Author Topic: Jones family of LLandudno  (Read 35720 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Jones family of LLandudno
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:01 pm »
Hi Chad,
Going to try and send you sme photos.
Hope this works, like a journey to the moon for me.

Photo 1 . Pierce jones, Brookes street , Llandudno.

Photo 2. Jane Jones, Brookes Street, Llandudno. Baby Grace Ellen ?

Hope this goes OK.

Offline mull

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 08:42:03 pm »
More photos,

Old lady, unknown

Jane Jones, Brookes Street

Offline mull

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »
More photos,

Pierce Jones with his boat.
Other photo 2 men with the boat endorsed last one he had taken.
Wonder if they were accomplished boatmen. Remember Uncle Dick,( Richard Benjamin Jones) telling me they used to go fishing off the West Constable Bank when he was a young boy.
Remember in early 1950s there used to be a chap selling fish off a hand cart corner off Mostyn Street/Lloyd Street he had caught off the bay.

Grace Ellen Jones.

Offline mull

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 09:37:03 pm »
Photo 1. Taken by one of her patients, Bessie  ?

Photo 2. Left to right Richard Benjamin,Jane (Richards wife), Margret Myfanwy, Grace Ellen (nain), Gwennie, John Jones jnr (taid).

Offline mull

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »
Photo of Rechard Benjamin ( Uncle Dick ).

Photo 22 October 1938. My mother, Margret Myfanwny Jones given away by Uncle Dick married Harry Hadkinson Davies .
           Tabernacl Baptist Church, Llandudno.

Offline mull

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 10:08:46 pm »
Thats all for now folks. Golden Wedding of Richard & Jane early 1960s.
Chad, Hope you have found it ineresting.

Mull

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 01:31:59 am »
Hey there!!

I have to say that was awesome!! So glad to see these people and to confirm that our Pierce is definitely the same guy! I actually have the 1st pic you sent me of Pierce sitting sorta poised, I have a different version of him in the boat, which I will post to the site soon, but he is for sure the SAME! Geez, it is like an early Christmas over on this side of the water. Thanks also to all the pics of the cemetery that were sent, It is really helpful to be able to reference those stones for information.  I am looking forward to attaching these folks to there rightful places on the tree and keep searching for details. I have a few different pics of Richard (Dick) delivering mail etc, he looks like he would have been a nice guy, I would have loved to have met him and his wife! You guys have been so helpful with this search, I am still trying to get up with some of our other distant family members to collect as much info and especially pics as possible. I wonder, did you get a chance to look at any of the pics I posted to the gallery of this blog? Will continue to post more when possible. Was that an old pic of Tan Y Wal connected to the other homes? Thanks again, will be in touch again soon, working this weekend, but off Monday and Tuesday! Thanks guys!! Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 01:31:52 pm »
 Hey, I have to say, I looked through the pics you sent again!  I so much enjoy them. so John Jones Jr was Grace Ellen's husband right. She married a Jones am I correct? Love the picture of your mother too. who was Gwennie? Chad. Also, the cobbler, where did he fall in tree?
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »
More photos,

Pierce Jones with his boat.
Other photo 2 men with the boat endorsed last one he had taken.
Wonder if they were accomplished boatmen. Remember Uncle Dick,( Richard Benjamin Jones) telling me they used to go fishing off the West Constable Bank when he was a young boy.
Remember in early 1950s there used to be a chap selling fish off a hand cart corner off Mostyn Street/Lloyd Street he had caught off the bay.

Grace Ellen Jones.

Mull,  the man you may be thinking of could have been Ted ( Yr Ogof)  Jones, see attached link.       So many Jones,' could he be linked to your family?   
Ted was a lovely guy and would probably have known Richard and the family because of the connection to the sea

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_qpaOxfvQAhVrDsAKHQ8KCmMQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhistorypoints.org%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3Dted-yr-ogof-memorial&usg=AFQjCNHaOrbO1Bzx0LKJ4aExBD-fAwz6Gg

Offline mull

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 06:44:15 pm »
Pleased you are enjoying this Chad.

Gwennie was Gwyneth Jones, Grace Ellens second daughter.
Hugh Hughes, Cobbler, lived Tan Y Wal ,Penrhynside. Still to find more about him. Wonder if there is an Anglesey connection ?

Hugo. Never realised it was him.Seen his memorial on the prom many times.Recall being with my Uncle Dick on occasions when he stopped to chat with him.  More Jones as relations, are you being serious ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 10:47:45 pm »
Hugo. Never realised it was him.Seen his memorial on the prom many times.Recall being with my Uncle Dick on occasions when he stopped to chat with him.  More Jones as relations, are you being serious ?

