Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 84271 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 05:04:58 pm »
While I was there I had a look at photos of crew from the Lifeboat called Thomas and Annie Wade Richards which operated from 1933 to 1953.   One of the photos was of a Richard Jones, a heavily bearded man who I think was second in command of the Lifeboat, could he have been your Richard by any chance.

The reason why I went to the Archives was to see if I could find the elusive Rose but I'm afraid that I couldn't.    I was hoping that she had got married in Llandudno and that it would appear in the Marriage Registers but I looked at both St George's and Holy Trinity but couldn't find an entry to match the info you have provided

The was only one entry for a Rose Jones and she lived at Tyn Y coed Terrace on the Great Orme, her father was John Jones a boatman.  That Rose married Edward Goodey from London so it wasn't the Rose you are looking for.
Another entry that caught my attention was for Mary Jones who was a 40 year old spinster and lived at Severn House Augusta Street but her father was a Thomas Jones deceased.

Offline mull

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 05:18:44 pm »
Thanks for the work you have put into this Hugo. I will have agood look at it later but I have to go pick up my car from repairs to the exhaust. Need the car for a trip to Oban in the morning.
Hope you are keeping dry and warm in North Wales. Weather forecast for tonight is bad. For a change we have just enjoyed 3 good days, sunny ,very calm, dry but heavy frost overnight. Northerly Gale forecast for us tomorrow so it looks like it is heading our way.
Stay safe everyone.

Offline mull

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »
Hi Hugo, Just had another look at the Penrhynside Pages someone put on this website a year or 2 back. The pages I have detailing the people living in Tan Y Wal are 54 and 55,  part of a detailed record of people living in the village. It must have taken a lot of research to put it all together.
It will be very interesting to see how close Uncle Hugh was related to me. I can remember spending a lot of time as a little boy  with him in his workshop watching him sole and heel shoes and boots. I think by 10 years of age I could have repaired a pair of shoes with steel tips myself. Workshop bench had that great view over Penrhyn Bay and along the coast. When he was not working in the Tan Y Wal workshop he occasionally helped at another cobblers in the Market hall behind the Palladium. This could have been a relatives shop. 
I can recal my mother saying there was an Anglesey conection with Tan Y Wal.

Looking at the pages in this document 4 and 5, No 2 Mount Pleasant shows an Ivor Shields who I used to knock aruond with when staying at my nains. We spent many hours on the mountain  behind Penrhynside also visits to the outdoor swimming pool towards Deganwy and Rhos on Sea. If I remembewr correctly I was one day older than Ivor, not saying what year yet. Document says the Shields family moved on to Deganwy in the 1970s . I wonder if Ivor is still around ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 01:10:12 pm »

Looking at the pages in this document 4 and 5, No 2 Mount Pleasant shows an Ivor Shields who I used to knock aruond with when staying at my nains. We spent many hours on the mountain  behind Penrhynside also visits to the outdoor swimming pool towards Deganwy and Rhos on Sea. If I remembewr correctly I was one day older than Ivor, not saying what year yet. Document says the Shields family moved on to Deganwy in the 1970s . I wonder if Ivor is still around ?

I'm guessing at the mid 40's as I was in John Bright's and I think he was a year or two ahead of me.    Didn't know him to talk to though.  Did Ivor have a middle name?

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 01:19:58 pm »
I remember a Barry Shields at JBGS in the early 60s.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 06:26:22 pm »
This is a copy of the entry I saw in the Archives yesterday and I was wondering if there was a property in Augusta Street called Severn House.
It might just be a coincidence that their name was Jones too.
I'll find out the answer in the Street Index at the Archives next time I go there.

Just found out that there was a house by that name in Augusta Street per North Wales Chronicle dated 23rd Sept 1882

Offline Helig

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:37 am »
I cannot find a marriage between Emlyn Thomas and Rose Jones/ Rosetta Jones. This is not just in North Wales but in the UK having searched FreeBMD.

Do you think the Rosetta Jones would have been your Aunty Rose?

Helig.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2016, 11:33:01 am »
Had a quick look on Ancestry - just put names in:

Offline mull

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2016, 11:42:01 am »
Nice one Philmac.

You could be on to something with that. A lot of Wesh people in Bootle area, north Liverpool at that time. My mother was born in Bootle and I think West Derby must have been the registration district for there as her birth certificate was issued there in 1916.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2016, 12:08:54 pm »
That's a good find by PhilMick, does it help to identify how Rosetta is related to Grace as she is probably the Rosetta Jones who was the witness at Grace's marriage?

They say that the Welsh helped to build Liverpool and I read a book on the Anglesey builders who went to live and work in the construction of houses there.   Apparently all the houses were of the same design and were referred to as the Welsh houses

Offline Helig

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »
I have tried to find that marriage on FreeBMD to no avail. It isn't coming up at all.

Ancestry has the marriage certificate and this shows:

Married 11 September 1920. Emlyn Thomas, age 26, bachelor, Baker, residence at time of marriage: 38 Longfellow Street, father Owen Thomas, plumber. Rosetta Jones, age 27, spinster, 38 Longfellow Street, father John Jones, Verger. Witnesses were: George Stuart Whitford and May Jones.

Helig

Offline Helig

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »
There is a birth registration for Rosetta Jones in the June quarter 1895 in Liverpool.

I am trying to find her in the 1901 and 1911 census returns without success. Grrrr  :(

Helig

Offline Helig

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2016, 02:52:41 pm »
Just looking back at the previous post about John Jones army service records and my memory was right in that his home address was shown as 38 Longfellow Street. That proves a connection between Rosetta Jones and John Jones.

Helig

Offline mull

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2016, 02:58:31 pm »
Just coming round to that myself.
Father John Jones, Verger.
Would that be Verger in Llandegfan if so would look like she was my Taids sister.

Offline Helig

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2016, 11:17:07 am »
Yes, I was surprised to see Rosetta's father, John Jones, had an occupation of Verger. Quite how he is related cannot be established as yet. I seem to recall you thought that Rosetta was a relation on your mother's line.

I am wondering if he was a brother of Pierce Jones, the father of Grace Ellen Jones. Pierce had a younger brother, John, bc 1858. Pierce was born c1850. I have Pierce on the census returns for 1851 onwards. 1851 census shows the family with head of household Jones Jones, age 34, Stone Mason, born Llangystenin. There are three children, Anne aged 4, Joseph, aged 2 and Pierce, aged 6 months. 1861 census Pierce is a stable boy, aged 11 in Bodafon. He is in the household of John Hughes, Farm Bailiff. In 1871 his mother Elizabeth, was a widow aged 59 and born Caerhun. She has three children then, Pierce, aged 20, John aged 13, and Anne aged 24.

I can give you full details of the census returns if you would like them.

Until we can find Rosetta in a census return with her family it is going to be difficult to determine how she was related.

Helig.