days which were resealable.

There was also a Thompsons around the corner by the Carlton near the prom.

I used to work for John Smith at Thompsons on South Parade, he had an incredible collection of old postcards etc and knew so much interesting stuff about local businesses and people. his grandfather g r thompson was known as the postcard king because of the number he used to sell in his several outlets.

G.R. Thompson's in South Parade:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:21:46 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:55:49 am »
Does anyone remember their shop in Mostyn Street where the coffee centre is now?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:58:37 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:02:39 am »
I remember Sandbach used to sell some nice hand made chocolates. I always remember the aroma as one entered the shop and the mahogany counter running down one wall, very traditional.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:05:08 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:12:05 am »
I don't know for certain though, did they make the chocolates on the premises or were they simply bought in?

Suepp wrote:

Sandbach's made their own chocolates on the premises. My Mother Nellie Roberts woked in the shop about 30 years ago for Mr David Sandbach She made up boxes of chocolates to order and putting customer choices into bags as they waited. I always had soft centres for myself and milk chocolate drops for children. It is sad this shop is no longer there. There is more info and pictures elsewhere on the Forum. It is true, as someone said, it was like the Tardis a small outside but amazing inside.

Mrs Nellie Roberts, Sandbach's 1968:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:19:38 am »
We used to have a giggle with Mr Wright at the top of Mostyn Street corner Church Walks, we would bring in bottles which we found and he would pay, after we would sneak round back and return the same bottles again, meaning we'd get four pence for the bottles, he never found out thankfully!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:29:25 am »
Anybody remember the original Rest And Be Thankful. It was an old beat up kiosk on The Marine drive. No electricity.Paraffin fridges specially provided by Walls Ice Cream. The rep pulled his hair out in the late 60s scouring the country ,Really :!: looking for wicks. He usually found some in Birmingham. The Lady who ran it would not pay to have electricity put in from the Light House. Dont ask me how they worked I dont know.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:40:28 am »
Anyone remember the bakers/cake and bread shop dale jones's -  they had a shop in craig y don,now a hair dressers next to the small passage way up from old peters radio and one next to the kings arms. always remember buying a cake on the way home from old central school...we used to call it "stale jones'" ha ...although the cakes where always good..and those baked loafs of bread with a dark brown crust on them and baked fresh every day..dont get bread like that anymore!!!!

Dale Jones' Mostyn St: (next to the Kings Arms)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:44:44 am by Trojan »

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:52 am »
Anyone remember the bakers/cake and bread shop dale jones's -  they had a shop in craig y don,now a hair dressers next to the small passage way up from old peters radio and one next to the kings arms. always remember buying a cake on the way home from old central school...we used to call it "stale jones'" ha ...although the cakes where always good..and those baked loafs of bread with a dark brown crust on them and baked fresh every day..dont get bread like that anymore!!!!

There was a girl in my alpha form in JBGS during the early sixties called Julie Dale-Jones and I think her parents ran the Avondale at that time.

Here is my post from the other day.

Was this the same shop or was it next door to the Avondale ?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 03:54:52 am »
Macfisheries was where simon baker is now and was next to Stylo.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:59:11 am »
Anyone remember the bakers/cake and bread shop dale jones's -  they had a shop in craig y don,now a hair dressers next to the small passage way up from old peters radio and one next to the kings arms. always remember buying a cake on the way home from old central school...we used to call it "stale jones'" ha ...although the cakes where always good..and those baked loafs of bread with a dark brown crust on them and baked fresh every day..dont get bread like that anymore!!!!

There was a girl in my alpha form in JBGS during the early sixties called Julie Dale-Jones and I think her parents ran the Avondale at that time.

Here is my post from the other day.

Was this the same shop or was it next door to the Avondale ?

You're up early Bri!  :o

I believe the Avondale was to the right of Dale Jones'.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 04:17:49 am »
Yes, Trojan, I went to bed early at 9pm suffering from depression after the football match.

Thanks for putting me straight.  $thanx$

I am going back to bed now.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:28:20 am »
 what was the name of the jewellers opposite the harrington pub next to hepworths and macfisheries had a shop in lloyd st, the small bakers down brooke st ,  fresh cakes before school

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:38 pm »
I don't know for certain though, did they make the chocolates on the premises or were they simply bought in?

Suepp wrote:

Mrs Nellie Roberts, Sandbach's 1968:

Just to clarify Nellie Roberts was my grandmother it was my mum who wrote the above!

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:08 pm »
the name of the jewellery shop was MANSELS,i think they came here  from england.the family lived for a short while in a flat in ffordd dwyfor.there was mr and mrs mansel and a son ,possibly michael,the business later moved to the corner of moon st. and mostyn broadway,mike tick tock took over the shop after moving from his shop next to baxters photography.but this has got me thinking was there two shops on this corner or just the one.