Author Topic: South of France  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
South of France
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:41:32 pm »
We recently returned from a short stay with some friends who were staying for a longer period at Ste Maxime, a few miles west of Cannes. My wife and I had not been to the area before and it was very pleasant to be taken around and visit places like Cannes and St Tropez..

Despite not being too interested in boats, we could not help but be impressed by the vast array of boats in the various marinas and harbours. As one of our friends said "sell a few of these and it would pay off the UK National Debt".

Something called the NRJ Musical Awards 2011 was being staged at the Cannes Grand Auditorium. We did not recognise anyone we knew but there were lots of photographers about complete with their stepladders!

This 'little' vessel caught our eye in the harbour at St Tropez.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:44:06 pm by Bellringer »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: South of France
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »
Did you put an offer in then for that little vessel that caught your eye Bellringer? 

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:30 pm »
I offered some euros but I think he wanted roubles (or whatever the Russian currency is)!!!

The way a lot of the vessels were packed in like sardines, some of the 'drivers' would have to have great skill to get them in and out of their berths/moorings.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:25:45 am »
This 'little' vessel caught our eye in the harbour at St Tropez.

Wonder which of our MPs is claiming that as a second home?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Daven

• http://www.pincffloyd.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »
Mrs Daven & I love the South of France and have visited it many times. Stayed at Nice, Nimes, Montpellier, Arles and Tarascon and travelled the entire length from Spain to Italy (not in one go though). Driving on the Corniches between Nice and the Italian border is breathtaking.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »
Have you ever ventured onto the Italian Riviera, San Remo etc?

Offline Daven

• http://www.pincffloyd.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 02:46:33 pm »
No, stopped at the first town we came to, Ventimiglia, had a bite of lunch there, then headed north into the maritime Alps. In no time we had more altitude than anywhere in the UK and we were in a car!!

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:13:11 pm »
We found a beautiful little Hotel in Nice called the Lido Hotel, it's one street back off the Promenade des Anglais directly behind The Negresco Hotel on the Rue Commdt Bérrétta. A cheap flight from Liverpool and a week’s local bus ticket bought at Nice airport and you've got yourself a really good holiday.   $eu
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »
I love Nice, last time on walking fronm the port into town we found a lovely old streetmarket tucked away in the back streets, the first time I went we stayed in a campsite called "Camp du Pylon" in St Juan Les Pins so called because of the huge pylons around the place, one night we were there a man was shot  :o