Author Topic: Boarding House in Gloddaeth St Llandudno  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Julia

Boarding House in Gloddaeth St Llandudno
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:06:56 pm »
Hi All,
I am new here and trying to piece together some family history/mystery.
Back in the mid 1950 as a young child I was sent to live with what I was told was my "aunt Jean" but I can find no Aunt Jean in our family history that would fit in with the dates. What I did find was an Alice May Page who Married a Sam Roberts, and my thoughts are she called herself Jean but I cant confirm that.
So what I remember - The boarding house was well established and was in Gloddaeth Street Llandudno. Standing outside the building looking up the street to what was then the Odeon Cinema the bparding house was on the left hand side of the street. I remember clearly the name Jean and she lived with a man I think his first name was Sam and there surname was Roberts. From looking at archives there is a Roberts family with the initial Mr and Mrs J Roberts who ran the Dunoon boarding house back in 1951 of course back then it was not as large as it is today so may have been expanded at some point. I remember Jean was a very sick lady spent most of her time in bed with chest infections with chain smoking ha ha.
Does anyone know the history of the Dunoon hotel or its owners back in the mid 50s ? or  any on formation on a lady called jean who with her husband rand a boarding house in Gloddaeth st ? I live there for a little while even went to primary school so was around the age of 8 or so.
Would love to find out who these people actually were.
Thanks for any help
Julia

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Boarding House in Gloddaeth St Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:19:09 pm »
Why not approach the owners and ask if they have any info. to offer?

I traced our house's owners back to when it was built in the late 1840s and most people were really helpful.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Boarding House in Gloddaeth St Llandudno
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 02:25:07 pm »
Hi, I have got a couple of Llandudno brochures with hotels listed,  one from the late 1930's or early 40's which has the Dunoons proprietors  as Mr and Mrs J. Pugh Roberts, the later one from 1954 has the proprietor Mr Frederic Lees., hope this helps.
Looking at an earlier source, from 1929 The Llandudno directory, there is no listing for the Dunoon Hotel but lists a Mrs Pugh Roberts at number 24 &22 - Mill House. The hotel as it is now looks like two or more buildings merged. there was another property number 26, called Marshlands.