Author Topic: John (aka Jack) Owen bn abt 1875 Llandudno  (Read 6189 times)

Offline jom

Re: John (aka Jack) Owen bn abt 1875 Llandudno
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 06:31:38 am »
Hi hugo,

Thanks for that snippet from the archives.  Thomas mother died in 1887 when Thomas was 1 year old.  John remarried the following year and two children with second wife Laura.  They were living in Colne Cott. as far as I can tell, till some time between Oct 1893 and Mar 1894 then, as the second of the two children Edward was baptised in the Mar of 1894 and John and Laura's address is noted as Penygwaith.

Here goes Hugo and hope this helps but from my end of the World looks horrendously confusing:

Taliesin, Madoc St.; then the following cottages back Madoc St i.e. Erskine Cott Bk Madoc St. ; Owen's Yard Bk Madoc St.; Hughes Cott.,; Brooke's Yard; Williams Yard; Dylys Cotts; St. George Place (Still back Madoc Street); the comes Colne Cotts back Madoc Street; then go in to Back Augusta St. at Adelaide Cotts; Abergavenny Cotts bk Augusta; Glan y wern bk Augusta; Severn Cott bk Augusta then 1 Edward Street off Augusta; No 2 Edward st; Merchion cott Albert Street; followed by Oxton Cott back Caroline St.

I'm afraid YES, John OWEN pier official at Glyn Cott. Old Rd. is another.  He is actually the John aka Jack subject of another current discussion and is the brother of the Thomas mentioned here   _))*  Sending me hysterical with all these Johns!

Offline jom

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 11:56:33 am »
Forgot in which query this is posted and realise John OWEN of Glyn Cottage in 1911is the subject of THIS enquiry.  Ooo REALLY getting to me now  :o

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 10:46:29 pm »
Thanks Jom for posting that Census information.   Colne Cottage was in Back Madoc Street and for your info that street is sandwiched between Madoc Street and Mostyn Street.
It was a busy place in it's time with lots of small cottages and builders yards but most of them have been demolished over the years

Offline jom

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 11:11:09 pm »
Thanks for that Hugo.  Certainly helps to build a picture and that photo is tremendous.  Very atmospheric  Will investigate Edward Owen.  May have been a relative. Not in my tree as yet but do have Owen tradespeople in it.  (Painter, Decorator, Plumber).  Still no sign of the certificate.  May be today.  Just been Skyping my Mum who has had her memory jogged a tad by our research and now seems to think that we are on the right track ie my mysterious Sally, Eric and Awenna are of one family and Glyn of another.  See soon

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 08:39:07 am »
You are probably aware of it Jom but the National Library of Wales has Welsh Newspapers on line.    The Llandudno Advertiser is the one to cover events in Llandudno and that may help in your ongoing research.
The only trouble is that it just covers up to 1910 at the moment, but it may be useful for you up to then.

Offline jom

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 01:11:33 am »
Yes Hugo, but thank you all the same.  I have found previously an article on Enoch OWEN (a relative, of course, ha ha) which detailed his involvement in a burglary and stealing 6s, if memory serves.  He was sent to reform school and then later sadly died in the WWI on the Somme.

Can certainly pick up some great snippets.  Cheers