Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82897 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2018, 01:24:43 pm »
I had a quick look at Roots UK for the years 1883 and 1884 and there were hundreds of John Jones born in the UK, but in Anglesey there were only 7 born in 1883 and 9 born in 1884.
These can then be broken into Districts within Anglesey so that will reduce the number we are looking for.

The problem was that because I don't subscribe to Roots UK i was unable to do any more so back to the Archives for a free search

Offline Hugo

« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:36 pm »
I was looking back on previous posts today and could see that Helig had already established who Pierce Jones' Grandparents were in one of his previous postings.

It was made on the 18th Jan 2017 but under the heading of "the Jones family" and from what I can see Ty Llwyd  appears to be in Eglwysrhos, so it doesn't solve the mystery of where Pierce's father was born, other than that it was in Llangystennin somewhere.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »
I was in the Archives yesterday and had a look at the Burial Indexes for St Hilary's Church Llanrhos and the Baptist Church in Glanwydden.
I was hoping to see if there was a grave for John Jones b 1776  of Pen Y Parc but couldn't see an entry in those two indexes.

I did see two entries for Burials in Llanrhos for families from Pen Y Parc, the first was for the Jones family and it was written in Welsh but I've roughly translated it as follows:-    Grave No B 079

In affectionate memory of William Jones,  Pen Y Parc Penrhynside who died December 19th 1899 aged 57
Remembering the good is wonderful
Also
Ann Jones who died September 5th 1911 aged 63

In affectionate memory of Gaynor Jones dear wife of John Jones Sea View Penrhynside
Asleep in Jesus    November 1st 1918  aged 50
Peace perfect peace
Also
John Jones  husband of the above who died March 16th 1945  aged 76
Asleep in the grave

Hope that the names mean something to you Mull

In another grave No B 109 were members of the Roberts family from Pen Y Parc, the headstone was written in English and buried there were Sarah Ann Roberts,  Bridget Roberts and George Roberts

Offline Hugo

« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2018, 06:33:51 pm »
Mull, I was in the Archives today and found this out about Pierce Jones but I think that this may relate to Pierce Jones' son also called Pierce Jones but known as Percy for some reason.   His future wife was living at 29 Jubilee Street and that's where they lived when they got married and we had a quick look at the house when you were here last year.

CG3 - Conwy Union Records
Cyfernod / Ref No CG3/907
Teitl / Title SUPERINTENDENT REGISTRAR'S CERTIFICATE FOR MARRIAGE WITHOUT LICENCE
Ddisgrifiad / Description re Pierce Jones, plasterer of Severn Cottage, Back Augusta Street, Llandudno and Harriet Owen of 29 Jubilee Street, Eglwysrhos
Dyddiad / Date 1905 Jan 3
Graddau / Extent 1 item
Lefel / Level Item

The catalogues are now online and you can search for them by going into the Conwy County Borough Council website.   
Click on search, then put in Conwy Archives and send it.
Then click on  Online catalogue, click on Go and then   put "Pierce Jones" in search and then click on it.

You'll see the above there but go through each one and in particular No's 8 & 9,    I wonder if that's your Pierce but I'll leave that up to you to search for the answer.
Hope that everything goes well with the operation on your eye next month

Offline mull

« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:37 am »
Thanks for putting that in Hugo I will look at it when I get a chance.

Problems in the house to attend to first. Cistern in upstairs bathroom leaking now through kitchen ceiling. Managed to stop the flow now trying to find a plumber, usual lad gone to see his family in Yorkshire.
Dishwasher now playing up and electrics to upstairs shower kaput.
At least no sand here yet although wind NW Force 9/10 forecast for tonight and I am supposed to be catching the first ferry in the morning en route to Paisley.

Why does it all happen at once ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2018, 04:42:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problems with the house Mull,   I hope that you can get them all sorted out soon

Yesterday a chance came along to see the Memorial Stone in memory of that tragic accident when a young boy lost his life at the foot of the cliffs on the Little Orme.    It was your ancestor Pierce Jones who found the body there.    I've attached some photos of the Memorial Stone for you to see

Offline Hugo

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2018, 10:51:39 am »
Hi Mull,   I was pleased to hear that everything went well with your cataract operation and hope that everything gets back to normal up there on the island.

I've enclosed a few links for you to look at and the first is Pen Y Parc which has just come up for sale.  I think that it was your G G G Grandfather John Jones who lived there
http://smithandwypler.co.uk/property-details/25716680

The second is of the WW 2  War Memorial.     Pierce Jones    AKA Percy  and his wife Harriet who lived at 29 Jubilee Street in 1911  had a son called Gwilym  and sadly his name appears on the roll of honour.     He was a corporal in the RAF  and died on the 12th September 1942 aged 28
 http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=llandudno-war-memorial-sww

The third is just a snippet about Pierce Jones   (G Grandfather)   in 1880.     In the 1881 Census Pierce was living at the rear of the Parade Hotel   (Vadre Lane)
http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib1_1210604901

As soon as I hear more about Pierce Jnr I'll post it on here

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2018, 04:07:29 pm »
A forum member very kindly sent me a photo of Gwilym Jones who sadly lost his life in WW 2.       It is believed that Gwilym had a brother called Glyn who served in the Royal Navy during WW 2.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:25 am »
Wow! What terrific info guys! I have a picture of 2 small children who were supposedly Percy's children. Do you know if these boys were twins or pretty close in age?
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:39 pm »
The forum member who sent me the photo said that he thought Gwilym had two other brothers and is going to make enquiries regarding them and Gwilym
The person who advised me of the memorial stone also advised me that he knew Pierce Jones who incidentally  also inherited the title of  "Tan Y Wal"  so the forum member will be contacting him in due course

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »
These are kids we have listed as Percy's children. Names not known unfortunately.
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
My great grandfather,  after his mother Annie Maria Kirk (Jones) died young, went to live with his grandfather (Pierce Jones) we have these pics I assume because they must have been given or sent to Him as he and his brother were sent to Halifax in 1915. He probably then knew Percy's kids and was given this picture? Thanks again guys! So interested to hear what the other forum member knows, so he knew Pierce!
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline mull

« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »
Thanks for the pictures Chad and Hugo.

Nothing to add from me at the moment.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2018, 10:49:20 pm »
So then for Percy (Pierce Jr) it seems he had at least 5 children. The 3 we initially found, and perhaps the last 2 being Glyn and Gwilym. Still having a time finding info on Glyn but just started really looking. Any news from the Jones bros mentioned before? Fascinating stuff, I have been looking at these pics my entire life, so nice to put a name to a face. Thanks again guys! Mull, went back and have been trying to piece together your parents and such to fill in the tree. Would you mind sending me info on parents, aunts uncles etc so I can ultimately add you. I can make then private if you so wish. Thanks again, Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2018, 10:53:04 pm »
Also, Mull, what if any info do you have on any of your Nain's siblings, obviously Annie Maria, but do you any knowledge on what happened to their sister Bessie?
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph