Author Topic: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961  (Read 82848 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2017, 12:40:12 am »
Hi Hugo
Lead is from Pierce Jones his sister Ann Jones married Richard Hughes. One of thier children was Hugh.
This would make Hugh my Nains cousin.

Getting back to our flying visit to North Wales it was good to meet up with you. The weather was good, in fact too hot, which meant we could not leave Fly for too long in the back of the car and carry out all our research.

On Tuesday morning we went to the archives in Llangefni and the staff there were very helpfull.
We managed to track the following.
Baptism record for John Theophilus 23 Nov 1884.
Father John Jones Mother Pheobe ( Roberts), Marked as Illegit.
Helig had already picked up on this. The only birth we could find for a John Jones was 19 Mar 1884.
This would tie in with baptism record of John Theophilus on 23 Nov 1884.

We came too the conclusion that he may have lied about his year of birth when signing on as a seaman on 11 Sept 1904, giving his year of birth as 1883 in his Seamans Discharge Book.

We were able too trace Rosetta Jones birth 23 July 1893 and baptism 24 Sept 1893.
It is notable that her mother died shortly after her birth 15 Nov 1893 and might explain why she was "placed" elsewhere for the early years of her life.

Due to the hot weather we could  only stay in the archives until lunchtime.
In the afternoon we visited Llandegfan Church Yard and then Beaumaris.It had been so long since our last visit we had fogotten how nice a place it is.

We hope too return later in the year when it is cooler an we can stay longer in the archives.
Very interested in Pheobe Roberts living in Bodwylog. Was she the mother of John Theophilus.It would be interesting ,did she marry and have any other children and what was her date of death.
This may give a clue to my Taids parentage.

Since coming home I have discoverred 2 Post cards.
The first dated Aug 1908 posted in Port Said when taid was serving on "Pruth" and addressed to my Nain at Severn Cottage ,Back Augusta Street Llandudno.
The other post card was posted in Barry in Oct 1908 and addressed to his father John Jones, CHURCH HIOUSE, Llandegfan, advising him the ship had paid off in Rotterdam and he would contact him later.
I am mystified why this card is addressed to Church House and not Tyn y Fwent ,or had the family moved to Tyn Llan.

There is still a lot to find out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
Mull,  I've copied the article you advised me about and I would imagine that it was Pierce Jones Snr who made that tragic discovery,  I've walked along the coast at that point but didn't notice the memorial at the time.   I hope that it is still there but there have been a number of fatalities on the Little Orme too.   

THE HIDDEN MEMORIAL.
At the foot of the Rhiwledyn cliffs, there is a stone memorial commemorating a fatal accident.
On Monday the 30th of August, 1897, Frederick Stone, a Derby Solicitor, his wife, and their 14 year old son, Hubert, returned to their Mostyn Crescent Hotel having spent the day visiting the Menai Straits. Hubert went out without informing his parents. His father assumed he had gone to the beach, but when he failed to return he went to search for him. He found no trace and the following morning reported the fact at Llandudno Police Station.
Frederick Stone travelled to Colwyn Bay and Conwy and also walked over the Little Orme. He offered a reward for any information as to his son’s whereabouts.
On the 2nd of September, a local plasterer, Pierce Jones and two companions, found Hubert Stone’s body. They had taken a boat and rowed around the base of the Little Orme. At the foot of a steep cliff just above the high tide mark they discovered his body.
In memory of his son, and as a warning to others, Frederick Stone arranged to construct a memorial to Hubert at the foot of the cliff where the body was discovered. A stone cross was laid flat supported on a plinth of rounded stones a little above the mark of the highest tides.
Visiting the memorial is certainly a very risky business clambering over rocks, and the time to do so safely is very limited. Over the years many have mistimed the operation and have had to wade or swim back or to scramble up the cliff and wait for the next low tide, almost twelve hours later.
On the memorial is the inscription,
“Sacred to the memory of Hubert Stone, of Derby who fell and died here on or about August 30/ 1897, aged 14. God grant that we meet again in a Happier Valley.”
Photo: Memorial -Tom Parry Site

Offline Helig

« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2017, 12:28:15 pm »
I was interested to read the results of Mull's visit to Llandudno and the other places relating to his ancestors. There have been some helpful developments in his quest for information on his family.

I can assist with more research if there are any matters on which you are seeking more information. This would be investigating online resources as I am too far from Llandudno, more's the pity.

Helig.

Offline mull

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »
Thanks for the offer Helig. Still a lot to find out.

