Author Topic: Descendants of the choir of the 17th Battalion Royal Welch Fusliers.  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
There has been an appeal in the press for the descendants of the choir of the 17th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers who were runners up in the 1915 National Eisteddfod held in Bangor. It says that the men were recruited from places as Blaenau Ffestiniog, Llandudno and Wrexham. Press report here:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/national-eisteddfod-appeals-find-tragic-12357436

They haven't listed the names of the individuals concerned. I wonder if anyone has local knowledge of men from Llandudno who may have served in this?

Within 2 years of the Eisteddfod, every member of the choir had been killed in action with the exception of Lance Corporal Samuel Evans. It is thought there were up to 25 young men in the choir.

Helig.

Offline mull

Re: Descendants of the choir of the 17th Battalion Royal Welch Fusliers.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 11:45:31 pm »
Dont know if this helps but might be some record on :-

Plwyf Llandudno Parish. Great War Project.
Found 2 cousins of my father,born in Conway, on this site.

Offline Helig

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:05 am »
Thank you, Mull. I have sent a message to the contact shown in the article and volunteered to research the descendants of the people concerned. It is impossible unless they give me some names to work on.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:40:03 pm »
I have received a reply from the contact shown in the press article. She informs me that they do not have any names for the people in the choir. They were hoping that their descendants might be able to help.

Thinking about it, there must have been some coverage in the press back then. I doubt they will make much progress without names of the people in the choir.

Helig