Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 83000 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »
I've just had a quick look through Find my Past and there is a John Jones born 1882 in Llandegfan.   I wonder if this is the same person in the Baptism records for 1882 and that John Jones Jnr was born in 1882 and not 1883 as stated in the papers that Mull has?

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2016, 07:42:45 pm »
Hey there, I have pics of Richard Benjamin Robert Jones, of a sister Lizzie (Bessie) Jones, Mary Jane Jones, and Annie Maria Jones (My GGGrandmother), and Percy Jones who I believe ended up living in Australia. Let me know if I can help with anything and of course lets trade info if you have the time. Sorry to just come out of nowhere, and I need to reread your blogs, but I do believe we have the same peeps.  Chad Kirk
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline mull

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2016, 12:34:33 pm »
Never realised it would take off like this.
Will have to find time to try and put all this information together. Every time you think you are getting somewhere another thing pops up.

Going global now !  Welcome to the trail , Chad KIrk from Virginia,USA.

Offline Helig

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2016, 03:04:00 pm »
Mull, the information gathered this week will take you some time to assimilate. I can trace the lines down further to more recent times if you want this information. Let me know if you want me to search for more and which direction you would like this to take.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2016, 03:15:36 pm »
Helig, I found a free site and had a dabble on the Pierce Jones side but posted it on the  Jones of Llandudno site.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2016, 01:13:54 am »
Hey Mull,

I would love to hear from you, whatever mode of communication is easiest for you. My email is kirk18@cox.net. I would like to take a look at any pictures you might have, and I would be happy to share all that I have found with you. I bet we can fill in  a lot of gaps! Let me know. Where are you living? Chad Kirk
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2016, 04:43:50 pm »
Mull,  I went for a walk today to Pentraeth on Anglesey and on the way we picked up another friend who happens to live at Llandegfan.
We were driving past the Church so we stopped and I took some photos.
The first is of the Church with Tan Y Fynwent on the left, the second is of Tan Y Fynwent and the third of Tyn Llan.     Tyn Llan is the two storey building and there is another property attached to it.

We did have a quick look at the graves but you really need to see a burial index to find the grave's location.  We found one for Catherine who lived in Tyn Llan and it's enclosed for you to see.
I've also enclosed a photo of a headstone that is very close to the rear door at Tan Y Fynwent

Offline mull

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2016, 08:07:06 pm »
Hi Hugo you are lucky living close enough to follow all this up.

From past postings I think you are bi lingual. Could you let me have a translation for Kathleans gravestone.
This must have been who I took my father to see after my mother died in 1990. After my father died in 1992 she wrote me a loverly letter.
At that time I was living in York and workwise it was hectic so I did not follow it up with a visit to Llandegfan.

Thanks again for what you have turned up I will try and send you my email address via Ian.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:45 pm »
I'll translate it for you tomorrow Mull and post it on here.    I was looking for the grave of John and Margaret but came across Catherine's so I took the photo.
You really need a plan of the graveyard to find anyone and one small part of it which is behind Tyn Llan is so overgrown you just can't venture into it.   The Burial record for the Church is in the Archives in Llangefni

Offline Hugo

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2016, 03:06:51 pm »
Mull,  here is a rough translation of the headstone:-

In loving memory
of
Richard Jones
Tyn Llan      Llandegfan
Died 3rd Jan 1957
Aged 52 years
His sleep is so quiet
Also his wife
Catherine May Jones
      (Morris)
The wife fears the Lord
She shall be praised
Given from the fruits of her hand
Let her work be praised in the gateway

If your other Jones relatives have headstones then it would be easier and quicker to see exactly where they are in the graveyard.   The Anglesey Archives have confirmed that they do hold those records.
When I looked at Tyn Llan there is a name plate in slate by the front door, but I also noticed an older name plate on the side extension and enclose a photo of it.       Ty'n Llan is it's correct name with the apostrophe between the Y and the N, although that isn't quite correct either.
The name literally  means "The house in the enclosure of the Church"         Eglwys being the name for the Church building

