Author Topic: Brexit Debate  (Read 18712 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Brexit Debate
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:23:49 am »
Marmite and many other leading brands are already going up in price.
The weak pound is the over riding reason... a battle between retailers and manufacturers will ensue, but the ultimate loser will be the consumer.
The thin end of a very big wedge perhaps?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Brexit Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:54:00 am »
This is only the start.

Gove , Boris , Redwood and the other passengers on the Brexit bus never mentioned this.
Whats the bet within a very short space of time we are all going to be a lot poorer, unless you have managed to stash plenty of money offshore as most of the prominent leavers have, or do I read Private Eye too much.

How have we got into this mess ? Who in thier right mind would agree something without FULLY investigating the cost ?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:21:12 pm »
This is only the start.

Gove , Boris , Redwood and the other passengers on the Brexit bus never mentioned this.
Whats the bet within a very short space of time we are all going to be a lot poorer, unless you have managed to stash plenty of money offshore as most of the prominent leavers have, or do I read Private Eye too much.

How have we got into this mess ? Who in thier right mind would agree something without FULLY investigating the cost ?

David Cameron took a gamble, to further consolidate his position, but lost spectacularly.
Politicians brought us here.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 08:42:51 am »
I was learning about TTIP yesterday and how those principals might flood the free market which come out of Brexit. Very scary stuff. We're dooooooooooomed I tell ya. Soon we'll all be eating giant chemical chickens which are 4 minutes old, then having to pay a grand to get treated at the hospital for the dodgy stomachs "Mutant Chick" will inevitably bring us!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 12:27:17 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37670091

Here is that dangerous  idiot Boris Johnson, writing a newspaper column in February 2016, clearly stating that Brexit is a terrible thing.... and advocating REMAIN!
All the risks he cites if we 'Leave', are exactly the opposite to what he campaigned for only a few weeks later.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:50:34 am »
Here we go,,, Brexit to bring higher food prices, lower availability and poorer quality.
What a surprise.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40530700
Fester...

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »
I read the article about Ryanair yesterday     http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-brexit-michael-oleary-open-skies-eu-european-parliament-a7836511.htmlyesterday,     and thought " Scare tactics ",   now todays story on Easyjet     http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40604375  Makes you think how many others?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:47:54 pm »
In terms of Ryanair, we should be so lucky.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 06:40:34 pm »
Ryanair not involved. Eire is not leaving the EU.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
No, but Ryanair might leave the UK.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 07:41:29 am »
Not just Ryan Air, here goes Easyjet....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/14/easyjet-austria-eu-flights-brexit

More and more politicians and business leaders are coming out to publicly state that Brexit will be the disaster that some of us always thought that it would be, why they could not have said this openly before the referendum I've no idea. The lies the 'Leavers' told have been exposed as just that, lies, and the future is dire for our children. The validity and binding of the country to the referendum result is under open debate with the Lib Dems stating as policy their intention for a further referendum. But what exactly is the Labour policy? 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 07:52:48 am »
I suspect the big problem around the last Brexit ref. was that it didn't matter what either side said. Essentially, what seems to have swayed most were the scare stories about mass immigration from Turkey and Northern Africa and the Pro-Brexit voters thought they could simply pull up the drawbridge and nestle down safely, stopping all those nasty foreigners getting in.  What they chose not to notice was that the bulk of our immigration wasn't the EU: it was Commonwealth, and specifically Pakistan and India.   

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 11:06:57 am »
Ian, you are more than likely correct that the issues you describe added to the hysteria of 'Leave' as did a woefully lacklustre and insipid 'Remain' campaign. However, looking to the future and reading all the comment, it appears that there is a growing realisation of the horrors of Brexit, and a growing movement to put it right.

Realistically? I wonder what the future holds.

Is speculation good for the soul? 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 11:52:31 pm »
I would wager a tidy sum that there will be NO Brexit.
You heard it here first.
Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »
I'm afraid that Brexit will continue, you can't change your mind just because things are not looking good at present.   It was the first past the post system just like it was at the General Election.
Look what has happened to the Tory Party since then, it has imploded on itself but that doesn't mean that they should go     It's the system we have and we are stuck with it because neither of the two largest parties want to change it.
Hammond's comments today can't have helped the Tory party either,   MP's are public sector employees so is he including these MP's in his latest comments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40623343