Isaac and Miriam Jones reared 15 children in the Gogarth Cave, now Ted Yr Ogof was their great grandson and Ted was one of 12 siblings born to his parents Jac Yr Ogof and Mary Jones so there is a possibility but I don't know the answer.
It seems that the Rabbits  were not the only ones breeding quickly on the Great Orme.          ;D

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 06:18:13 am »
Well considering how quickly you guys do research this is probably old news, but I was thinking about Hugh Hughes from the pics you sent. I believe that Pierce Jones' sister Ann Jones married Richard Hughes, and one of their kids was Hugh. so that would have made Hugh, Grace Ellen's uncle I believe. Cool pics again, thanks. Hope it wasn't all completely redundant information guys! ! I was able to finally print out pics of Grace Ellen, Percy, Bessie, Mary Jane, and Annie Maria and it is crazy how much they all looked alike!! Trying to figure out if the unidentified girl is a nurse, or a maid?
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 01:15:09 pm »
Nope, Ann would have been Grace Ellen's aunt, Hugh then a cousin right!!?? That's what I get for messing with this stuff too late at night!! Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Helig

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 11:56:16 am »
I am trying to absorb where we are up to with this, having been busy for  a while recently. One thing that has struck me is that the inscriptions on the graves of John and Elizabeth Jones show they were born c1810. John died in 1861, age 50, so he was born c1810. Elizabeth died in 1895, age 85, so she was also born c1810.

The census we have shows ages which don't agree with these dates, so which ones are right? The grave inscriptions would be presumed to be factual, so what has happened on the census returns?

I have found them on the 1861 census, this is for sure as they are living in Tan y Wal. This would have been taken shortly before John Jones died. The household is as follows:

John Jones, Head, age 47, Stone Mason, married, born Eglwys Rhos
Elizabeth Jones, wife, age 49, born Caerhun.
Ann Jones, daughter, unmarried, age 15, born Eglwys Rhos
William Jones, son, age 8, born Eglwys Rhos.
John Jones, son, age 4, born Eglwys Rhos.

I found Elizabeth Jones and family in the 1871, still living at Tan y Wal. This shows:

Elizabeth Jones, Head, widow, age 59, Labourer's widow, born Caerhun.
Pierce Jones, son, unmarried, age 20, Labourer, born Eglwys Rhos.
John Jones, son, age 13, born Eglwys Rhos
Anne Jones, age 24, daughter, Dressmaker, born Eglwys Rhos.

In the 1881 census, Elizabeth Jones is living in Tan y Wal and the household is as follows:

Elizabeth Jones, Head, widow, age 68, Quarryman's widow (crossed out), born Caerhun.
Richard Hughes, son in law, married, age 34, Journeyman Stonemason, born Gyffin.
Anne Hughes, daughter, age 35, born Eglwys Rhos.
John Hughes, grandson, age 4, born Eglwys Rhos.
Hugh Hughes, grandson, age 2, born Eglwys Rhos.

The 1891 census shows Elizabeth Jones living in the household of Richard Hughes, they are in Tan y Wal. The household is as follows:

Richard Hughes, Head, married, age 44, Stone Mason, born Gyffin.
Ann Hughes, wife, age 44, Cook (crossed out)born Eglwys Rhos.
John Hughes, son, age 13, scholar, born Eglwys Rhos.
Hugh Hughes, son, age 11, scholar, born Eglwys Rhos.
Elizabeth Anne Jones, Mother in Law, widow, age 79, Knitting Hose, born Caerhun.

The ages vary a bit but the 1861 census gives a year of birth for John Jones as c1814. For Elizabeth Jones it is c1812. Elizabeth's age in subsequent census returns indicate a year of birth as c1812-13.

I wonder if Hugo could look in the archives to see if he can find their baptisms in these years?

There is a Family Tree on Ancestry which has this line and it shows John Jones born 1814, Llangystenin, father Evan Jones. There are some details on this which are incorrect so it cannot be relied on as being accurate.

I know Mull wanted to know how Hugh Hughes fitted in with his family. The census details indicate that Hugh Hughes was a nephew of Pierce Jones. Pierce's sister Anne married Richard Hughes and Hugh was their son. Hugh was born 1879.

I hope this fits another piece of the jigsaw into place but we are still seeking the years and birth and baptisms for John and Elizabeth Jones, nee Williams.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 12:17:30 pm »
Just an update. There is a baptism for Richard Hughes in Gyffin on 4 February 1847, son of John and Margaret Hughes.

In the 1871 census this family is living at Graig Llwyd, Eglwys Rhos.

John Hughes, Head, married, age 54, Agricultural Labourer, born Eglwys Rhos
Margaret Hughes, wife, age 60 born Amlwch, Anglesey.
Richard Hughes, son, unmarried, age 24, Ag Lab, born Eglwys Rhos
Hugh Hughes, son, age 21, unmarried, born Eglwys Rhos. Note states: Idiot.
Catherine Hughes, daughter, age 14, born Eglwys Rhos.

Helig