Author Topic: Arnhall, Bryn-y-Bia Road  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Jelly Baby

Arnhall, Bryn-y-Bia Road
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:52 am »
I know Arnhall was a Dr Barnardo's girls' home from 1949 on, but does anyone know what it was before then? Who owned/ran it? Also was it ever used as an unmarried mothers' home?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Arnhall, Bryn-y-Bia Road
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:37:14 pm »
I found this extract from the Daily Post dated 2013 but I also read one of DaveR's  postings that it was built in the late 1800's by members of the Tate & Lyle sugar company.  I can't remember much more than that but if you put Arnhall into the search engine on this forum you might get some info as it has been discussed on here before

“It was the first large house to be built at Craigside when it was called Arnhall. It went on to become a girls’ school and a Dr Barnardo’s Children’s Home before becoming the T Gwyn nursing home, which closed last year.

“We believe it to be one of the finest buildings in the area which was recognised when it was granted Grade II listing, and it would be tragic for it to be demolished. We’re really delighted that the planning application has been withdrawn,” said the historical society’s chairman John Lawson-Reay.

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:15:54 am »
Thanks Hugo! I read about the Tate and Lyle connexion. Also the Marstons in Cheshire, which had been a boys home for some time but when that closed the boys were relocated to Arnhall (in 1962 from memory). Most of the Arnhall children went to Bodafon primary school. I was at Bodafon myself from 1953(-ish!) to 1960, so I only knew girls from Arnhall.
It was also supposed to have been called Summerfield at some stage(?)
I found the early pic of Arnhall on this site - wow! Must have been one of the very first buildings on B-y-B Rd, so I can only assume from that, that it was always called Arnhall, so I don't know where the Summerfield bit fits in.
I'm especially interested in the period 1925-1927 as I believe my Grandmother may have been a cleaner there, where she met a "lady with no husband" and adopted her 2 little daughters.

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:37:46 am »
Oops! Silly me, it wasn't the Marstons, it was the Marfords!!