Author Topic: Vanished shops of Llandudno  (Read 51398 times)

Offline shnugs

Re: Vanished shops of Llandudno
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2021, 02:10:45 pm »
Does anyone remember the Barber shop in a basement inside another shop, you had to walk down stairs, I think it was up by the old woolworths.
welsh and proud even though far away.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2021, 06:05:15 pm »
Yes, I remember.

Was it a tobacconists?

Offline shnugs

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2021, 06:15:17 pm »
Yes Bri it was and i am thinking was it the tobacconist by bog island or by woolies , I remmeber the tobaco shop near bog island was amazing and used to buy my Mostyn mix there, but seem to think the shop was narrow and then you went to back down 1 flight of stairs.. thanks for reply

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2021, 06:25:55 pm »
Yes, the Rowlands brothers ran the businesses.  One brother had the tobacconists and the other a fresh fruit and veg stall outside.  The barbers was down stairs as you say. It was at 109 Mostyn Street between the Cambridge and what was Woolworths.  The fruit business was called Stange & Co.  Not sure the reason.  Interestingly that name was carried on for the trading company of the Cottage Loaf by Bill Rowlands when he left the the Mostyn Street premises.  When the Cottage Loaf was sold on, the name Stange & Co is still used by the group which now owns it and several other gastro pubs in North Wales and the Wirral.

Offline shnugs

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2021, 06:44:04 pm »
Cambrian Thank you, yes it come back now. he just had 2 chairs down there i was 9 or so. btw sad really the tobacco shop at bog island was such a treasure, the smells and all getting my mix before going in the pub. again thank you .

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2021, 07:42:08 pm »
The tobacconist by bog island was the Premier, Peter Kelly had it when he left the Links pub.

Offline shnugs

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2021, 09:53:04 am »
 $3towns$ thanks guys, nice to remember the good times and not the usual crap that went on there.  &well&

Offline Helig

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2021, 03:18:48 pm »
The Rowlands brothers were some sort of relations to my family. I am not quite sure how they fit in. We used to often call on the brother in the fruit and veg shop in Mostyn St. That was back in the 1960s.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2021, 03:37:51 pm »
Does anyone remember Blairmans? The firm of Blairman was established in Llandudno in 1884. They sold porcelain, china, and other decorative items. There are details on the shop and family here:

https://blairman.co.uk/about/

https://blairman.co.uk/philip-blairman-early-memories-words/

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/print-edition/2017/july/2299/dealer-s-diary/why-the-blairman-bunch-do-like-to-be-beside-the-seaside/

https://www.google.com/search?q=blairmans+llandudno&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=AkPO1elfxKfgbM%252Cpei5FT00JYIFSM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSOXrFzBn91WNKfJ5NbE7ixeLmMZw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6157-waPvAhVAQUEAHQLCDKwQ9QF6BAgREAE

I remember my mother talking about it so it must have been in existence in her lifetime. She was born in 1923 in Llandudno. A photo shown on the first link shows the shop on the corner of Mostyn St and Lloyd St.

It may be that there is no one alive now who recalls this but has anyone heard about it?

Helig

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2021, 07:07:45 pm »
Here is a photo, Helig.

P.S. I clearly posted this, Helig, before reading your links.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Vanished shops of Llandudno...NW Woolworths
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2021, 10:31:10 am »
A look back at Woolworths in North Wales captured in these poignant pictures
The former HIgh Street giant disappeared from our streets.

cont/photo gallery https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/look-back-woolworths-north-wales-20653187

Offline tonyf

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:21 pm »
My old school friend Ian Botham's (not the Ian Botham) father was the manager of Woolworths in the early 60's. A good man! They rented a house in Church Walks, snooker table etc - great days. Ian was a big oppo of Tommy Atherton and I believe Ian emigrated to Oz as an apprentice book binder? Paul, his eldest brother worked in town as an electrician for an old war vet working from back Maboc street? Paul had a 1930's car (Riley maybe) that had two seats when you opened the boot. Paul took me, Phill Plevey and another who I can't remember to Manchester to visit Billy Baskerville who's father ran the Carlton and had been posted to another pub. Phill and I sat in the back getting a load of looks! Funnily, both myself, Phill and Billy joined the RN before we knew what Ian did? I'm in touch with Phill (lives in Scotland) but if anyone has any info on the Botham's or Baskervilles I would much appreciate it.