Author Topic: Llandudno Place Names  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Exbrat

Llandudno Place Names
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:31:34 am »
Can anyone please advise me whether there is a place named Llandudus or Llandudos in Wales or is it possible that this is a way that local people might have referred to Llandudno in the past? The names that I have mentioned are recorded on my fathers birth certificate. The 'o' and the 'u' are not clear and could be read either way.
I have found Llandudus railway station mentioned on line and several references to  Llandudo but nothing definite. Any advice would be appreciated.
Exbrat

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Place Names
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:22 am »
It has to be Llandudno, I'd have thought.

There is certainly no Llandudus railway station, although there was a Llanddulas station, near Colwyn Bay.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/llandulas/index.shtml

Do you have any more information you could give us?

Offline Exbrat

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:36:13 am »
Thank you for your reply .I would agree that it is probably Llandudno but If you Google Llandudus you will find several references for census records where the name is used.The railway station is mentioned here at Para 8.16:
www.tikaro.com/features/grand_tour/journal_190008.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:56:48 am »
Definitely Llandudno:

"Fashionable English Welsh seaside resort, quantities of people. Pattie and I walked part way over the Big XXX Head and spent afternoon on rocks and pier. Great many steamers and row boats, bathing machines and tents, no sand."

Big XXX Head is now the Great Ormes Head.

Offline Exbrat

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »
Once again thanks for your help. Perhaps all will be revealed if we manage to find his actual birth certificate.We found his place of birth mentioned in the 1881 census record  for Westminster London but so far we have not been able to find a record of his birth. The name we are researching is George Deakins born about 1878 in (Llandudus) Llandudno.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
have you tried searching with different name spellings such as Dekins or Deacons I have found ancestors using this device, my great great grandfather Samuel Lowrie was listed as Lawrie  in early census returns, the enumerater would often be writing names down through guesswork from what people told him. My other Great grandfather Hamlet was listed as "Amlet" in one census!

Also I found the entry you refer to on Ancestry and would say that the place name is definitely "Llandudno"

Offline Trojan

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »
There was a Deacons Garage in Llandudno:

Offline Exbrat

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
We liked the pictures and will bear them in mind. The family connections with Llandudno are that the mother and two children were born there.The father George senior originated in Hereford and it appears that the family moved to London before the1881 Census.
We are learning fast and we are progressing several lines of investigation.The helpful advice and friendly attitude of this Forum is much appreciated.