Author Topic: My Favourite films  (Read 30881 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
My Favourite films
« on: October 19, 2016, 07:14:06 am »
From South Pacific to Metropolis the film industry has given us a great deal.  But what's your list of all time favourite films?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: My Favourite films
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:15:58 am »
I'm a Sci Fi enthusiast so for me Kubrick's 2001 probably heads the list as one of the best films ever made, with 2010, the Star Wars saga and the various Star Trek films coming into the list.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 01:58:50 pm »
As a life long Trekkie myself, I too always looked forward to their release.
The first 3 were excellent, but I've been disappointed with them ever since, and that's a heck of a lot of films.
I must be an old romantic, but the great films for me include 'White Christmas', 'The King and I' and 'My Fair Lady'
Oh, and I love all the old Hammer Horror classics.

One thing about films of the last 20 years or so, I can't sit through them because I can't actually HEAR them.
The dialogue is frequently mumbled, spoken in indistinguishable whispers and more often than not is drowned out by booming sound effects or intrusive incidental music.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:00:41 pm »
Action - anything (except those awful Kill Bill films) by Tarantino
Comedy - This is Spinal Tap
Western - Gotta be Clint - early Clint preferably.

The worst type of films I find are invariably TV spin offs. I've not seen your Star Trek so can't comment but
I can't think of a good one I have seen - Bilko, Dad's Army, The Inbetweeners, Alan Partridge, Starsky and Hutch even the Simpsons. All Rubbish.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:28:25 pm »
Like you Fester, I'm sick and tired of the dialogue in films and TV programs being drowned out by the background so called music,  I don't know why they think it enhances the the experience, most of it is bloody awful, sometimes just single notes on a piano aaaasgggghhh.    ¢¢## $elvis$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:42:09 pm »
Not to mention those films that are so darkly lit, you mlght as well listen to the radio.......

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:09:08 pm »
Turn it up & take your sunglasses off!  8)
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:58 am »
Bought myself a 'Sound Bar',  (about £129 from Currys or whatever it's called these days)...it really boosts the volume and sound quality of my telly.
But as far as films go, it doesn't really address the audio problem.
The louder it is, the more the sub-whoofer booms, the more distracting the overall effect is.
My wife spends 75% of every film answering my constant question, 'what did he just say?'
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:09:51 am »
We have a separates sound system: JBL active sub, 4 x Tannoy L and R column speakers, 2 x JBL Rear effects speakers and a Cambridge audio centre channel, all controlled by a Pioneer VSX 921 amp. Because the amp is controlled in turn by an iPad app, I can tweak the audio for any show to suit the room and listeners.

What that does show however, is that rarely are two films mixed exactly the same. We have most films on a media server, so they should be roughly equal in mixing terms, but they're far from it. I often have to tweak the centre channel so we can hear the muttered dialogue, or tweak the Tannoys and JBLs to reduce the effects.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »
Are you sure Fes.or should that be 75% what did she say and the other 25% what did he say?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 11:58:36 am »
I'm a Sci Fi enthusiast so for me Kubrick's 2001 probably heads the list as one of the best films ever made, with 2010, the Star Wars saga and the various Star Trek films coming into the list.
I think Kubrick is fantastic too. The Shining is one of my favourite films.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:28 am »
Saw a great film the other day: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Great acting and an unpredictable story. And anything with Woody Harrelson in it is a winner, in my book.  $good$

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/14/three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri-review-frances-mcdormand

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »
We watched ‘Bad times at the El Royale’ last weekend. A very good thriller, somewhat reminiscent of a Tarantino film but without the gore.  $good$

Offline SteveH

Re: films
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 11:54:22 am »
Looking at the release of some films, I noticed this write up........   scary or bad taste and hopefully fiction............

Songbird
2023, the COVID-23 virus has mutated and the world is in its fourth year of lockdown. Immune to the virus, a brave courier races against time to save the woman he loves from a quarantine camp. Starring KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Alexandra Daddario and Demi Moore.

Offline SteveH

Re: My Favourite films...New UK film studio
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 09:53:03 am »
A bit of good news for a change.

La La Land movie studio reveals plan for new £700m UK film and TV complex with 4,500 jobs
Development will be the first outside the US for Sunshine Studios, who hosted box office hits like La La Land

A £700million film and TV studio complex to be built in Hertfordshire will create more than 4,500 jobs.

The Sunshine Studios development in Broxbourne has been announced by global investor Blackstone and real estate giant Hudson Pacific Properties.

It will be the first Sunset Studios operation outside of the US, where it has four studios that have hosted major box office hits including When Harry Met Sally, La La Land and numerous Academy Award-winning films.

Blackstone and Hudson Pacific have acquired a 91-acre site, 17 miles north of central London, through a joint venture for £120m.

The companies said the total investment in the project, which will create more than 4,500 permanent jobs, is expected to be in excess of £700m including the land purchase.

cont https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/la-la-land-movie-studio-21200964?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4