Author Topic: Brexit Debate  (Read 18691 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Brexit Debate
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 08:39:49 am »
I have to say I have no idea what will happen. There's usually an element of predictability in these sorts of situations but not in this one.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:57 am »
Jeremy Corbyn makes me laugh. He has been given open goals by the Government over the last few weeks, yet not only fails to take advantage of every one but manages to make himself look the muppet yesterday!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:26 am »
I have to agree. And the Corbynistas are just as feckless and incapable.  It's really worrying that not only do we have a government that's completely broken but the so-called opposition makes a re-make of the Titanic look tame by comparison.

I wonder if yet another referendum could make a difference? I have noticed one fascinating thing: those of the nasty party (the Tories) that want Brexit are invariable extremely well-off, which I would have thought might have warned those to the left that Brexit will only benefit the rich.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2018, 02:59:18 pm »
Isn't that the way the Tories have always worked Ian?     Didn't dozy Dave utter the words " we're in this together"    before he instigated the referendum on leaving the EU and then turned a blind eye to his Chancellor avoiding paying 2 million pounds in Corporation Tax
As for Jeremy Corbyn,  I didn't see his lips move once when the referendum was going on unlike the other day when he muttered something, so we can add liar to his growing number of faults.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 09:12:33 am »
I agree with Mr Putin:

"“Was it not a referendum?” the Russian president said. “Someone disliked the result, so repeat it over and over? Is this democracy? What then would be the point of the referendum in the first place and what is the sense of direct democracy?”"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2018, 11:55:27 am »
We do not have a constitution in this country and we don't govern by plebiscite. The referendum had no actual authority - it was simply to sound out the prevailing mood. 

But let's examine the facts: a mere 17,410,742 voted to Leave out of  a total 46,551,983 of the voting population.  In other words, 29,141,241 did not vote to Leave.

Now, who would possibly have an interest in seeing Europe become less united and less coherent? Let's see...oh yes;  that nice Mr Putin doesn't want very large and united countries on his doorstep. But then it's not as if the Russians ever meddle in EU elections, is it...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2018, 02:31:50 pm »
[smg id=4101]

Offline Hugo

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2018, 04:51:31 pm »
I agree with Mr Putin:

"“Was it not a referendum?” the Russian president said. “Someone disliked the result, so repeat it over and over? Is this democracy? What then would be the point of the referendum in the first place and what is the sense of direct democracy?”"

Is this the direct democracy that Mr Putin favours?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alexai-navalny-arrest-russia-putin-protests-prison-opposition-leader-moscow-a8552106.html

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2020, 06:36:43 pm »
REPRESENTATIVES of the French media are heading to North Wales to hand the mic to a Brexiteer.

Ahead of Britain's departure date of Friday, January 31, France Info radio journalist Franck Ballanger is seeking a Leaver about to hear their views on Britain's future outside the EU.

A spokesperson for the station said: "We are France Info and we are making a UK Tour to meet Brexiters.

"With Brexit coming soon, we would like to make some reports with people from England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland and will be near Colwyn Bay between Saturday, January 25 and Monday 27.

"That will be an interview for a radio, which will not be broadcasted live as well as a video for our social media.

"If you are ready to answer our questions, please contact us to organize an interview,  antoine.deiana@radiofrance.com or by calling +33674731893."

https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/18179430.france-info-radio-seeks-leave-voter-colwyn-bay-interview/?ref=rss

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2020, 11:07:52 pm »
Job done.  $drink$

Offline mull

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2020, 12:15:16 am »
Job only just started, not done yet.

Take it you are happy to crash out before 2021 because that is the way it is going.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2020, 10:59:58 am »
From The Register today:

"I resigned myself to belonging to a pariah nation long ago, a realisation born from half a lifetime's accumulation of World Cup quarter final exits and Eurovision nul points. And always feeling that you're on the back foot gives rise to a desire to change stance. As I read it, Brexiters wanted to jump before they were pushed.

To get away from all the bluster on both sides, I thought I'd spend a long weekend at the Angoulême Cartoon Festival. But my brief aller-retour will itself represent a life-changing transformation. I set off on Thursday as a European citizen; when I return on Sunday, it will be as a politely apologetic visitor from an island nation.

Even though it's only a train journey, I have brought along my passport in case an SNCF Herr Flick limps down the carriage to loom over my seat and bark: "Vos papiers, schnell, espèce de rosbif Britischer pig-dog de mes couilles."

Unlike Mme D, who continues to spit venom about the whole matter in a fashion that would put a Ridley Scott alien to shame, I am looking towards a brighter technological future freed from the yoke of European legislation. It means we Brits no longer have to submit impotently to the fascist diktat from Europe that insists we can install Huawei kit in 5G masts if we feel like it, or not if we don't. Brexit means we are at last freed to obey whatever the Americans instruct us to do."

Offline SteveH

Re: Brexit Debate.......Post-Brexit trade deal
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2020, 03:47:21 pm »
The EU and UK have reached a post-Brexit trade deal, ending months of disagreements over fishing rights and future business rules.

At a Downing Street press conference, Boris Johnson said: "We have taken back control of our laws and our destiny."

The prime minister added that although arguments had been "fierce" it was a "good deal for the whole of Europe", driving jobs and prosperity.

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said it was a "fair and balanced" deal.

LIVE: EU and UK agree trade deal
In a press conference in Brussels, the European Commission president said: "This was a long and winding road but we have got a good deal to show for it.

"It is fair, it is a balanced deal, and it is the right and responsible thing to do for both sides."

She added that now was "time to turn the page and look to the future" and that the UK "remains a trusted partner".

There will be a five-and-a-half year transition period for the fishing industry, she indicated.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55435930

Offline SteveH

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2021, 10:11:59 am »
National ID cards no longer valid for travel for Europeans entering UK
The Home Office said the ID cards are some of the most abused documents seen by Border Force officers

Most Europeans will need a valid passport to enter the UK from Friday as the Government will cease to allow access to those travelling on national identity cards.

From October 1, following the change that was announced a year ago, most citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area, and Switzerland will no longer be allowed to enter the UK using a national identity card.

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/national-id-cards-no-longer-valid-for-travel-for-europeans-entering-uk/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2023, 10:21:35 am »
Majority in North Wales now think Brexit was a mistake

In pro-remain Arfon just 24% now think leaving the EU was a good idea while in leave-voting Clwyd South a mere 35% still thinks the UK's exit from Europe was a good idea, new poll shows

Public opinion on Brexit in North Wales appears to have shifted significantly according to a recent poll. The number of people regretting the decision to leave the European Union (EU) now outnumbers those in favour of Brexit in every North Wales constituency.

The poll, from Focaldata, involved collecting data from 10,009 respondents on the British mainland between December 12 and December 16 2022. The North Wales constituency with the most pro-EU sentiment was Arfon with 60% saying Brexit was a mistake and just 24% in favour. The most marginal was Clwyd South where 49% thought it was a mistake and 35% still maintained it was the correct decision.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/poll-shows-majority-north-wales-26130904