Author Topic: Supermarkets, Grocers and Greengrocers and Butchers.  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Supermarkets, Grocers and Greengrocers and Butchers.
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:03:46 am »
As Christmas approaches and the supermarket frenzy begins, all because the supermarkets are shut for a whole day, I thought that it would be interesting to pool advice on the state of supermarkets locally and shopping alternatives. One reason was because I was in Tesco's in the Junction this week, a place I normally avoid as I have watched the slow decline of this brand, and this store in particular for several years to a dismal and sorry state. Badly stocked shelves, out of date produce on the shelves, basics, such as milk with only a day or so to 'sell by' date. No loose potatoes, always running out of items. Once, when I pointed this out to a Tesco spotty youth, he said "well, you should come in earlier".... Besides the ogres, there are couple of very pleasant staff that work there one of whom I've chatted to previously. I told her that although I would never dream of buying meat or especially fish there as the offerings to me often look pretty old and past their best, the displays that day looked particularly grim. She agreed and said that she, who worked there, would never buy meat or fish at Tesco's! She also confided that she despaired of the store management.

I don't particular like the Asda experience, so locally, Mrs B uses Aldi, Meat on The Corner in Mochdre for all our meat and The Mermaid for all our fish. And Waitrose in Chester (or perhaps Menai Bridge if we happen that way) and occasionally a Booths (excellent stores) in England. Rarely, Sainsbury in Rhyl. 

So, what are the thoughts on local grocery etc shopping, and who recommends where?     
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Supermarkets, Grocers and Greengrocers and Butchers.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:37:40 pm »
Agree with all you say Bosun.  Waitrose(and Mostyn ?) are missing a trick not having even a small one (like Shrewsbury) in Three Towns area. Like you I have to go to Chester or Menai Bridge to access a better range of items in longer date.  The rest (Aldi, Adsa, Tesco etc)are all morphing into one! Incidentally for meat we use Bob Evans in Market Street.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:50:23 pm »
I have virtually given up doing the shopping in person. The downside is I don't get to see the Three Towns so often but I don't miss struggling to find a place to park.
We regularly use the online ordering and delivery directly to us from Sainsbury's and Waitrose.
The Sainsbury's orders are usually faultless  with long dates and always on time with friendly courteous drivers. These orders come from the Rhyl store.
There is a minimum order of £40 but I paid a £30 annual delivery charge which includes delivery anytime and any day.
The Waitrose orders come from the Chester store. There is a £60 minimum order but delivery is free.
They do change items more than Sainsbury's but if an item has a sell by date of the following day they give you the item for free.
The Waitrose drivers don't seem as capable as the Sainsbury ones, i.e some have trouble reversing but then we are in a rural location.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:55:14 pm »
Here speaks a Yorkshire lass who minds her brass as we say.
In the last year I have shifted my custom mainly to Aldi and reckon the savings are good. Their fresh meat is very good and also British. I refuse to buy meat sourced in either Thailand or South America, so have been highly satisfied with what we have had. Admittedly the store can end up like a jumble sale with all the weekly offers, but I don't go to browse, I need to feed us and our guests.

Once a month, since I had a health scare 2 years ago, I take advantage of the Asda £1 home delivery slot, for heavy things. I have had more 'substitutes' and damaged goods than I care to count. Last delivery I had a toilet cleaner which leaked all over 13 more items. We had a fight to get the cost refunded, as their 'policy' only covers up to 14 items. As their customer service dept. is in South Africa you get to the pitch of banging your head on a wall. Also ....why send 4 tins of pineapple when I ordered Grapefruit Segments.?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:58:49 pm »
I have virtually given up doing the shopping in person. The downside is I don't get to see the Three Towns so often but I don't miss struggling to find a place to park.
I wonder how many others feel the same as Hollins? .....how much is Llandudno losing out, because of the poor parking, and with more pay and display on the way.........? 

Re shopping.....we are shopper hoppers, but mostly M&S, a friend told us about B&M, their basic foods are very competitive, worth a look if your passing.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »
Agreed SteveH. Diet Coke for my OH, Lucozade, Jellies, all less than anywhere else.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 08:05:19 am »
Asda's customer service department is, or was in the Philippines, which I only know because of an issue we've recently had with them.  The other week an order never materialised, apparently because the driver 'couldn't find us'. Like Hollins, we live in a rural backwater, but Asda had been delivering weekly to us for the past 10 months.  The CS people made several promises, not one of which was kept. Finally, I got the number of the local 'off store shopping' manager (our delivery originates in Abergele area) and had a very long chat with him, the upshot of which was that we did get everything, albeit two days later, and that Asda have known for a while that their off-shore CS was a disaster, so they've allegedly terminated the contract with the Philippine outfit. However, we routinely expect at least 4 items substituted on each delivery.

Waitrose also have more than their fair share of subs, I feel, with Sainsbury and Tesco coming out ahead.  Tesco, however, have seen a steady decline in the store offerings so we tend to favour Sainsbury as the only reliable one, for the moment. Just wished M & S would do deliveries...

PS: both Waitrose and Sainsbury's reckon there's too much competition in Llandudno to establish a major outlet here.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.