The Local > Genealogy & Research

Robert Edward and Sarah Anne (Davies) WILLIAMS

(1/7) > >>

jom:
I am trying to discover if Sarah Ann is my relation and also whether she may be the mother of family fable "Eric".

So far I have discovered that this couple were in 43, Clifton Rd, Llandudno in 1939 (1939 register).  This shows a son Robert Eric bn 1930.  I think this Sarah Ann was born DAVIES (although another surname listed is OWEN), and married Robert Edward in 1920, having done fairly rigorous searches for marriages.

My relations were Sally and son Eric bn abt 1928 and living in a B and B / guest house in about 1946.  Sally may have been born Sarah Ann DAVIES daughter of David and Emily Agnes (Owen) DAVIES of Ormonde Terrace.  She also had a daughter we believe.  Nothing is known by the family of her husband.  Eric was said to have fallen from the Orme collecting eggs, as a relatively young lad and sustained a head injury.  Any help would be most welcome but firstly I wonder if some one may be kins enough to look up 43 Clifton Road for me in the 1939 Directory if ther is one or one of a slightly later date.  I am interested to know if it was a B and B or Guest house.

Ever hopeful

PhilMick:
Hi Jom - http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,367.msg13162.html#msg13162

Could this be a distant cousin?

Look under the murder most foul on this forum:

The murderer was John Thomas Davies, a 46 year old factory worker, of Clifton Road, Llandudno.

It was Llandudno's first recorded murder and took place at Jubilee House, 24 Lloyd Street, on June 2 1970.

The victim, 72 year old Mrs Florence Roberts, was stabbed twice by Davies, on his way to attack his 43 year old girlfriend who was also stabbed. His girlfriend however, recovered after hospital treatment.

Davies made his getaway aboard a Crosville bus, which was stopped by Police at Deganwy. Davies stated "I killed the wrong woman"

He pleaded guilty to murder at Chester Assizes Court, and was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Cambrian:
Jom,

A couple of things of interest:

Clifton Road was largely made up of guest houses and B&B properties, over the years many have been converted into flats and holiday flats.

In 1939, the head of household at 43 was Robert E Williams.  The property was also called "Windermere".

In the mid-1950s the head of household at 43 was J K Owen. By 1969 it was Ellen Hudson.

Possibly your family has a connection with J K Owen ?

jom:
Thank you Philmick and Cambrian. 
I've no idea re the murder but will investigate that article with great interest.  Our relative philmick or rather your wife's and mine (we are in touch via email and ancestry lol) is one Sarah Ann DAVIES daughter of Emily Agnes OWEN.  I suspect Sarah may have been known as Sally and therefore possibly the mother of the elusive Eric my mother recalls from her first and only meeting when she met her at the age of 16.  My Dad had taken her to Llandudno to meet relatives!  All a bit scary for her as this included his grandparents

As for the fact that no end of properties in Clifton St/Rd were guest houses, Cambrian, makes me feel I should obtain the certificate for one of the children ie Robert Eric perhaps or rather the marriage cert of his parents.  I have a feeling this may just be my mystery Eric whom my mother recalls.  Thank you both for your input.  Hopefully a brick wall demolished ... we shall see $good$

jom:
Sorry Cambrian, have just re-read your kind response and realised that you don't specifically say whether or not 43 Clifton rd was a guest house in 1939.  I did understand that clifton road properties changed with some regularity to being guest house/ private/ flats/ appartments etc so whilst 1939 it may have been doesn't mean it was in 1948 when my mother visited IF this was in fact the right street and household!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version