Offline mull

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2016, 10:05:42 pm »
Hi Hugo, thanks for the translation of the gravestone.
It was November 1990 when I drove my dad over to see Kathlean, she would have been 80 then 2years older than my father.
I can remember parking outside the house and I sure there has been some alterations over the past 16 years. I do not remember an extension on the side but maybe my memory is not correct.
I( have two letters from Kathlean and she has written the address as Tan Llan.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2016, 10:55:00 pm »
The old name plate was on the single storey building on the left and I initially thought that the single storey building on the right was part of Tyn Llan but it's a separate property and I took a photo of the name plate on it.
It's a common thing in Wales to see an apostrophe missing so don't worry if you see the name with or without the apostrophe.   I think the correct name would be Ty yn y Llan but it's a bit of a mouthful and the name is often shortened as it has been with Catherine's house.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2016, 01:47:32 pm »
I went to Bryn Gwynt Lane today to take a photo of Tan Y Wal but initially I couldn't find the cottage so I asked an elderly  gentleman where it was and he pointed out the cottage which was next door and lower down the hill.
I then had a very interesting chat with Mr Roberts who has lived in the village all his life.   He remembers Hugh Hughes the cobbler very well and said that when he was a boy he used to go into Hugh's workplace and watch him repairing shoes.  He added that Hugh was not just a cobbler because he used to make boots and shoes also and was very good at doing so.
I had to ask him about Hugh's alleged habit of chewing tobacco and he confirmed that this was true and that Hugh used to spit it out into the fire when he had finished chewing the stuff!
I went up to the cottage through the wide grassy gate as the smaller gate was blocked by the undergrowth.    The photos show the gate, the view of the cottage from the lane and then the cottage itself. The views are very good from up there but today was overcast so the photo does not do it justice.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2016, 10:31:46 am »
I had a look in the 1841 Census for John and Elizabeth Jones and found an entry for them living in Tyn Y Coed Eglwysrhos.   Although the dates of birth agree I do need to check things just to make sure that they are your relatives.
I'm off to the Archives hopefully this week to check on a couple of things before your visit Mull and they may save you some time when you are down here.
By the way Mull, I realise that I didn't put my e-mail address in my recent e-mail to you but you can get it by putting the cursor over my name and this will display the address for you.  If you then right click on it you can then add me to your list of contacts.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »
I went to the Conwy Archives today and had a look through a number of Burial indexes and found the graves for Pierce & Jane Jones and also for his father John and Elizabeth his wife.    I found them in the graveyard of Capel Einion which is the Baptist Cemetery in Ffordd Wiga Glanwydden.       I have got the locations of the graves in the Cemetery but I won't go there to take any photos until I get my protective clothes on as it's the worst Cemetery I've ever seen, it's like a jungle!     However now that I've seen part of Llandegfan Cemetery I'd describe that as the worst.

Anyway this is the information I have found from the Burial Indexes;-
Plot A 030 and written in English
In loving memory of Jane Jones, the beloved daughter of Pierce and Jane Jones  Tan Y Wal who died Sept 7th 1881 aged 14 months
                                                   Also
Joseph Wm Jones who died September 29th 1889 aged 13 months
                                                   Also
Jane Ann Jones beloved wife of the said Pierce Jones who died October 6th 1915 aged 66 years
They are not dead but only ..... rest
                                                  Also
Pierce Jones died April 23rd 1922 aged 71 years    at rest

Further into the Cemetery at Grave A 061 is the grave for Pierce's parents John and Elizabeth and their inscription is in Welsh and the translation into English is :-

In memory of John Jones Tan Y Wal Penrhynside who died September 24th 1861 aged 50 years
                                       Also
Elizabeth Jones his wife who died June 27th 1895 aged 85 years

I then had a look at the Baptism records for Llangystennin but there were 2 John Jones Baptised in 1817 and one in 1816 so I was not able to establish exactly your relative.    A date of birth may be needed in this case.