Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82643 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:14 pm »
Mull,       Tan Y Wal has come up again on the market.    It is up for sale with Fletcher Poole  ref RP2040 but at present there isn't a link on their website.
It's priced at £274,950.00 and has planning for one extra bedroom in the cottage and a new build upside down house with 3 double bedrooms and open plan living accommodation.
I bet it'll have fantastic views from the first floor,  nice second home for you when you  come here on your holiday?     ;D

Offline mull

« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2019, 10:27:32 pm »
Thanks for keeping me posted Hugo.
Wish they would tidy the grounds .
Seems strange how over the past 10/20/30 years the owners have been unable to go ahead with the building work that has been authorised.
Is it something to do with access ?
When we had a look at the site I was upset at how it had been neglected. The ground in front of the cottage is now overgrown and the expansive views are now blocked.
Wish I had the means to restore it but can now just look on.

Have to wait for Ernie to come up with the numbers, some hope.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2019, 07:38:22 am »
I went to Penrhynside to take a photo of Tan Y Wal but couldn't find a place to park the car.    It's a nightmare trying to park there anyway so access to the site will be extremely difficult for any developer.
One day I saw a large bin lorry coming down Bryn Y Gwynt Lane and it was only a brilliant piece of driving that got the wagon past the telegraph pole and even then both wing mirrors were tightly tucked in or otherwise the driver couldn't have got past

https://www.fletcherpoole.com/properties-for-sale/property/9530396-bryn-gwynt-lane-penrhynside-llandudno

Offline mull

« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2019, 08:55:39 am »
Tan Y Wal has been knocked about so much they may as well demolish it. Hard to believe the state of my old bedroom (Photo 10 ).

Photos taken of the grounds and views do not show the way large trees have been allowed to grow blocking the extensive view. Must have been neglected over many years.
They could convert the grounds into the village car park and make some money that way  $hands$

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2019, 12:39:16 pm »
 Hey fellas! I went back and saw I missed a post from Hugo, sorry for not having gotten back sooner. I have 2 two teenagers and one in traveling soccer  so I am gone all the time! Lol. My great great  grandmother's  name was Annie Maria(h) Kirk originally Jones. I believe she was probably born and grew up a Tan Y Wal. Her father was Pierce Jones. I found she was born 1881 and died young in 1909. I am also trying to track her sister Bessie. I have hit so many road blocks I would really appreciate any help at all! She married Alfred Kirk in 1900.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2019, 03:18:28 pm »
Hi Kirk,  I might be wrong but I've a feeling that Annie Maria Jones would have been brought up in Severn Cottage rear of Augusta Street ( the street is now called Brookes Street.   Unfortunately I cannot find my copy of the 1891 Census to confirm this.
If I remember correctly she died in 1909 in the Solihull District and you were looking for her burial place which sadly we couldn't find
As for her sister Bessie  ( was she called Elizabeth? )  perhaps Mull knows something that may help you.

Offline mull

« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2019, 10:38:10 am »
Hi Folks,
Just got back from a couple of days in Glasgow. When I get a chance I will look up any information I have got on Bessie.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2019, 02:57:44 am »
Hey fellas. I only know of her as Bessie. I have an old pic of her where she signed it my Great grandfather and his brother William Pierce Kirk (Pierce coming from Annie's father) and William from Alfred's father and his younger bro John Reginald Archibald Kirk  "To Willie and Jack from aunt Bessie. She signed the marriage certificate of Alfred and Annie as Bessie as well. Not sure how she was written on birth certificate as I can't find it yet. So then maybe Pierce Jones was born at Tan Y Wall then I wonder if she was born at Tan Y Wall or Severn Cottage. I also found a letter from a relative living on an island somewhere to relative's still living there. Will look for that postcard and attach soon. Lots of our folks living in those places generation after generation. Really cool. Also, yep, I still can't find where Annie is buried. Afraid I may not. My great aunt is still alive here in the states. I have been updating her on any finds. It amazes me that Annie was her grandmother yet we/ she never knew much about her. She died young and the boys got sent to Halifax pretty early on. Funny how a small project for a sweet little lady has become like another occupation for me for like 8 years now! You guys have been invaluable, I appreciate anything you find. Tell Mull if he ever has time to call me or I would call him or whatever is most convenient for him! Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2019, 03:17:54 am »
Aunt Bessie
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Helig

« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2019, 09:55:04 am »
Hello Chad,

I know that I did some research on this board a while ago but haven't read the 18 pages of posts today. I cannot recall exactly what was found on this line but you mention Bessie Jones, daughter of Pierce Jones.