I am busy this week with the family visiting and will be away training with SARDA this weekend on Arran.
Will be in touch next week.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2017, 04:34:46 pm »
I had a walk on the shore to the Little Orme on Monday hoping to see a memorial for Hubert Stone who tragically lost his life and whose body was found at the bottom of the cliffs of Rhiwledyn by Pierce Jones and two companians.   
I didn't find the memorial although I was in the right area but I did see an unusual man made structure and don't know what it was or why it was there.
After getting back home I read articles on the inquest and the Doctor's report by Tom Parry from Llandudno and I'll go back and have another look time and tide permitting

Offline mull

« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2017, 05:44:06 pm »
Thanks Hugo. Just watch the tide i would hate to see you having to swim back. ££$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:33 pm »
Thanks Mull,  I'll take care when I go there next.   There's a couple of things I want to look at, one of them being that flag like thing on the rocks.
I don't know what it is but it looks a bit odd.  I think that the accident happened around that rock rather than a fall from the cliff itself

Offline mull

« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:38 pm »
Hi Helig,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch but been a hectic time over the past few weeks.

As you can see from my previous posting after our visit to Llangefni we could not stay long enough to follow everything up.
We hope to visit in the winter when we can stop for longer and investigate a bit deeper.

Very interested in Pheobe Roberts, living Bodwylog. Was she the mother of our John Theophilus.
Bodwylog appears on Google earth but there are no buildings there now.
Did she marry and have any more children ?

Going back to my childhood I recall it mentioned that 2 of the brothers had sailed on the same day, from ? one never seen again.
Johns brothers  Thomas 1881,Frederick 1886,Alfred 1888.
Also Zacheriah 1879 and Eliazer 1889.

Just noticed the following in John Jones Seamans Discharge Book. No 27341
Date stamped Shipping Federation Liverpool 23 Sep 1904, and MN office Barry 11Sep1907.
Shows his first ship as " Inverleith " 87253 , Glasgow. Date of Engagement 19.12.00. Fleetwood.Disharge 18.01 01. Runcorn.

After speaking to someone in Llandegfan they can not trace our Jones family living in Tyn Llan Llandegfan but think the address was Tyn y Fwent, Below the cemetary.

Now away to Cornwall for 2 weeks hoping we can get away from all this rain. Will be back early October.

Offline Helig

« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:47 am »
Hello Mull,

I know how you feel about the rain. It has been pretty well much the same here.

I shall do more research and see what I can find for you.

I thought I would post this:

http://llennatur.com/files/u1/Hubert_Stone.pdf

I hope Hugo take great care. Rather him than me!

Helig

Offline mull

« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:10 pm »
Thanks for that.

Looking at the  history of Tan Y Wal Penrhynside.
28 Aug 1940/ 23 Sep 1940. There is a record of a mortgage, Hugh Hughes/Elizabeth Hughes & Robert Thomas, Bodfach, Ffriddoedd Road, Bangor, Retired Master Mariner(486717).
21 Nov 1952, Robert(Richard) Thomas died an d Hugh Hughes cleared outstanding £200.

Who was Robert(richard) Thomas from Bangor and what was his connection with Tan Y Wal ?

Any more news on Tan Y wal since its sale at auction in July ?

Offline Helig

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2017, 10:59:10 am »
Hello Mull,

This is a good site for Welsh Mariners:

http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »
My walking mate Rhuddlan sent me a copy of a newspaper article concerning the sad event of Hubert's death and the Memorial cross.  The cross is a solid piece of Anglesey marble and weighs one and a half ton!
I was still unable to find it when I visited the site again so I had a word yesterday with a retirement friend who is a very good friend of the author of the report in 2004.      Later on I received a phone call from Tom Parry the author of the article and had a very interesting chat with him.

Tom is a well known local character and historian and what Tom doesn't know about the town isn't worth knowing so he told me exactly where to find it.   It's in a position where you have to be very careful so I'll visit it when the time is right.  Tom has taken photos of it and I'll see those photos in due course.

This is part of the Coroner's report at the time

"Dr. Nicol gave evidence of examining the corpse and finding injuries to the legs, the chin, and the chest but that none of them were serious enough to have caused death. In his estimation the boy had been dead two days when discovered. In reply to the Coroner he stated that there were no injuries to the head and that in his opinion shock and cold were the causes of death."

NB    Dr Nicol was the husband of Sarah Nicol of the Sarah Nicol Memorial Hospital that was later the Llandudno Youth Club and much later still one of Mostyn Estates' eyesores in the town

Offline mull

« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2017, 10:05:19 am »
Thanks Hugo.
Still a lot to find out.
Will be on the case again in October when i am back from Cornwall.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2017, 11:02:59 am »
Enjoy your holiday Mull and I hope that the weather improves for you down there in Cornwall.

Just saw Dr Martin on TV last night and it reminded me of the beautiful scenery down there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2017, 12:38:44 pm »
Not much going on in Tan Y Wal when I passed there today, although a car was parked outside the cottage.       I wish that those apples had been there when we visited the place and we could have done some scrumping.
Blackberry and apple pie with ice cream sounds good    $good$