Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82667 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2019, 10:30:45 pm »
Snap!        My printer is kaput and I have just bought about £60.00 worth of ink    :(

Don't mention Windows 10 either       &shake&

Offline mull

« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2019, 01:46:54 am »
Try again with the wedding photo.

Offline mull

« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2019, 01:50:54 am »
AARGGGH Failed again. I am going to bed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2019, 11:08:12 am »
Is the photo of Fly your search and rescue dog on the vehicle?   

Offline mull

« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2019, 05:50:21 pm »
Yes that's her.

Offline mull

« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2019, 09:56:09 am »
Hi Rhuddlan,
Can you please do me a favour. I am trying to get in touch with Hugo but it seems his computer is in dry dock for a week or so. Could you please ask him to give me a ring I think he has my phone number.
I am trying to follow up information on Doris C Jones that he found, born Dec 1931 , Ford. How did he get this information ?
In 1931 Ford was a very rural area with only a few scattered farms and cottages until a large housing estate was built in the late 1930s.
The only place of note was a large Roman Catholic Burial ground alongside which was a Convent of the Good Shepherd. If Doris was adopted this may be the answer.
Hope you are enjoying the sunshine. We are "enjoying" typical Hebridean fog this morning Vis about 200 yards, and feels cold.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2019, 11:24:24 am »
Hi Mull,

I think this is the entry Hugo found. It looks like he got it from freebmd which is where I found it.
It appears the Ford is the mother's name rather than the area you refer to.
If you want me to get him to ring you just let me know.
I'm off out in the sunshine for some vitamin D whilst it lasts!
Surname    First name(s)    Mother    District    Vol    Page
Births Dec 1931   (>99%)
Jones    Doris C    Ford    Liverpool    8b   311
NB  The father's name and surname, and mother's name, surname and maiden name are listed, along with the father's occupation. The mother's maiden name was added to the births, marriages and deaths index (BMD) held by the GRO (General Register Office) from the September quarter of 1911. The certificate would verify the details.

Offline mull

« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2019, 09:29:45 am »
Thanks Rhuddlan.
Looks like I will have to keep digging.
Enjoy the sunshine, wish we could.
Damp fog and mist again this morning so will not need water a new lawn today

Offline Helig

« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2019, 09:35:49 am »
Hello Mull,

I like the photo of Fly. He looks as though he would be keen to do a rescue. I was in Moffat yesterday and passed the HQ of the Moffat Mountain Rescue.

I wanted to post about Doris Jones who married Maurice Evans. How sure are you that she was adopted? The reason I ask is that in the event she was an adopted child, then her birth could have been registered under another name. It was usual for adopted children to be given the surname of their adopted parents. They were frequently given different christian names too. The registers mark children who were adopted by putting an asterisk at the side of their name in the birth register. Have you any idea who adopted her and when this was?

Helig

Offline mull

« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2019, 11:06:30 am »
Hi Helig,

Fly is a she now 7 years old . Photo was taken about 2 years back on Oban North Pier for the Sea King helicopter final flypast having flown with them over the years. I like the Moffat area a lot having been on weekend training and exercises in the Devils Beef Tub and Tweedsmuir areas with my previous dog Drift, usually sleeping in Moffat MR base.

I can recall my mother saying that Doris was adopted but I was only young at the time and did not take a great deal of notice.
She lived with Richard Benjamin and Jane Jones and DOB would be about 1930. Date of adoption unknown but Rhuddlan came up with the information that in 1939 she was not shown at thier address, 8 Howard Place,Llandudno.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2019, 03:28:17 pm »
Hi Mull,   I'm back online but only because I'm using the Library computer but I'm more or less out of action for a while as not only has my computer gone kaput, so has my back, so mobility is restricted and I can't really get out and about

The guy who does my computer is on holiday in Spain for two weeks and will pick up my laptop when he comes back on the 6th May so it will be about 3 weeks before I get it fixed, that is if it can be fixed.

Rhuddlan's off on another of his regular monthly holidays and we have had a really sunny Easter here so he'll have to watch out that he doesn't overdose on Vitamin D 

Offline Helig

« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2019, 10:32:14 am »
Hello Mull,

I can tell you Moffat was heaving with people over Easter. The place was full and the businsses must have done very well. The glorious weather helped and it continues today.

You may need to access details on the adoption of Doris in order to establish her birth name. I am not sure how you would go about this.

Helig.

Offline mull

« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2019, 01:48:54 pm »
Hi Helig

Thanks for your efforts.
Sunshine all the way here today as it has been over Easter. Only downside is a South Easterly gale. Locals all walking around in tee shirts ,the visitors are dressed for the Artic.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »
Sorry to hear your back & computer are both playing up Hugo what rotten luck, hope you recover soon.

Back to Doris C Jones, what about buying a copy of the Marriage certificate it could have her father's name on it, but if Richard B Jones & his wife Elizabeth had legally adopted her then his name could possibly appear, so you wouldn't be any further forward. A certificate would cost £11 for a copy to be sent to your home or a cheaper way is to apply on-line for a PDF copy that you print off yourself for £7. If you do decide on this option make sure you have the GRO index reference number or they will charge you an extra £3.

If you are interested in some information on Doris & her husband Ernest Maurice Evans there are two Lasting Tribute Pages on the Funeral-notices.co.uk site.
Doris passed away 14th March 2009 aged 77 (so puts her birth year at 1932) at Ysbyty Gwynedd & Cremated 23rd March. It also states they had been married 55 years (so marriage year 1954).
Ernest Maurice passed away 5th November 2013 aged 85 at Rhiwlas Nursing Home, Flint. They had lived at 43 Cil Y Graig Llanfair PG. There is other information giving family names etc.
There is also an interesting article of an interview with the Rev Ernest Maurice Evans dated 11th July 2008 regarding a book he was writing on the Daily Post website.

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2019, 06:00:50 am »
Are you talking about Doris Calvert/Jones. From a little research I believe this is the adopted lady you are speaking of. I found her while researching the Jones side of my family. Let me know! Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph