Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82884 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« on: November 06, 2016, 08:59:21 pm »
Since breaking my leg in June I havehad time to start looking into my family roots in the 3 Towns Area. I have found a certain amount  from family papers and photos but am looking for guidance on using any ancestry websites. Some look expensive and how effective are they?
Early in the New Year I hope to spend  few days in North Wales and will be able to visit the archive offices in Llandudno and Llangefni. Do you need to make a booking to do this ?

I am trying to find more information about my Nain and her family :-
Grace Ellen Jones. Born sometime 1885. Did they issue Birth Certificates at that time ?

I know she had a brother, Richard Bengamin Jones ( Dick) who was a postman in Llandudno for 46 years. Did she have a sister , Rose, who married Emlyn Thomas, Beach Road ,Bangor. Also possibly a brother, Percy. Do not know much about Percy but I believe he was a member of the lifeboat crew.

My nain married John Jones on 6th July 1915 in St Georges Church, Llandudno. John Jones was born in Llandegfan ,Amglesey in 1883, possibly in the house next to the church, Tyn Llan. I am interested if John also had any brothers and sisters.
John went to sea in 1900 and i have his Seamans Dischage Book recording his ships until 1910. In 1910 he joined Mersy Docks and Harbour Board as a Dock Gateman at Canada and Langton Docks.
At that time he went to live in Bootle and he and Nain lived there at differant addresses until his death in Walton Hospital at the early age of 53.
My Nains mother and father lived in Brooks Street and I have photos of him on the North shore with boats/dingies, was he a Boatman/ Fisherman ?
In addition to Brooks Street I have a post card addressed to my Nain at Severn Cottage, Back Augusta Street which I suspect is in the same area. I can not pick up Back Augusta Street on Street view. After 100+ years it probably no longer exists. The post card has been redirected to the Royal Hotel and I am aware nain was in service at sometime and I can remember her talking about Cragside Hydro.

Wish I had asked these questions when I was younger.

Hope someone on this site can help me with this.

All the best from the Isle of Mull, Snow on top of Ben More today, first time this winter.

Offline Hugo

Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:23:28 pm »
Mull,  I can't give you any advice on the ancestry websites as I always use those in the Library or Archives as they are free.   $good$
You don't need to make any appointment at the Archives, all you do is ring the bell and then they let you in and you just have to sign the register.  Once inside tell the people what you are looking for, they are very friendly and helpful and will show you where things are.

All certificates of births, marriages and deaths in  England and Wales since 1 July 1837 are kept at the General Register Office (GRO).
If you are tracing a birth, marriage or death before 1 July 1837, look for parish registers in local archives

The Census records go up to 1911 online and you can get a lot of info from those.

Back Augusta Street is now called Brookes Street and those cottages are still there now ( they will be somewhere near the Trinity Ave part).   I've only listed a few things above to get things started but there will be much more info at the Conwy Archives that you can look at.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:35:59 am »
The only thing I can add to Hugo's comments is that the Registrar's Office is situated at the Town Hall, Llandudno, in the same road as the Archives, Lloyd Street.

There are indexes there to search for births, marriages and deaths (from 1837) in what is now the County Borough of Conwy.  The staff  are knowledgeable and helpful.  It could save time if you want a copy certificate as they will more or less do it there and then.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:29 am »
Hi Mull - no snow here in Staffordshire.

I've just had a quick look at Ancestry - there are a number of families with a Grace Ellen Jones.

Do you know Grace's parents details?

Please email so that I can send you a screenshot.

PhilMick

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:52:02 am »
Here's a shot of the 1901 cencus for bck Augusta Street

Offline Helig

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:31:25 am »
Hello Mull,

I expect you are still freezing today. I speak as someone living north of the border but not as far up as you. I think we have snow for tomorrow.

Grace Ellen Jones is in the 1911 census in Llandudno, she is a servant in The Royal Hotel. The census return shows her age as 25, she is single and her occupation is of House Chambermaid. She was born in Llandudno and she spoke both Welsh and English.

1901 census shows Grace with her family. They are living in Back Augusta Street as you have said. The head of the household is Pierce Jones age 50, born Llandudno and a Master Plasterer. The rest of the household is as follows:

Jane A Jones, age 50, wife, born Bangor.
Percy Jones, son, age 18, single, Apprentice Plasterer, born Llandudno.
Grace E Jones, daughter, single, age 16, born Llandudno.
Harry Jones, son, age 14, single, Apprentice Plasterer, born Llandudno.
Richard B.J. Jones, son, age 10, born Llandudno.
Jane M Jones, daughter, age 8, born Llandudno. All speak both Welsh and English.