There are some entries for her on Find My Past. These show she attended St Beuno's National School in Llandudno. The first school admission register and log book shows her date of birth as 14 February 1878. Her date of admission to the school was 5 January 1888. Her father is shown as Pierce Jones. On the first register the address is abbreviated to Bk Ag St. On 15 September 1889 she left for Board School. A later Log book for St Beuno's National school shows her as having a date of birth as 18 February 1879 and admitted to the school on 18 March 1990. Father is Pierce Jones and their address is 7 Bk Aug St. That would be Back Augusta Street. This time on the line above her there is an entry for Annie Jones, her sister. The details are that her date of birth was 11 April 1878. She started school 11 March 1990 as well. Father's name and address are the same.

I cannot find a baptism for her under the name of Bessie, or a birth registration under that name either. There is a marriage for an Elizabeth Jones in Llandudno on 23 December 1902. The details of the marriage are: William Henry Rusholme, age 25, bachelor, occupation: Bridge builder, of 165 Gladstone Avenue, ..... Park, Wood Green, London, father William Rusholme, Pier Master. Elizabeth Jones, age 24, spinster, of Severn Cottage, Back Augusta Street, Llandudno, father Pierce Jones, Plasterer. Witnesses were: Joseph Rusholme, Grace Ellen Jones and Pierce Jones. They have all signed the certificate which is on Find My past.

There is an entry for an Elizabeth Rusholme in the 1939 register, living at 37 Connaught Road, Margate, Kent. She is shown as born 14 February 1878, married and occupation: unpaid domestic duties. She has two others in the household: Gwladys E Rusholme, born 3 July 1910,single, unpaid domestic duties and Violet G Rusholme, born 28 February 1907, single, unpaid domestic duties.

There is a birth registration for Gwladys E Rusholme in Edmonton in 1910. One for Violet Gwendoline Rusholme in Edmonton in 1907.

It might be an idea to have a new board on Bessie alone as this is getting a bit unwieldy.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #265 on: September 28, 2019, 10:27:42 am »
Just a bit more on Bessie Jones.

There is a death registration for Gwladys E Rusholme in Chard, Somerset in 1961. She has a birth year of 1910.

Violet Gwendoline Rusholme died in 1986, the death is registered in Honiton, Devon. She has a birth year of 1907.

Elizabeth Rusholme died in 1953, the death is registered in Chard, Somerset. Her birth year was 1878.

William Henry Rusholme died in 1965, the death is registered in Chard, Somerset. His year of birth was 1878.

It might be worth you getting the certificates.

Helig

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #266 on: September 28, 2019, 04:06:15 pm »
Hey!  You never stop surprising me with your finds! I really appreciate you giving me an avenue to follow as I have been hitting road block after road block! So I a going to start that new board! Thanks again guys, maybe this will get me one step to finding Annie Maria!
                                                                                                                                              Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #267 on: September 28, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »
Helig, you have been really busy on this one and at least we know that her real name was Elizabeth.    I've tried to find her grave online but had no luck tracing it
Chad seems to be having no luck with his relative Annie Maria and he's in the same position as you are with your Elizabeth Kerridge but I hope something turns up for both of you
You are right that  It might be an idea to have a new board on Bessie alone as this is getting a bit unwieldy,  perhaps Ian will be kind enough to do the honours and it may make searching easier in the future

Offline Hugo

« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2019, 03:49:29 pm »
Hi Mull,  hope that you are all keeping well up there on the island.     I went to the Baptist Cemetery at Glanwydden today and if you can remember when we went there together it was a mess.
Today when I visited the place I had a nice surprise as someone has cleaned the place up and done a very good job, while I was there I took a photo of the grave of John Jones who was I think your G G Grandfather on Grace Ellen's side of the family

Without looking through all the past postings I think that John was from Llandudno although we thought at one time that he was from Llangystennin.    If that is correct then,   I wonder if there is any connection with the many John Jones' that keep cropping up under the Pwllygwichiad  thread?

It seems that it was a very popular name as Grace Ellen married your Taid who was from Llandegfan

Offline mull

« Reply #269 on: December 29, 2019, 06:26:15 pm »
Weather been wild and stormy up here but all good so far. Hope things all good in Colwyn Bay.

Whoever it is has done a good job in the burial ground although I am having trouble reading the headstone. Is it in welsh ?

I have been following the Pwllygwichiad thread as well and find it incredible how popular the name John Jones is. Would not be a surprise if there is a connection .

Can recall my mother mentioning a connection between a person at Tan Y Wal and Anglesey. Was only a small boy at the time in the 1950s and did not take much attention, to what she was saying, but  it was something about whoever it was having red hair. Another clue ? maybe, but it seems there was a big connection between Llandudno area and Anglesey.