1891 census, living in Severn Cottage, Back Augusta Street, Llandudno.

Pierce Jones, Head, age 40, Plasterer, born Llanrhos, Caerns. Speaks Welsh and English as do all the people listed.
Jane Jones, wife, age 41, born Bangor.
John Jones, son, age 15, Plasterer, born Llandudno.
Catherine Jones, daughter, age 17, born Llandudno
Elizabeth Jones, daughter, age 14, born Llandudno.
Ann Jones, daughter, age 10, born Llandudno.
Pierce Jones, son, age 8, born Llandudno (query over Pierce as his name)
Grace Jones, daughter, age 6, born Llandudno.
Harry Jones, son, age 5, born Llandudno
Richard Jones, son, age 8 months, born Llandudno.

Pierce Jones married Jane Ann Williams in the December quarter of 1874 in Conwy Registration District.

There is at least one Family Tree on Ancestry for this line.

Helig

Offline mull

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:58:53 pm »
Thanks everyone for coming up with the information and so quick.
I have only had time to have a quick look as a bit much going on today.
Thanks again i will be back when I have more time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:01 pm »
There isn't a cottage in that section of Brookes Street called Severn now but that is not to say that the cottage has been demolished.
The Conwy Archives have a number of Street Indexes that could help to locate where the cottage was and the best ones to look at would be the ones for 1911 and 1914.
They list the people in alphabetical order so you just look for Pierce Jones and the index will tell you where he lived.

Offline Helig

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:52:52 am »
Mull,
Do you know the names of the parents of John Jones, b1883, Llandegfan? He is proving difficult to locate in the census based on his details alone.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:25 pm »
As far as I can ascertain by checking the Street Indexes for various years  No 2 Severn Cottages is now No 21 Brookes Street Llandudno and is the cream coloured building on the right.    The cottage adjoining it on the left was No 1 Severn Cottages (now No20 Brookes Street)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 11:15:14 pm »
Mull,
Do you know the names of the parents of John Jones, b1883, Llandegfan? He is proving difficult to locate in the census based on his details alone.

Helig.

There were over 600 John Jones' in the 1891 Census so I can see how you have got a problem tracing him Helig.   I've had a look at some notes that I made in the Archives today and they actually have Registers for marriages in St Georges Church.   I didn't look at any today due to lack of time but the Marriage Register that needs to be seen is the one covering the years 1911 to 1923 and referenced at CEP 17/1/25  that Register should supply the info that you get from a Certificate of Marriage

Offline mull

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:57 am »
Thanks again for all the hard work.
Taid John Jones born Llandegfan 1883. I have had a quick look through some of the papers but can not find a D.O.B or fathers name.
All I have found is a note that his father died January 7th 1930 and was buried January 11th.

Hugo --- Thanks for the photos. I did wonder if the number severn perhaps was because it was at the back of 7 Augusts Street but that does not appear to be the case.
Will see if I can find out a bit more but have to go out this morning.

Offline mull

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 09:49:14 am »
Thanks again for all the hard work.
Taid John Jones born Llandegfan 1883. I have had a quick look through some of the papers but can not find a D.O.B or fathers name.
All I have found is a note that his father died January 7th 1930 and was buried January 11th.

Hugo --- Thanks for the photos. I did wonder if the number severn perhaps was because it was at the back of 7 Augusts Street but that does not appear to be the case.
Will see if I can find out a bit more but have to go out this morning.

Offline Helig

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 11:00:48 am »
I have had another attempt to trace John Jones in the census returns for 1891 and 1911, still unsuccessful. I don't expect to find him in the 1901 if he was at sea after 1900. There should be an entry for him in Liverpool area for 1911. The most useful would be the 1891 as that would have him with his family.

I look forward to Hugo's findings when he looks at the marriage details.

There is snow here today and it snowed all through the night. The snow ploughs were out yesterday afternoon. How is it on Mull?

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:25:22 pm »
I'm hoping to go to the Archives again this week so I'll make a point of looking at the Marriage Register for John Jones, so hopefully it may help.   I saw that there were over 600 entries for John Jones in Anglesey alone in the 1891 Census so we'll see what we can find at the Archives.
It's been raining here all morning but there is snow on top of Snowdon now so we may have some snow on the coast before too long.

Mull,  I think the two cottages were named after the River Severn which starts in Wales and is the longest river in the UK although by coincidence  Severn Cottages  must be somewhere near the back of 7 Augusta Street.